Is it worth buying a Shelby gt350?

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Buy a used (or new) 2017 GT350 between January to March (winter). Not much difference in 2018s except color.

You don't know if you will like the GT500. What if it has 800 HP. Who wants that? If you end up liking it, wait until 2nd year to clear out bugs and ADM. You should come out clean on trade in 2.5 years or so.

The only way I would wait for GT500 is if I knew I would hear details by spring. But, damn those ADMs.

:cheers:
Sponsored

Reactions: JJ
OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350, trans am ws6, G80
It depends on you and you haven't given me anything to work with. I see you drive a G80. That's a car that's quite different than the GT350, and less expensive. Do you switch cars all the time? Do you try to get bargains? What do you do with your cars?

Yes, there's going to be something new from Ford in the next 1-2 years and Ford will do their best to make it better at least in some way than the GT350.
I'll still have the g80 to DD it and the 350 will be the fun car.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So today I went to the dealership and they got like 5 gt350s. I really want an avalanche grey and thank god they have 1 avalanche grey. I'll see what happens in the coming days and I'll update you guys. And thanks for the posts.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buy a used (or new) 2017 GT350 between January to March (winter). Not much difference in 2018s except color.

You don't know if you will like the GT500. What if it has 800 HP. Who wants that? If you end up liking it, wait until 2nd year to clear out bugs and ADM. You should come out clean on trade in 2.5 years or so.

The only way I would wait for GT500 is if I knew I would hear details by spring. But, damn those ADMs.

:cheers:
Yeah you're right thats what I exactly want to do if I liked the upcoming gt500.

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
Buy a new one at sticker or below. Drive the crap out of it. Do the free race school at Miller and trade up if you get bored.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buy a new one at sticker or below. Drive the crap out of it. Do the free race school at Miller and trade up if you get bored.
I think thats what I'll be doing lol.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
This is the most fun I’ve had driving a car. Feels like a car sized go kart (compared to my Charger).

That said - I am glad for the experience but it doesn’t come without headaches. All cars have quirks. This one has more than all cars I’ve ever owned combined.

If you haven’t driven one - find a way to do that. If I had to make the decision again I’d have to think about it again.. but not for any lack of excellent driving experience.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the most fun I’ve had driving a car. Feels like a car sized go kart (compared to my Charger).

That said - I am glad for the experience but it doesn’t come without headaches. All cars have quirks. This one has more than all cars I’ve ever owned combined.

If you haven’t driven one - find a way to do that. If I had to make the decision again I’d have to think about it again.. but not for any lack of excellent driving experience.
So what are the quirks of the gt350?

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
So what are the quirks of the gt350?
This is going to sound overwhelmingly negative, but frame it in the fact that I still make my car payment every month and am not tempted to trade it in/sell it... and any sunny, dry day it's the main non family'ish thing I think about doing all day long (driving her when I get off work)..

• Exterior panel gaps
  • Thin, bad paint
  • Oil cooler works too well for the street under 60deg ambient
  • May burn up to 1 quart of oil / 500mi (observed) (I check oil every fill up for sanity)
  • If equipped with Sync 3 - will randomly refuse to connect to Apple CarPlay on startup (observed twice)
  • Randomly locks out of reverse - easy to fix, roll an inch in any direction and you're good
  • RIDICULOUS AMOUNT of vibration/rattle/buzz in shifter at certain RPMs
  • because of large amount (10quarts) of heavy oil (5w50) - takes forever to get oil temps up safely
  • passenger seat (R/Recaros) does not raise or lower - so if you're a taller driver, your passenger will feel like they're a foot lower than you in the car and it will appear that way to you also
  • Seat belt strap holder is a button... it will constantly come loose and require re-fastening every third time you get in the car after forgetting to exit without touching the seat back incorrectly... and that seems minor, sure... until you're being cut/choked by your seatbelt.
  • insane amount of brake dust....INSANE.
  • dip stick location prevents you from pulling it straight up and out, so you have to bend it to pull it out every time
  • dip stick readings are inconsistent due to the hack way you have to pull it
  • from the manual, regarding windshield wipers (you can't make this crap up):
    CHANGING THE WIPER
    BLADES
    To service the windshield wipers, we
    recommend the following for easier access
    to the wiper blades.
    1. Switch the ignition to accessory mode.
    2. Switch the wipers on and switch the
    ignition off when the wiper blades are
    in the middle of the windshield.
    3. Service the wiper blades. See the
    Changing Wiper Blades section in the
    Mustang Owner's Manual for more
    information.
    4. Switch the ignition to accessory mode
    and switch the wipers off.
    5. Switch the ignition off.

If you fail to do the above you will scratch the cheap, thin paint off the lip of your hood and have to stare at it while driving for the rest of your time owning the car, sans pro touch up job or complete hood respray...ask me how I know
  • clutch spring is 2 stage, so it's difficult (for me) to tell when the clutch is disengaging or the spring tension is changing (had to swap that out first week)
  • random throttle input issues on downshift rev matches or other scenarios where ESP thinks it needs to prevent you from blipping the throttle quickly

There are more but eh..

Last edited:

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853

Sponsored

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
For what it's worth JJ mine is 2 years old with 5400 week end miles. No issues or problems. I halfway expected some quirks at this price point given the bang for buck performance wise but none yet. I'd say buy the 350. The ADM's will certainly be awful if and when the 500 surfaces and it may take a few years for them to come back down to earth. There is not another car I would've bought below 100k to be honest.

v-man

Still Plays With Cars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 350 LB Black stripe
i had to drive my car 150 miles from rush hour to coming home late night yesterday When I got home I realized just how much I enjoy this car it reminds me of my chevell ss 396 the car is a hoot to drive I only have 650 miles and all systems are good to go this is a special naturally combusted sports car your down size financially is 5 to 7 grand for owning a great car with a VOODOOO hand built engine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For what it's worth JJ mine is 2 years old with 5400 week end miles. No issues or problems. I halfway expected some quirks at this price point given the bang for buck performance wise but none yet. I'd say buy the 350. The ADM's will certainly be awful if and when the 500 surfaces and it may take a few years for them to come back down to earth. There is not another car I would've bought below 100k to be honest.
Yeah you're right there were crazy adms on the 350 I can't imagine how high they will get with the 500
Sponsored