Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.spdbydesign.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Vert
It's good to know the aftermarket is embracing engine development of the 5.0 coyote.

Who makes the cam cores for Ford?
That I don't know.
Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Possibly interested. At what point are the heads a bottle neck/limiting factor?
Or is it an issue of unknown amount of insurance needed on a $$ built motor?

What is 'necessary' if the motor is built 8:1 and we have 35+psig boost?
Just need springs to hold valves shut at that boost yea?
Maybe some other things must be done or fail like sweet valves..
Allow overlap/blow by for valve cooling cheaper valves to survive?
I guess, Im asking: Are the heads the most cost effective way to power?
How high can the boost go on stock valve springs?
If you have to change the springs to support higher boost, what else is 100% required to support a reasonable life span vs what is just nice?
What is the minimum that can be done to support the boost to make 1000+++WHP?
Sorry, probably not what you are asking.

OP
OP

spdbydesign

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.spdbydesign.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Vert
On our car, we've had some concerns of valve float, based on dyno testing we have done at the 1000whp mark.

Is it for certain valve float? I'm not 100% sure. But I'm going to be real curious to see how the graphs look once we swap in built heads with better hardware.

There's lots of testing to be done at the vendor/manufacturer level, to see exactly how far we can push this platform.

I'd love to be a wealth of knowledge, but right now, I haven't pushed a 15+ motor past the stock motor...so there's a learning curve there for us.

With that said, once we crack this motor open and build one.....cranking up the boost.....we're going to find all the weak links real fast, lol.

The good news is it just gives us an excuse to build it stronger and push it harder.

I'd personally love to see 1250-1300whp and mid 8's in the 1/4 out of our car this spring, my personal goal.

That's probably as far as I'll go, as I do plan to daily it.

BadGTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Auto, 1400HP GTR
OP
OP

spdbydesign

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.spdbydesign.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Vert

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
When you start sending out quotes on the kit and tune, Please also consider a quote on the 'SBD turn key 1200++ daily driver'. 1250WHP is a deliverable (10 pulls on dyno) with ability to turn up (pay to play customer pays as it breaks) at road course or strip.

Springs, pistons, rings, block, ?, ?, ?, SBD TT w exhaust, tune, driveline, cage, six point w Hans, fire suppression, + whatever you determine is REALLY needed to get there consistently and reliably. Dont care how you get us there. Will sign confidentiality and NDA or otherwise not tell anyone what it takes.

So, you leverage your engineering time and volume purchasing power and QC skills. We provide cash and donor cars. Really want to (graciously) romp some $$$ cars at track days with lowly $25k used Stang and $??k SBD turn key offering.

OP
OP

spdbydesign

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.spdbydesign.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Vert
When you start sending out quotes on the kit and tune, Please also consider a quote on the 'SBD turn key 1200++ daily driver'. 1250WHP is a deliverable (10 pulls on dyno) with ability to turn up (pay to play customer pays as it breaks) at road course or strip.

Springs, pistons, rings, block, ?, ?, ?, SBD TT w exhaust, tune, driveline, cage, six point w Hans, fire suppression, + whatever you determine is REALLY needed to get there consistently and reliably. Dont care how you get us there. Will sign confidentiality and NDA or otherwise not tell anyone what it takes.

So, you leverage your engineering time and volume purchasing power and QC skills. We provide cash and donor cars. Really want to (graciously) romp some $$$ cars at track days with lowly $25k used Stang and $??k SBD turn key offering.
Tall order, lol.

We'll see what happens this year.

I can tell you to build ANY platform to 1200+ whp is going to be expensive.

Yes, the Mustang will definitely be cheaper than most, but you're looking at a solid $15K in just a sleeved & assembled long block with aftermarket cams, using the best components money can buy from the top engine builders.

Then you've got factor turbo kit, built transmission, fuel system, IRS/Suspension, Wheels/Tires, etc.

No question this car is CHEAP to build compared to almost any other platform to this power level, but it's still pricey to build a "reliable" 4 digit car. (And I use "reliable" loosely.)

We'll have $85-100K ($50-65k Mods + $35K Car) in ours when it's said & done I feel confident.

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
Tall order, lol.

Yes, the Mustang will definitely be cheaper than most, but you're looking at a solid $15K in just a sleeved & assembled long block with aftermarket cams, using the best components money can buy from the top engine builders.

Then you've got factor turbo kit, built transmission, fuel system, IRS/Suspension, Wheels/Tires, etc.

No question this car is CHEAP to build compared to almost any other platform to this power level, but it's still pricey to build a "reliable" 4 digit car. (And I use "reliable" loosely.)

We'll have $85-100K ($50-65k Mods + $35K Car) in ours when it's said & done I feel confident.
based upon the builds of a 14 and 15 twin turbo car i know of, this $100k number is completely accurate. the difference in price between 700whp and a reliable, daily driveable, easy to use 1000whp mustang is quite a bit.

OP
OP

spdbydesign

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.spdbydesign.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Vert
based upon the builds of a 14 and 15 twin turbo car i know of, this $100k number is completely accurate. the difference in price between 700whp and a reliable, daily driveable, easy to use 1000whp mustang is quite a bit.
No question. You can have a solid 9 sec 1/4 car on the factory motor with out bolt-on TT kit.

To run 8's reliably is a costly endeavor. To run 7's, well....prepare to tap that 401K and have a trailer queen. :headbang:

I'm good with 8's, lol. My kid has to eat, haha.

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
No question. You can have a solid 9 sec 1/4 car on the factory motor with out bolt-on TT kit.

To run 8's reliably is a costly endeavor. To run 7's, well....prepare to tap that 401K and have a trailer queen. :headbang:

I'm good with 8's, lol. My kid has to eat, haha.
exactly. one of the members here is looking for 1500whp out of his 2014 and have it still be semi-daily driveable. right now he makes 1300whp and can (and does!) drive it on the street every day.

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Tall order, lol.

I have to ask how you guys get those figures? Everything i have priced out points to it costing mid 40s using high end stuff. The hell are you guys using billet 2500hp cranks? Are these figures factoring in all safety gear, suit, helmet cage, chute etc? For a street car to have that that wont run at the track wont need a lot of that either for some that dont have 1/4 plans. The only thing i dont have factored in is the cage. I own the rest. This is for roughly 1300whp. Are you both throwing in install costs or something? Maybe its because i do my own installs except motor assembly. Because i cant get to 100k including the car. Ive got 32k for the car at the very highest i can see is 45k. Ive built multiple 8 second cars and its never put me into 100k including the car for 1500 crank. Not even my mkiv supra cost that much. That was paying 40k for a 2 year old (at the time) with 2000 miles on it and roughly 54ish in mods. Granted my 14 gt500 would have cost me into 100s. Which is partly why i sold it. I cant see where else that money is going for you guys. Unless youre going for the most expensive parts even if its overkill for your build with no plans of 2000+ hp. Can someone enlighten me here?

OP
OP

spdbydesign

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.spdbydesign.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Vert
I have to ask how you guys get those figures? Everything i have priced out points to it costing mid 40s using high end stuff. The hell are you guys using billet 2500hp cranks? Are these figures factoring in all safety gear, suit, helmet cage, chute etc? For a street car to have that that wont run at the track wont need a lot of that either for some that dont have 1/4 plans. The only thing i dont have factored in is the cage. I own the rest. This is for roughly 1300whp. Are you both throwing in install costs or something? Maybe its because i do my own installs except motor assembly. Because i cant get to 100k including the car. Ive got 32k for the car at the very highest i can see is 45k. Ive built multiple 8 second cars and its never put me into 100k including the car for 1500 crank. Not even my mkiv supra cost that much. That was paying 40k for a 2 year old (at the time) with 2000 miles on it and roughly 54ish in mods. Granted my 14 gt500 would have cost me into 100s. Which is partly why i sold it. I cant see where else that money is going for you guys. Unless youre going for the most expensive parts even if its overkill for your build with no plans of 2000+ hp. Can someone enlighten me here?
Definitely factoring in labor, which adds up quick when you're talking about building the entire car w/ driveline.

I'll sit down tomorrow and come up with a list of expenditures from our 2015 GT, to give you an idea of what I've spent thus far.

It adds up quick.

For now, I'm heading to bed. After 10pm, my grey hair gets lighter, lol.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Definitely factoring in labor, which adds up quick when you're talking about building the entire car w/ driveline.

I'll sit down tomorrow and come up with a list of expenditures from our 2015 GT, to give you an idea of what I've spent thus far.

It adds up quick.

For now, I'm heading to bed. After 10pm, my grey hair gets lighter, lol.
Ah. I was like man. I cant get the price up anymore unless i start going with billet blocks, crazy cranks, crazy rods and crazy headwork which would be over kill for what i want :lol:

OP
OP

spdbydesign

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.spdbydesign.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Vert
Ah. I was like man. I cant get the price up anymore unless i start going with billet blocks, crazy cranks, crazy rods and crazy headwork which would be over kill for what i want :lol:
We have about $13K in our engine (Cams Additional), $3500 in the trans, $5000 in the Fuel System, $9000 in the turbo kit, Programmer w/ Custom Tune $1000. Boost Leash Boost Controller $500

That's roughly $32,000 there.

Weld Drag wheels/tires $3500.
Suspension $3000
Axles $1500

$8K There

There's a quick $40K in PARTS only, No Labor....which is probably $10K for the amount of work required. (I haven't set down to physically calculate it.)

I'm leaving out plenty of other things (Roll Cage + Chute Fab Costs ) I'm sure, but my point is, it's not hard to get $50K+ into a 4 digit build really quick.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.