Insurance modified vs non modified

Benno2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT - TripleYellow \ Black stripes
Word to the wise regarding MCPs. My last MCP with Admiral would only allow my NCD for one car, so I had to pay the none discounted premium for my second car.
I’m with Admiral and they matched the NCB across my cars but said only the ‘real’ single NCB is transferrable, the ‘mirrors’ are only within my Admiral Policy.

Benno
Sponsored

Count Drunkula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I used to be with A Plan and they were quite reasonable. This year I'm with Ouote Me Happy and they were a fiar bit cheaper. About £390 with protected NCB. I'm nid 50's 8k miles a year, car parked on drive. They didn't ask much about the mods, so all they have is "exhaust and transmission mods", which is much better than having to explain every nut and bolt to A Plan.

OP
OP
maddog1982

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
I used to be with A Plan and they were quite reasonable. This year I'm with Ouote Me Happy and they were a fiar bit cheaper. About £390 with protected NCB. I'm nid 50's 8k miles a year, car parked on drive. They didn't ask much about the mods, so all they have is "exhaust and transmission mods", which is much better than having to explain every nut and bolt to A Plan.
Do they cover like for like? Chris knott are pretty competitive and will beat any quote with proof

Count Drunkula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Do they cover like for like? Chris knott are pretty competitive and will beat any quote with proof
I'm hoping so! The policy says all "accessories" are covered. But as they don't know exactly what parts I've got on there, I suppose they're not going to say like for like. The premium was actually £382. TBH the value of my mods is pretty modest, so it's not an issue for me, but the low premium and lack of hassle is attractive

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I’m with Hinch on this. They’re all a bunch of shysters.

With modified, Be very careful what you declare, or more precisely what you don’t declare.

Sadly they are not really representing you in the event of an accident, they are actively looking for ways to avoid payment.

In the event Of an accident, If you’ve ticked that ‘modified’ box , that’s a red rag to a bull for them to tear down your post accident wreck and find that you didn’t mention whatever go faster gadget, and therefore your insurance is null and void.
That’s bad news regarding repairing your car, and if it’s your fault, repairing the other parties car, and heaven forbid there’s an injury or fatality...

Sponsored

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I’m with Hinch on this. They’re all a bunch of shysters.

With modified, Be very careful what you declare, or more precisely what you don’t declare.

Sadly they are not really representing you in the event of an accident, they are actively looking for ways to avoid payment.

In the event Of an accident, If you’ve ticked that ‘modified’ box , that’s a red rag to a bull for them to tear down your post accident wreck and find that you didn’t mention whatever go faster gadget, and therefore your insurance is null and void.
That’s bad news regarding repairing your car, and if it’s your fault, repairing the other parties car, and heaven forbid there’s an injury or fatality...
When I talk to an insurer, it's someone in their 20s / 30s. Once I give my DoB, the entire conversation changes.
I get the impression they're attitude is "He can afford to pay more, as he's older & minted".
Furthermore, the irony of 30 somethings telling someone in their 50s, what it's actually like to be 50+, isn't lost on me, but seems to be lost on them.
And then the statistics come into play.
But as we all know, thanks to politicians & epidemiologists. Stats can be interpreted to mean or reinforce any prejudice you like.

So, insurers can't & won't moderate their behaviour & instead play BS car premium bingo. Only issue then is folk start to either under insure or don't bother at all.

I was 10 times higher risk between 20 & 40, than now.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
When I talk to an insurer, it's someone in their 20s / 30s. Once I give my DoB, the entire conversation changes.
I get the impression they're attitude is "He can afford to pay more, as he's older & minted".
Furthermore, the irony of 30 somethings telling someone in their 50s, what it's actually like to be 50+, isn't lost on me, but seems to be lost on them.
The quotes are produced by the computer, I'm not sure the call handler has a button on the computer for "he can afford to pay more as he's older"!
Young people on average pay much more for their car insurance, it might not be your age but other circumstances that have increased your quote.

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
The quotes are produced by the computer, I'm not sure the call handler has a button on the computer for "he can afford to pay more as he's older"!
Young people on average pay much more for their car insurance, it might not be your age but other circumstances that have increased your quote.
You are right, but for one point. In my experience the person dealing with the quote, most times appears to have some discretion about discounting or matching other quotes, so I feel there is some flexibility, at their discretion...

But the main point I think a few are saying and I agree with, is insurers do seem to make it up as they go, when it comes to quotes and if they get too greedy, it runs the risk of pushing people out of full declaration or worse, not insuring at all.
:)
Sponsored