Sponsored

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 & 16 GT; 20 GT500 CFTP; 21 Mach 1
Hi all, this post is to share some carbon fiber additions my wife and I did on our Magnetic 2020 CFTP GT500. In the fall of last year, we ordered the Anderson Composite carbon fiber hood, along with their fenders, which arrived at our doorstep around the end of January. Over the past several months, we have been slowly working these items onto the car and finished the project over the past weekend. Here is what all was involved:

After lightly sanding the underside of the hood and wiping down with surface prep, we carefully cut and added a thermal barrier to the shallow parts of the hood. After moving hardware over to the carbon fiber hood, we took the OEM hood off and carefully lined up and installed the new hood.

1 - hood foil 1.jpg

2 - hood foil complete.jpg

3 - hood no stripes.jpg

Now for the fenders. The first step was to remove the OEM fenders from each side.
4 - DS fender off.jpg

As most are aware, the transmission control module lives inside of the passenger fender. The TCM had to be removed to access the rear bolts of the passenger fender, which also presented a good opportunity to find a way to protect the TCM from potential water exposure, as these fenders will allow water to dump into this region and the connectors are fairly exposed. (As a note: our GT500 sees 95% track miles and 5% street miles, so rarely any rain exposure. If anyone is considering these fenders on a street car that will see rain, these fenders might not be the best choice unless the TCM is somehow protected at your own risk). I decided to try sealing the TCM with race tape, which I usually use to keep wheel weights from falling off on the track cars. The amount of racers tape I used was probably overkill but at least I don't have to worry about aliens hacking into the TCM. I left a small opening below the connector to allow things to breath/drain if ever needed, and also left as much of the module casing exposed as I could to prevent heat buildup.
5 - TCM fender.jpg

6 - TCM connector.jpg

6-1 racer tape.jpg

7 - TCM taped.jpg

8 - TCM fully taped.jpg

With the fenders off and TCM done, we then took a used set of GT500 fenders and opened them up with a Dremel. As some may be aware, early iterations of the GT500 had fender vents and it seems the beveled portion of upper wheel well liner may be evidence of where those vents would have tied into had they become reality.
9 - closed liner.jpg

10 - opened liner.jpg

After opening up the liners, we cut 304 stainless steel wire mesh to fit over the opening (this was primarily done to add a second barrier of protection from pebbles/debris flying out of the fender vents onto the body work). After much test fitting, holes were drilled into the liner and the mesh was secured with OEM style push fasteners. I was skeptical that this would work but they actually hold very strongly.
11 - screen fastner.jpg

12 - full screen.jpg

13 - liner finished.jpg

With the liner work done, the fenders went onto the car with ease, but did require a little bit of aligning. Here, you can see how the Anderson vents nicely line up with the liner opening.
13-1 fender vents.jpg

We then began replacing the stripe work. Fist thing to do was measure out and re-establish the center line on the hood. What a pain in the @$$:
14 - no strip center line.jpg

For our replacement stripes, we used 3M 2080 automotive wrap film. After we designed the stripes in cutting software, we cut them with a vinyl cutter. We were inspired by the GT500HE stripes and decided to shamelessly incorporate our version of them onto the car.
15 - vinyl stripe cut.jpg

16 - vinyl stripes cut.jpg

Prior to installing the fenders, we used this same wrapping material to black out the vents on the Anderson fenders to help tie into the other black accents on the car. This job was quite difficult and required the use of knifeless tape and very careful application to avoid creases and folding on the intricate contours. We could have had this area painted black but wanted to avoid a permanent situation incase we didn't like how it turned out. Fortunately we do like it and hopefully I don't have to do it again for a long time😀.
14-1 vinyl vents.jpg

After getting the stripes set on the car, we did a light 2-stage polish/buff over the new panels, applied CMX surface prep, and CQuartz ceramic coated everything. Last weekend I dusted off my SLR camera and took some photos of the finished product. Those photos are to follow after I make this initial post...
Sponsored

Last edited:

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
That looks really good and every pound you can save is a win especially in our cars that are front weight biased(56/44). Easier on the suspension and breaking. Job well done.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
This is my new all-time favorite thread. Superb work my friend.

BabyDoc1012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Lighting XLT, ‘21 Expedition, ‘22 Mach 1

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
10/10 would look again.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Overall it is about 30 pounds reduced from the nose of the car.

The factory hood felt MUCH heavier than I was expecting (I don't have exact weights).
On the track I use an antigravity lithium battery. Saves another 30 to 40 pounds.

OP
OP
raidernixon

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 & 16 GT; 20 GT500 CFTP; 21 Mach 1
On the track I use an antigravity lithium battery. Saves another 30 to 40 pounds.
Thanks - that is good stuff. I knew there were battery options out there but I didn't realize this much weight reduction could be had. That's a good area of the car to reduce weight also. This will jump a few things on the to-do list.

Very nice! Any plans to add the CF doors as well?
Speaking of to-do lists...yes indeed, CF doors are in the cards, though they will not be happening anytime soon. They are currently on the long list

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Very nice! Any plans to add the CF doors as well?
If you go that route, you have to have at least a 6 point roll cage. The CF doors are not sufficient to protect the occupants like steel doors.

04mysticobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 2018 F150, 2022 CFTP HE
Looks great!
Sponsored