Sponsored

Is driving fun anymore?

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This is so general it might be considered OT...but it's frustrating that we're in a time when we have cars with such high performance levels, but almost no opportunity on the streets to really enjoy them. At least where I live (central Texas) all the roads I regularly drive on have become so congested and so policed, that it's rare for me to get a chance to get the pedal all the way to the floor, or take a curve at anything above the speed limit. Most of the time I'm stuck in traffic on 35 or one of Austin's many other gridlocked streets, crawling along no faster than an economy car. I guess I could go out of my way to get up early (or go out late at night) and drive way out of town, but I'm not that motivated.When I retire maybe I'll move somewhere with less traffic.

My theory is that this is a big part of the reason that performance cars are dying out--if you can't take advantage of their capabilities, what's the point? Do you feel like you have a chance to really enjoy your car on the street?
Sponsored

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
I totally agree. And while going to the track is great, it gets pretty expensive pretty quick. Heartland Park in Topeka is pretty reasonable when it comes to cost for the drag strip, I "think" entry fees are around $30 or so. I haven't been to the strip in long time. I did hit their road course once this summer. It was $160 for 80 minutes on the track. That cost is probably cheap compared to other tracks, but for a guy (or gal) just looking to open up the throttle, that's a little steep to do on a regular basis. Auto Cross is a blast, and fairly cheap, I think my last event $40. But with only 5 or 6 runs, and you end up spending the better part of the day standing around the track, you kind of have to be dedicated to it.

Full disclosure though, I plan to spend significantly more time at all three types tracks next year. This year just didn't work out like I had hoped with all of the family commitments/disasters.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Hell yes, I think it's a blast! I enjoy my car every time I drive it. While it may only occasionally see triple digits, it's still a blast getting it there or close in a hurry. On my 20 minute drive home, you'd better be doing 90 if you want to stay in the left lane. I can have a whole lot of fun just getting to 70 even though it only lasts for about five seconds. On and off ramps are also a blast at twice the recommended speed limit (which isn't necessarily the legal speed limit, only a recommended speed limit).

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
Between the traffic and road conditions there are certainly times where it isn't fun and Honda Civic would be just as useful.

Sponsored

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
This is so general it might be considered OT...but it's frustrating that we're in a time when we have cars with such high performance levels, but almost no opportunity on the streets to really enjoy them. At least where I live (central Texas) all the roads I regularly drive on have become so congested and so policed, that it's rare for me to get a chance to get the pedal all the way to the floor, or take a curve at anything above the speed limit. Most of the time I'm stuck in traffic on 35 or one of Austin's many other gridlocked streets, crawling along no faster than an economy car. I guess I could go out of my way to get up early (or go out late at night) and drive way out of town, but I'm not that motivated.When I retire maybe I'll move somewhere with less traffic.

My theory is that this is a big part of the reason that performance cars are dying out--if you can't take advantage of their capabilities, what's the point? Do you feel like you have a chance to really enjoy your car on the street?
I feel your pain. When you get the chance you have to go for it.
Capture2.png

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
As much as I hate CA traffic, we still have plenty of nice open country roads, windy and straight, to have fun on. I can even open it up on the highway on my way to work if I want

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
This was one of the reasons I got rid of my manual after owning manuals for 30 years. This is only my second auto car ever. But where I live the traffic sucks so bad that it is always congested I mean always . It starts are 5:30 in the morning and lasts till 7 at night. and the weekends are impossible. I one day literally drove 65 miles over three counties and never got over 35 mph ever on the entire trip. That didi it I traded for an auto. The start stop go 2 feet never hardly get out of 3rd gear got old. So I go out and get a Mustang gt with auto...woot.... and nope The other day I realized what you have. hell I cant use its power anyway I would have had the same results buying a econo civic. IM gonna have to start taking special trips just to find places to drive. Hell we have the blue ridge parkway here and with it only two lanes and winding good luck Its packed and people go 25 miles an hour so zero fun.

The world is just getting to over populated and the congestion is everywhere. guess that is why like you said everyone's buying suvs and autos. They have given up on speed and just go for comfort and ease. Manual sales have been down year over year and are down to almost only 2 % won't be long, won't be any at all. and electric doesnt even have a trans so won't be long till wont be no manuals anymore. Heck Our local Ford has nothing but trucks and suvs only 2 mustangs on lot. Everyone is dropping cars. I stopped at a rest area the other day on interstate and I was only car there of about 40 cars. nothing but suvs

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
Amen to Country roads and radar detectors :) I'm still having a great time driving... but then again, I don't drive to work.

Sponsored

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
This was one of the reasons I got rid of my manual after owning manuals for 30 years. [...] I stopped at a rest area the other day on interstate and I was only car there of about 40 cars. nothing but suvs
And yours was probably one of very few vehicles not painted in some shade of black, white, or gray.

WRT fun on the highways and by-ways, I'm retired and live in San Diego. Certain hours of certain days I can drive 25 minutes and be alone on some really good twisty roads. The remainder of times are enjoyable only to the extent that my mindfulness allows it.

I remember when the Los Angeles area consisted of numerous small towns and cities connected by two- and three-lane "highways". To go across the County was a time-consuming adventure, especially if you didn't know the special shortcuts. At some hours, the same trip today takes as much time but it's slow for different reasons. Have we made progress?

slowrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase

You need to join the Hill country drives I'm in Austin too let me know

MrBill2016GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I moved from LI NY 28 yrs ago to get away from many things, traffic was a big one. I live in NC and we chose to live a little further away from what is called a city here, yes I drive a little further to work.38 miles takes me 40-45 minutes most days but having these country roads in my back yard is why I bought the Mustang. Life is too short to live in heavily congested areas and drive boring cars. Time is waiting for no one and no one is getting out of here alive so make your choices accordingly!!

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I am like 5 minutes from I-95 here in northern Florida, smooth open highway signed at 70mph, very few cops ever.

I drive in off traffic hours because I am retired, to say people start driving at around 70mph and go up from there is an understatement.

Won't continue any further with this post in order not to incriminate myself, lol.

TC

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
T.....the reason that performance cars are dying out--if you can't take advantage of their capabilities, what's the point? Do you feel like you have a chance to really enjoy your car on the street?
If you think performance cars are dying out, you're missing...........everything.

Regardless of the type of car, you can't enjoy it on the street much. Even something as mundane as an Accord has serious power, grip and handling, that would blow away most 1960s-70s "muscle" cars.

This is a Golden Age of automotive performance. Enjoy it while it lasts.

And yes, to enjoy your car get your butt up early and go find the nice roads, faaar away from everyone else. It's good for your soul.
Sponsored