Is it tramlining?

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
cool, thanks guys! with my old mustang, i had a lifetime Firestone wheel alignment on it, and i think it goes by the plate, not the vehicle...and i have the same plates on it. i should really go over there and see if they'll do an alignment on the new stang. if not, what do you guys suggest? any special places to go for an alignment?

also i can't believe the pzeros are really that bad! i had them on my last mustang and never had any tramlining issues. hmm
I can't speak to your local firestone but I use them on my mustang with the lifetime alignment and never have had any issues. I don't think they'll let you transfer it to your new car though. It's tied into the year make model.
Sponsored

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
Tramlining is a first world problem. It's actually a good thing if the suspension and alignment are all proper. It means the tires are gripping so well, that they "fight" each other over imperfections in the driving surface.

In what most of us would consider a "normal" car, the suspension and grip is very compliant and forgiving. This makes for a more pleasurable driving experience.

In high performance setups with wide front tires and lower roll center, tramlining is a result of each front corner saying "You give" when the road surface is imperfect. It's a sign that the tire/corner isn't wanting to yield or be compliant.

It's most noticeable if the alignment isn't proper but usually even then only among cars with wide(r) tires for more grip.

A lot of guys complain about it and in fairness, it does make non-spirited driving/use more taxing. On a long trip, it's best to keep both hands on the wheel because at any moment the car can dart and struggle with the roadways (which as we know aren't perfect). But in the end, after you've resolved any alignment or suspension deficiencies, it's largely "racecar life."

"I swapped to these tires and the tramlining went away." If no other changes to the car were made this is almost always equal to "I reduced the front grip."

Think of it this way, if the brake systems were perfect (meaning you had INSTANT RESPONSE and UNLIMITED GRIP and STOPPING) if you even brushed the brakes it'd send you into your restraints and try to plant your face in the windshield. That would be pretty unnerving to many/most auto consumers, but for those looking for max performance, it would be "racecar life." The same with steering input/feel.
interesting take on this! very cool. are the stock pzeros a "wide" tire though? i figured they were just normal everyday tires.

I can't speak to your local firestone but I use them on my mustang with the lifetime alignment and never have had any issues. I don't think they'll let you transfer it to your new car though. It's tied into the year make model.
ah dang. yeah i think i paid like 100 bucks on new years one year when they had the sale, and i could've sworn they said its linked to the plate and not the car, but i can always go in and ask. thanks!

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
My 2018 GT premium does this all of the time. I have 16+K on the awful P-Zeros and switching to Michelin PS4s soon. In the meantime, Steeda says that if you should use the "comfort" steering setting, this will help reduce the tramlining which it does.

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2018 GT premium does this all of the time. I have 16+K on the awful P-Zeros and switching to Michelin PS4s soon. In the meantime, Steeda says that if you should use the "comfort" steering setting, this will help reduce the tramlining which it does.
interesting, i always use comfort and didn't notice any difference between them all for tramlining

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I noticed this recently on my car before I parked it for the winter. I have the factory Pzero Nero's with close to 20k miles on them and they are basically done. New all seasons going on in the Spring.

I won't miss them in the slightest :)

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
An alignment check can't hurt. If that checks out and all other suspension parts are working correctly and the tires are within ok specifications, then all should be good. I have learned to never assume. I also believe if something suddenly starts happening that was not happening before.......there is a reason for it. :)

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Yeah, some roads do that.

It's nothing to fret over.

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
i'd be fine with that except i never noticed this in my 2014 stang, and i don't notice it in my '22 f150 or my '07 tacoma. that's the only reason i worry, because i also never noticed this when i first got the stang.
Solid axle vehicles...

As far as a place to have it aligned? I found a local company that will let me stand over their shoulder and use my specs. I am a bit of a nerd when it comes to alignment, so I'd rather they just did as i ask, instead of what the machine tells them, and even then i have to convince them that the camber adjustment in the back is not the bolt but a pry bar.

as an experiment i went with zero toe all the way around, and ive liked it HOWEVER, because of the "push" of the car im toeing out, and will correct it on the next alignment. I have some other things to do with the suspension where i'll tear it all apart again and need a new alignment. Namely getting the bump steer set correctly at full travel.

My personal specs would be

-1.5 camber in the front
a total of .1 toe
caster factory

rear
-1.75-2 camber
.1 total rear toe
zero thrust angle

My car is a street car only and wont ever track it, so i just want it to feel planted, predictable, and be inclined to oversteer if any at all. FOR ME, i prefer the back to feel "loose" rather than the front to feel numb, and my numbers are adequate on the street to give the right feel for me.

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Solid axle vehicles...

As far as a place to have it aligned? I found a local company that will let me stand over their shoulder and use my specs. I am a bit of a nerd when it comes to alignment, so I'd rather they just did as i ask, instead of what the machine tells them, and even then i have to convince them that the camber adjustment in the back is not the bolt but a pry bar.

as an experiment i went with zero toe all the way around, and ive liked it HOWEVER, because of the "push" of the car im toeing out, and will correct it on the next alignment. I have some other things to do with the suspension where i'll tear it all apart again and need a new alignment. Namely getting the bump steer set correctly at full travel.

-1.5 camber in the front
a total of .1 toe
caster factory

rear
-1.75-2 camber
.1 total rear toe
zero thrust angle

My car is a street car only and wont ever track it, so i just want it to feel planted, predictable, and be inclined to oversteer if any at all. FOR ME, i prefer the back to feel "loose" rather than the front to feel numb, and my numbers are adequate on the street to give the right feel for me.
honest q, does IRS tramline more than solid rear axle? i never thought about it, but just today before reading this i realized that the 2021 is the only IRS car i've ever driven.

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
honest q, does IRS tramline more than solid rear axle? i never thought about it, but just today before reading this i realized that the 2021 is the only IRS car i've ever driven.
Each tire is moving independently so yes in a round about way.

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium

rear
-1.75-2 camber
.1 total rear toe
zero thrust angle

My car is a street car
You'd be shocked how much better the car hooks up with the rear camber @ -.5° to -.8° Doesn't affect street manners at all. Feels better, looks better IMO, and promotes for better tire wear. Rear adj. camber arms was the best $179.00 I ever spent. Just something to think about.

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
You'd be shocked how much better the car hooks up with the rear camber @ -.5° to -.8° Doesn't affect street manners at all. Feels better, looks better IMO, and promotes for better tire wear. Rear adj. camber arms was the best $179.00 I ever spent. Just something to think about.
I'm open to less

Which camber arms do you have?

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium

asc709

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP
Completely normal. My PP1 mag ride does this with the PS4’s. It really seems to depend on the type of road and the grooves or bumps. I’ve learned to keep at least one hand on the steering wheel at all times.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Completely normal. My PP1 mag ride does this with the PS4’s. It really seems to depend on the type of road and the grooves or bumps. I’ve learned to keep at least one hand on the steering wheel at all times.
There's a patch of road near my house that doesn't look all that bad but when I drive it in my mustang, it tries to bounce my head off the door window. Between that and avoiding potholes, I'm usually very VERY cautious about having ANY alcohol at all (even a drink at dinner) and driving my car because I know at some point I'm going to get stopped for erratic driving.
Sponsored