Sponsored

IRS and drag racing

apexclipper

Threads
Reaction score
Also the center diff case is aluminum in the 4 and 6-cylinder models.
Didn't know that...thanks for the information.

There's no doubt that the new IRS package is going to be lighter than a solid axle...aluminum center section, aluminum H arms, and no heavy steels axle housings spanning the entire width of the car.
Sponsored

Rob WH

Gettin' old
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
1987 LX coupe(and others), 14 Escape
Even if the IRS is lighter, it still has more pieces and soaks up more energy(power/torque) and Ford has blatantly told us about this suspension, noting the lack of squat, that it will be much stiffer and that generally doesn't mean better 0 - XXXmph acceleration.

I'm new here... I would rather not argue over things we're truly guessing about so far and with that, I hope it generates enough traction while lacking wheel hop to compete with SLA on the drag strip. I mean that too, because in 2015, I intend to purchase a 2016 model. :thumbsup:

OP
OP

apexclipper

Threads
Reaction score
Even if the IRS is lighter, it still has more pieces and soaks up more energy(power/torque) and Ford has blatantly told us about this suspension, noting the lack of squat, that it will be much stiffer and that generally doesn't mean better 0 - XXXmph acceleration.

I'm new here... I would rather not argue over things we're truly guessing about so far and with that, I hope it generates enough traction while lacking wheel hop to compete with SLA on the drag strip. I mean that too, because in 2015, I intend to purchase a 2016 model. :thumbsup:
'Vettes have been doing just fine in terms of 60 foot times, 0 - 30 MPH, 0 - 60 MPH, and ET for quite some time with an IRS. So have many other cars.

A lot of Mustang people focus on drag strip performance, and a solid rear axle will ultimately do better than an IRS at very high power levels. But a rear engine car will also do better than a front engine car, and the Mustang's a front engine car. I don't see the IRS making any quantifiable difference in terms of drag strip performance for the factory engines in their stock (or near stock) power levels.

Ford's intent here was to build a better all around performance car.

It's strongly rumored that Ford will offer a solid axle conversion kit through their Ford Racing parts program:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news...offer-drag-racers-a-live-axle-for-new-mustang

Rob WH

Gettin' old
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
'Vettes have been doing just fine in terms of 60 foot times, 0 - 30 MPH, 0 - 60 MPH, and ET for quite some time with an IRS. So have many other cars.

A lot of Mustang people focus on drag strip performance, and a solid rear axle will ultimately do better than an IRS at very high power levels. But a rear engine car will also do better than a front engine car, and the Mustang's a front engine car. I don't see the IRS making any quantifiable difference in terms of drag strip performance for the factory engines in their stock (or near stock) power levels.

Ford's intent here was to build a better all around performance car.

It's strongly rumored that Ford will offer a solid axle conversion kit through their Ford Racing parts program:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news...offer-drag-racers-a-live-axle-for-new-mustang
We're rather off course here, no pun intended. I have read plenty about the possibility of a bolt in SLA and would be great with that as an upgrade for drag racing(at a reasonable cost).

Suffice to say, IRS is great stuff, for the 2 days per yr it's needed. It's also expensive to build, expensive to repair and hurtful to the 1 thing Mustang is most famous for(besides it's impressive sales)... drag racing. Mustang, perhaps more than any car in history, has proven that SLA, LIVE AXLES, whatever one would call it, can be quite competitive on any track. In drag racing, it's untouchable. In road racing, it's not as good as IRS. That said, about 1 in 50,000 owners(if that) ever road race their Mustang while about 1 in 5,000 drag races at some point. Besides, look how close to Camaro and Challenger, the Mustang SLA has remained? It beats even the best rendition in Challenger, right? The best reason I can think of to use IRS in Mustang(aside from Ford making a profit over time) is because they finally know what will hold up to a great degree. I definitely like IRS and have had it on more than 1 vehicle myself(including my current FWD DD), but it's not the end all that many seem to think it is.

Finally, I will believe the IRS is lighter after someone pulls the system apart and weighs every component. It uses SO MANY more parts, it's hard to believe it can be lighter. The drawing of the components is telling... compare that to the ultra-simple SLA and ask yourself which is most likely lighter. That's not even considering the sub-frame brackets which are now much larger than before. Bottom line: Sacrifices must be made for everything automotive.

c3po

CNCforlife
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion- company car
Maybe this isn't the proper thread to be beating on this subject, but one has to remember that the IRS will make a NOTICEABLE difference in what Dave Pericak refers to as "primary and secondary" rides. The IRS will be much better at controlling the bigger bumps initially, and also much better at controlling the body movements right after. It sure sounds like this is something that will be noticeable by everyone who drives one that's driven a '14 and older.

Sponsored

OP
OP

apexclipper

Threads
Reaction score
We're rather off course here, no pun intended. I have read plenty about the possibility of a bolt in SLA and would be great with that as an upgrade for drag racing(at a reasonable cost).

Suffice to say, IRS is great stuff, for the 2 days per yr it's needed. It's also expensive to build, expensive to repair and hurtful to the 1 thing Mustang is most famous for(besides it's impressive sales)... drag racing. Mustang, perhaps more than any car in history, has proven that SLA, LIVE AXLES, whatever one would call it, can be quite competitive on any track. In drag racing, it's untouchable. In road racing, it's not as good as IRS. That said, about 1 in 50,000 owners(if that) ever road race their Mustang while about 1 in 5,000 drag races at some point. Besides, look how close to Camaro and Challenger, the Mustang SLA has remained? It beats even the best rendition in Challenger, right? The best reason I can think of to use IRS in Mustang(aside from Ford making a profit over time) is because they finally know what will hold up to a great degree. I definitely like IRS and have had it on more than 1 vehicle myself(including my current FWD DD), but it's not the end all that many seem to think it is.

Finally, I will believe the IRS is lighter after someone pulls the system apart and weighs every component. It uses SO MANY more parts, it's hard to believe it can be lighter. The drawing of the components is telling... compare that to the ultra-simple SLA and ask yourself which is most likely lighter. That's not even considering the sub-frame brackets which are now much larger than before. Bottom line: Sacrifices must be made for everything automotive.
I've defended the abilities of solid axle cars before. I owned and drove a '99 LS1 1LE Camaro for 6 years.

The primary issue is with a solid axle is ride quality, although they're also sub-standard in maintaining road contact on irregular surfaces.

The Challenger and Camaro were initially intended to be built on smaller and lighter unique platforms. Financial realities of the time dictated otherwise, and "compromises" you spoke of were made by using existing and larger platforms.

I think you'll see that the '15 GT's drag strip performance is superior to today's solid axle, and pretty much spot on with the recent Boos 302. That includes the 0 - 30 MPH time (shown in various magazines).

Fenderaddict2

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fastmyles.com
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang Boss 302
Official 2.3L Ecoboost Thread

As 1 of the 50,000 I can't wait to see what Ford's replacement for my Boss 302 will be.

I stopped drag racing the first time I drove Mosport...kinda like how I never found time to cross country ski once I went alpine.

Rob WH

Gettin' old
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
Maybe this isn't the proper thread to be beating on this subject, but one has to remember that the IRS will make a NOTICEABLE difference in what Dave Pericak refers to as "primary and secondary" rides. The IRS will be much better at controlling the bigger bumps initially, and also much better at controlling the body movements right after. It sure sounds like this is something that will be noticeable by everyone who drives one that's driven a '14 and older.
I, for one, certainly intend to drive one sooner rather than later, so I can tell myself there are great differences for the better. That said, having steered many Corvettes down the streets, I haven't yet found the smooth ride version... just sayin'...

What is notable to most, is simply the side to side "jerky" feeling you can notice around corners w/o IRS. You'll feel it more w/ IRS, but feel more sure footed(and it is).
I've defended the abilities of solid axle cars before. I owned and drove a '99 LS1 1LE Camaro for 6 years.

The primary issue is with a solid axle is ride quality, although they're also sub-standard in maintaining road contact on irregular surfaces.

The Challenger and Camaro were initially intended to be built on smaller and lighter unique platforms. Financial realities of the time dictated otherwise, and "compromises" you spoke of were made by using existing and larger platforms.

I think you'll see that the '15 GT's drag strip performance is superior to today's solid axle, and pretty much spot on with the recent Boos 302. That includes the 0 - 30 MPH time (shown in various magazines).
The problem with the Camaro rear, though, is that it wouldn't hold up to even straight line abuses, no matter how modified. I still have friends who claim 10's with the stock 10 bolt, but realistically, that's just about as common as lunar landings. That said, the set up isn't conducive to anything but road racing, insofar as strength. Mustang hasn't suffered the same problems since 1979 and better still, 1986, when it got it's final update in terms of notable changes.

If ride quality is the real issue, address the shocks, not the axles. IRS, except in extreme conditions most drivers do not deal with daily, isn't going to improve ride quality simply because it's IRS... Think otherwise.

Find the IRS car that truly rides more comfortably than the Lincoln Town Car, or the Ford and Mercury versions, without either A: having seriously more weight or B: seriously softer shocks whether it's gas or air, etc(or both). Now compare that to any Corvette offered since... idonno... 1963?? The Corvette has had IRS since at least the 1960's. It's never been a great ride, but it does a wonderful job on the road courses.

Sugar coat it and ignore the facts all you want. Those compromises I spoke of simply are and that's what I was pointing out. That said, the Challenger may be large, so is the Camaro... still, the Mustang weight was closer to those than Corvette until the current Corvette. The greater point is, even with IRS those 2 other pony cars have proven to NOT handle better than Mustang overall. The only Camaros that truly handle better than the Mustang are the Z/28 and 1LE and while the 1LE isn't extremely expensive, it just shows that expensive parts happen... they are. The fact is, Mustang outperforms the others in many aspects while still using that "caveman" SLA.

Maybe I misunderstood.. but you think I'll find the 15 GT performs better than the current SLA Mustang in drag racing... on par with the current SLA Mustang?? That's what you said, considering the BOSS 302 is the exact design as the current Mustang, SLA.

The only reason the 15 GT will be on par with the last BOSS 302 is that nobody significantly modified the power and torque yet... but they will, w/o a doubt, and soon. Once the modifications earnestly get going, IRS will prove, as it has 100% of the time it's existed, inferior to SLA in drag racing. It's not only about a stock vehicle. Sure, for Ford it is, because they reap the rewards here. If your goal is to spend more, IRS is the perfect solution. It not only costs more to build and maintain in general, but also breaks more often. WIN WIN for the manufacturer, but the customer only wins... only wins if he or she is road racing or regularly driving on worse than normal roads.

Again, I didn't want to debate this because I personally like IRS just fine. However, being fine isn't reserved for the more expensive set up alone, as it turns out.

As 1 of the 50,000 I can't wait to see what Ford's replacement for my Boss 302 will be.

I stopped drag racing the first time I drove Mosport...kinda like how I never found time to cross country ski once I went alpine.
That's all good and I have no qualms there... still, you're one of the 1 in 50,000 and most are 1 of the 5,000 and those used to be deemed important, as they're the ones who allowed Mustang to still be in existence and the 1 of 50,000 played essentially no legitimate role in the same. Ultimately, IRS is fine and I like it, but I also think it's so utterly misunderstood by most, they tend to think it's going to somehow make the entire vehicle transform into a monorail for the road. It doesn't and never will. :thumbsup:

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP

Sorry I'm calling the Bull Shit flag on the 1 in 50,000 and 1 in 5,000 numbers because it ignores a few simple things. First, you ignore autocross which is a sport defined by the handling capabilities of a car in which Mustangs are an extremely popular choice (representing something like 25% of the cars at Nationals last year). Second you ignore the people who enjoy twisting back roads as their hobby. Some of us do it all.

While on the subject, everyone stop for a moment. Off the top of your head name the first sanctioned race series the Mustang was in that you can think of. Mine is Trans Am, specifically the Boss 302. But if we go to Wikipedia we'll find that in 1965 Shelby America produced the first GT350R for B-Production SCCA Racing where it won for 3 straight years. Mustang's road racing history is as long as the car has been around and it was NEVER that popular of a drag car until the late 60's because the original 289 wasn't a show stopper for power and torque. I would even dare say that the Mustang's road racing history is LONGER and BETTER than it's drag history because Ford has never been fond of cramming stupid engines in these cars to make big power. The whole "It's a live axle and can't handle so it must be a drag car" has always been a load of foooey. No one wanted the originals because they made great power, they wanted the originals because they looked badass and had enough refinement to a decent car.

Moral of the story, get over the "Mustang is a drag racer's car" nonsense and realize the past you've been missing. On that note, the IRS itself is going to be fine. Ford isn't stupid and they realize that there are still people interested in mashing the loud pedal in straight lines. The IRS will be built with this in mind. Most people have this convoluted interpretation of a proper IRS because of the Cobra IRS units which were designed to fit in the spot for a live axle and originally for ride comfort. What Ford put under those Cobras was NOT what was designed by the guy who built the original specs for the IRS and compromises were made. It wasn't until 03-04 that the IRS really beefed itself up and a lot of the issues were fixed. They weren't perfect though. Ford has had a full decade to improve and tweak the IRS going under this car. They've seen what BMW has done with a similar set up and I'm willing to bet it will be pretty damn robust for all but the serious drag racers. All the bitching I've seen about the switch to an IRS has come from people who truly don't understand what is going on at the rear of the car and why IRS units typically fail. Guess what, those of us who have followed the Mustang's TRUE history and past (those of us into corner carving) have dealt with the drag racing whiners for 50 years now and we've made that Live Axle work. It is YOUR turn to figure shit out and make it work for your needs.

What is notable to most, is simply the side to side "jerky" feeling you can notice around corners w/o IRS. You'll feel it more w/ IRS, but feel more sure footed(and it is).
Welcome to the S197's Pan Hard Bar configuration and sloppy bushings. You can remove 90% of that "rear axle hop" over mid corner bumps by eliminating the lateral movement of the 300-350lb pendulum under the car. Watts linkages are getting cheaper and cheaper and are vastly superior to the PHB, even one with rod ends.

If ride quality is the real issue, address the shocks, not the axles. IRS, except in extreme conditions most drivers do not deal with daily, isn't going to improve ride quality simply because it's IRS... Think otherwise.

Find the IRS car that truly rides more comfortably than the Lincoln Town Car, or the Ford and Mercury versions, without either A: having seriously more weight or B: seriously softer shocks whether it's gas or air, etc(or both). Now compare that to any Corvette offered since... idonno... 1963?? The Corvette has had IRS since at least the 1960's. It's never been a great ride, but it does a wonderful job on the road courses.
Irony at it's best. Find a car to compare to the Panther platform that isn't as heavy (or heavier) or has softer shocks... that's because there isn't one. The Panther Platform is all of that and more in terms of "stupid Caddy ride" nonsense BECAUSE of those things. It is the most under damped, under sprung and ridiculously heavy platform I've ever seen for a family sedan.

Having said that, My buddy's E34 535i rode better than my family's Grand Marquis ever did. Noticeably less head toss and far more supple ride.

Sugar coat it and ignore the facts all you want. Those compromises I spoke of simply are and that's what I was pointing out. That said, the Challenger may be large, so is the Camaro... still, the Mustang weight was closer to those than Corvette until the current Corvette. The greater point is, even with IRS those 2 other pony cars have proven to NOT handle better than Mustang overall. The only Camaros that truly handle better than the Mustang are the Z/28 and 1LE and while the 1LE isn't extremely expensive, it just shows that expensive parts happen... they are. The fact is, Mustang outperforms the others in many aspects while still using that "caveman" SLA.
Welcome to GM and Chrysler pony cars. They are based on family sedan chassis (Zeta Platform which underpinned a number of Holden sedans, and the LC Platform which is a shortened LX platform that underpins the Chrysler 300 Sedan, the Dodge Magnum, and the Dodge Charger) and their IRS geometry reflects that. It wasn't until GM pulled their collective head out of their ass and removed the massive amount of bind in the Zeta IRS that the new Camaros really began to shine where they needed to shine. The ZL1 started the new IRS tweaks, which then went to the 1LE and now the Z/28.

Maybe I misunderstood.. but you think I'll find the 15 GT performs better than the current SLA Mustang in drag racing... on par with the current SLA Mustang?? That's what you said, considering the BOSS 302 is the exact design as the current Mustang, SLA.

The only reason the 15 GT will be on par with the last BOSS 302 is that nobody significantly modified the power and torque yet... but they will, w/o a doubt, and soon. Once the modifications earnestly get going, IRS will prove, as it has 100% of the time it's existed, inferior to SLA in drag racing. It's not only about a stock vehicle. Sure, for Ford it is, because they reap the rewards here. If your goal is to spend more, IRS is the perfect solution. It not only costs more to build and maintain in general, but also breaks more often. WIN WIN for the manufacturer, but the customer only wins... only wins if he or she is road racing or regularly driving on worse than normal roads.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if the 2015 Mustang GT launched harder than the SLA Boss 302 did. For one, the Boss 302 is a car aimed at track day enthusiasts. People who buy one to drag race piss me off. It's like pissing on the heritage of the original car. It gave up a lot of low end torque for more overall HP and a lot of revs. Not exactly ideal for drag racing. But lets talk about the geometry improvements given to us by the IRS. How about the DOUBLE rear %Anti-Squat that Ford keeps talking about. The 2009 Mustang GT has about %35 Anti-Squat in factory form. The 2014's have a little bit more. If the tires will take the added %AS (which they couldn't on the live axle) then this car should launch flatter and hit the tires just a little harder. Hard enough to launch better. What is the adage about 60ft times? (You tell me, you drag race, I don't). Something about a tenth in 60ft is worth double in ET?

That's all good and I have no qualms there... still, you're one of the 1 in 50,000 and most are 1 of the 5,000 and those used to be deemed important, as they're the ones who allowed Mustang to still be in existence and the 1 of 50,000 played essentially no legitimate role in the same. Ultimately, IRS is fine and I like it, but I also think it's so utterly misunderstood by most, they tend to think it's going to somehow make the entire vehicle transform into a monorail for the road. It doesn't and never will. :thumbsup:
All I really hear is "I'm a drag racer and I hate IRS because I don't want to put forth the effort to make it work for what I want to do". I'd be willing to bet that of your drag racers, 95% of them will never exceed the capabilities of the IRS for drag racing and your remaining 5% are about 1 in 50,000 Mustang owners.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
Posts have been moved over (from the 2.3L section) and given a more relevant thread title.

Sponsored

c3po

CNCforlife
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion- company car
Guys, I've seen a handful of burnouts with the 2015 now (notably, Pericak in his Line Lock video) and there is absolutely NO wheel hop whatsoever. I've driven a few 5.0 12's and 13's and that was not the case. They even should a slow-mo of the burnout he was doing and there wasn't even a hint of hop. Wouldn't that alone make a couple of tenths difference in quarter mile runs over the SRA?

Rob WH

Gettin' old
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
Sorry I'm calling the Bull Shit flag on the 1 in 50,000 and 1 in 5,000 numbers because it ignores a few simple things. First, you ignore autocross which is a sport defined by the handling capabilities of a car in which Mustangs are an extremely popular choice (representing something like 25% of the cars at Nationals last year). Second you ignore the people who enjoy twisting back roads as their hobby. Some of us do it all.
Those figures were representative... It isn't like I asked every Mustang owner. The point was, about 10 times more people drag race their Mustang than road race.

Realistically, it's likely closer to 1,000 times more. I was being gentle.

So consider about 5 million Mustangs made since the Fox body began. How many do you think are ever taken to any track and raced, that isn't a drag strip... The list may seem long on a quick look, but it's VERY short overall.

Now, which autocross track doesn't fit into the description of road course? Sure, it's just cones on a parking lot, generally having no hills, but it has sharp turns and isn't generally run on dirt. I shouldn't have to specify every little aspect in order to make a point... everyone ELSE got it... :shrug: With that, I must admit, I've never heard of any "Nationals" for autocross racing. 25% of that might equal 1 night at a well known drag strip during the racing season.

While on the subject, everyone stop for a moment. Off the top of your head name the first sanctioned race series the Mustang was in that you can think of. Mine is Trans Am, specifically the Boss 302. But if we go to Wikipedia we'll find that in 1965 Shelby America produced the first GT350R for B-Production SCCA Racing where it won for 3 straight years. Mustang's road racing history is as long as the car has been around and it was NEVER that popular of a drag car until the late 60's because the original 289 wasn't a show stopper for power and torque. I would even dare say that the Mustang's road racing history is LONGER and BETTER than it's drag history because Ford has never been fond of cramming stupid engines in these cars to make big power. The whole "It's a live axle and can't handle so it must be a drag car" has always been a load of foooey. No one wanted the originals because they made great power, they wanted the originals because they looked badass and had enough refinement to a decent car.
The 1st sanctioned race in America for Mustang, was as the pace car for the Indy 500... The 1st actual racing for Mustang in America, was DRAG RACING in 1964(using the 427 Cammer). Look it up. The 1st to my mind, however, was Trans Am. That stuff really doesn't matter. What matters is the reality that more Mustangs have been drag raced than any other type of racing... but a massive margin. You could put together every other form and combined, they are but a drop in the bucket to drag racing.

Moral of the story, get over the "Mustang is a drag racer's car" nonsense and realize the past you've been missing. On that note, the IRS itself is going to be fine. Ford isn't stupid and they realize that there are still people interested in mashing the loud pedal in straight lines. The IRS will be built with this in mind. Most people have this convoluted interpretation of a proper IRS because of the Cobra IRS units which were designed to fit in the spot for a live axle and originally for ride comfort. What Ford put under those Cobras was NOT what was designed by the guy who built the original specs for the IRS and compromises were made. It wasn't until 03-04 that the IRS really beefed itself up and a lot of the issues were fixed. They weren't perfect though. Ford has had a full decade to improve and tweak the IRS going under this car. They've seen what BMW has done with a similar set up and I'm willing to bet it will be pretty damn robust for all but the serious drag racers. All the bitching I've seen about the switch to an IRS has come from people who truly don't understand what is going on at the rear of the car and why IRS units typically fail. Guess what, those of us who have followed the Mustang's TRUE history and past (those of us into corner carving) have dealt with the drag racing whiners for 50 years now and we've made that Live Axle work. It is YOUR turn to figure shit out and make it work for your needs.
You've missed the present... I've said all the while, I'm fine with IRS. I've had it in my last 2 vehicles and I can tell you w/o question(because I tested it many times), if I took someone for a ride and they didn't already know it had IRS, they were NOT going to tell the difference in regular driving.They're just not. I used a crude test method... my IRS Explorer vs my brothers, w/o. Then I asked questions about the ride... 100% of the time I got the same kind of response... "Felt the same to me."

The Mustang has had more success in drag racing than any other arena, by far. More importantly, thousands of people constantly rag on the Mustang for NOT having IRS and when it did have IRS, it was often replaced. Not only that, Ford went back to SLA and made that SO GOOD that it actually handled better(and still does) than a standard Camaro SS, not to mention the Dodge competition. The point is... It WORKS!

Ultimately, you simply have a bad attitude and want to vent. You can tell me all about following the Mustang all you want. I've owned 7 of them and today, I have a 1966, 1987, 1991 ... I'm not new. After all, unlike you, I actually knew which racing was 1st... It wasn't even in America. It was in France(road rally). I also, along with 2 others, had a shop where we worked on Mustangs and our primary customers were drag racing. We managed to build some somewhat serious cars.

All I really hear is "I'm a drag racer and I hate IRS because I don't want to put forth the effort to make it work for what I want to do". I'd be willing to bet that of your drag racers, 95% of them will never exceed the capabilities of the IRS for drag racing and your remaining 5% are about 1 in 50,000 Mustang owners.
The problem you REALLY have then, is the thoughts in your mind, because I've never said that and SEVERAL times now, I've said the almost the exact opposite. After all, you're answering me, but you'll NEVER find where I said that because it simply didn't happen here... ever.

If I buy a Mustang for drag racing, it won't be a 2015 or newer... yet. I happen to have a Fox coupe w/ a 408 in it... I don't need a new drag racing Mustang. That said, I know guys who will be prepared to replace the IRS the day the buy the new Mustang because, within a very short time, they'll have the power to run 9's(maybe quicker) and the IRS won't live to see that work out.

Not for nuthin'.... you see very angry. :p

Guys, I've seen a handful of burnouts with the 2015 now (notably, Pericak in his Line Lock video) and there is absolutely NO wheel hop whatsoever. I've driven a few 5.0 12's and 13's and that was not the case. They even should a slow-mo of the burnout he was doing and there wasn't even a hint of hop. Wouldn't that alone make a couple of tenths difference in quarter mile runs over the SRA?
Doing a burnout with a LINE LOCK is nothing like launching at the drag strip... the burnout causes the weakest link to become the tires and they give and when launching, you want the weakest link to be the concrete.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
Now, which autocross track doesn't fit into the description of road course? Sure, it's just cones on a parking lot, generally having no hills, but it has sharp turns and isn't generally run on dirt. I shouldn't have to specify every little aspect in order to make a point... everyone ELSE got it... :shrug: With that, I must admit, I've never heard of any "Nationals" for autocross racing. 25% of that might equal 1 night at a well known drag strip during the racing season.
SCCA's TireRack National Championship in Lincoln Nebraska is the largest motorsport event in the world. The average is around 1200 competing drivers over 4 days and some 800 cars. Winning at Nationals is a gateway to full fledged road course racing and can lead to some really strong ties to sponsors. Most don't do it for the money but for the bragging rights, but those that win get more than just the trophy and a jacket though. Contingency money, tires, oil, what have you. It isn't just a bunch of freaks running around cones in a parking lot.

The 1st sanctioned race in America for Mustang, was as the pace car for the Indy 500... The 1st actual racing for Mustang in America, was DRAG RACING in 1964(using the 427 Cammer). Look it up. The 1st to my mind, however, was Trans Am. That stuff really doesn't matter. What matters is the reality that more Mustangs have been drag raced than any other type of racing... but a massive margin. You could put together every other form and combined, they are but a drop in the bucket to drag racing.
I think people have lost site of the heritage that is Mustang. It's a great all around car but it gained fame on a road course in the 60's, not at the drag strip. I never hear about the "great exploits" of drag racing teams and it isn't because I'm focused solely on corner carving, it's because the folks who were there at the time heard about Trans Am and it's success there. That was part of Ford's marketing.

How people have gone from there with their own car is irrelevant.

You've missed the present... I've said all the while, I'm fine with IRS. I've had it in my last 2 vehicles and I can tell you w/o question(because I tested it many times), if I took someone for a ride and they didn't already know it had IRS, they were NOT going to tell the difference in regular driving.They're just not. I used a crude test method... my IRS Explorer vs my brothers, w/o. Then I asked questions about the ride... 100% of the time I got the same kind of response... "Felt the same to me."
I haven't missed it at all. The tone of your posts has been condescending towards having an IRS since you've joined this forum even if what you are actually saying is otherwise. You'd make the case that Ford should go back to a live axle because it "felt the same" as an IRS equipped car and because "most Mustang owners drag race".

The Mustang has had more success in drag racing than any other arena, by far. More importantly, thousands of people constantly rag on the Mustang for NOT having IRS and when it did have IRS, it was often replaced. Not only that, Ford went back to SLA and made that SO GOOD that it actually handled better(and still does) than a standard Camaro SS, not to mention the Dodge competition. The point is... It WORKS!
Really this is a product of the Fox Mustang being a light chassis with a shitty suspension, even for it's time. Follow that up with the basically unchanged underpinnings of the SN95 and that trend continues. Never mind that drag racing is cheap and there are drag strips everywhere where track days require road courses and autocross requires some form of active SCCA chapter. I struggle to find autocross events in South Dakota because the SCCA region is basically nonexistent and the NASA events are extremely small. I'm sure I could find 4 or more drag strips.

Ultimately, you simply have a bad attitude and want to vent. You can tell me all about following the Mustang all you want. I've owned 7 of them and today, I have a 1966, 1987, 1991 ... I'm not new. After all, unlike you, I actually knew which racing was 1st... It wasn't even in America. It was in France(road rally). I also, along with 2 others, had a shop where we worked on Mustangs and our primary customers were drag racing. We managed to build some somewhat serious cars.

The problem you REALLY have then, is the thoughts in your mind, because I've never said that and SEVERAL times now, I've said the almost the exact opposite. After all, you're answering me, but you'll NEVER find where I said that because it simply didn't happen here... ever.
I don't have a bad attitude at all. I'm just pointing out that your tone of your post and what you are typing are not in agreement. You'll have to forgive me if I find it extremely shady and don't believe you when you say an IRS is fine. The tone of your posts indicates to me that you are disappointed by having an IRS under the new Mustang because it isn't "ideal" for drag racing. That's fine if you are, but don't hide it, be proud of it. I respect an outward disagreement more than one that is concealed.

As for who's dick is bigger about owning Mustangs. Congrats, yours is. This is my second Mustang, third in the family. I've spent the better part of 4 years analyzing the suspension under the S197 chassis from the generic to fine detailed. I've also spent time under the Fox platform too and a considerable amount of research on it's shortcomings (that list is huge if you didn't already know that). I've also spent time "racing" my Mustang, first locally and then finally Nationally last year. I'm on year 4 of autocrossing my car. Do I care that your dick is bigger? Not one fuck given. I don't conceal what I'm really saying behind posts on a forum.

If there is one thing though that has taught me about "experience" is that sometimes the "most experienced" are the least qualified to actually talk on the subject because they are so far into their respective subject matter that they are unable to step out of it and see what is ACTUALLY going on.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
While I love a good debate on the finer points of IRS and live axle, I do think this topic boils down to 3 things -

1) if you have $$, time, and desire, you can tune a suspension to fit your use case
2) the current car has been optimized with IRS and a live axle retrofit is going to take some liquid dollars to do
3) Ford's market research and product planning have taken us into a new era as far as the appeal of this car for the "standard" consumer, who would seem less likely to squeeze out every last ounce of high performance capability

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
A properly designed IRS will be better than a solid rear in pretty much every way, except for WOT straight line runs from a dig on smooth ground. It will give a much more refined, smooth, responsive feel around corners, pot holes, train tracks, uneven surfaces, etc. Yes and IRS is inherently more complex and can be heavier, but a well designed one with a solid material selection can come close to the weight, if not match that of a solid rear setup.

Rob,

I would seriously like to know where you're getting these 1 in 50,000 people road race, 1 in 5000 drag race numbers. Then you went from saying it's 10 times more people to 1,000 times more. Were talking a difference of 2 orders of magnitude here. It really sounds like you are just making numbers up to prove your argument, and until I see anything supporting your statements I will believe you made those numbers up.

Do more people drag race? probably, it is incredibly cheap to do compared to road racing, and lets face it, a lot of people don't have the disposable income to do much road racing. But lets not pretend that because people can more readily afford the $20 admission onto a drag strip that they don't care about handling. That is a very short sighted and dangerous assumption.

Sure some people out there don't care about handling and only about straight line performance. Nothing wrong with that. However, don't think for a minute that Ford will pan to the few who would rather have a solid rear for drag racing than the millions who want a refined ride for the street. Ford has done amazingly well with the solid rear thus far. It is the accountants and not the engineers that has kept the IRS out of the mustang. All of the IRS applications in the mustang up to this point were compromised designs as well since the chassis was not designed to work with an IRS.

No one can say at this point how strong or weak the IRS will be, or how well it will work at the drag strip. Obviously Ford has taken drag racing into consideration since they included line lock as a feature. Plus they have their cobra jet mustangs they design and build. They know people will use it for drag racing and designed the IRS to include that. I am sure the IRS will be strong enough to hold up to a good amount of abuse. Hell, my dad has a 500+rwhp cobra that still has the stock IRS, and it has seen some serious abuse.

Bottom line is Ford is a business out to make money like everyone else. The engineers would love to build a car strictly for the enthusiasts who race the cars, but that isn't what makes money. Every performance aspect of the car will be compromised in some way as to make the car appealing to the non-enthusiast and adhere to the ever tightening federal standards.
Sponsored