Installed a Tremec Magnum XL in my S550

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
The ultimate question here is.....”Are ceramic (or metallic) discs and solid-hubs daily-driver street-friendly?”

The choices are:

1. McLeod RST; organic; sprung if GT500 spec otherwise solid-hub
2. McLeod RXT; ceramic; sprung if GT500 spec otherwise solid-hub
3. Mantic; organic; sprung-hub
4. Mantic; ceramic; solid-hub
5. Tilton ST-246; organic; sprung-hub
6. Tilton ST-246; ceramic; solid-hub

What concerns me about the RST/RXT spung-hub variants is that McLeod tech support claims they will NOT fit in the QuickTime RM-8080 bellhousing due to their stack height (no room left for the TOB). If that’s true, I guess it narrows the options down for McLeod clutches, but how do the Mantic or Tilton setups get away with sprung-hubs then?
Oh I didn’t even think about the different dimensions of the housing. I just ordered the 26 spline discs after ordering the MT82 version of the clutch. Hopefully I don’t have any issues...

Don't really know what the issue is here. Lund has tuned mine as well and I have rev intro and hang removed. Funny thing is was that it was just explained to me they removed it from the tune because it works better with the Magnum XL in an email and I didn't even request it. Very strange.
Was your rev hang similar to mine in the video?
Sponsored

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
The ultimate question here is.....”Are ceramic (or metallic) discs and solid-hubs daily-driver street-friendly?”

The choices are:

1. McLeod RST; organic; sprung if GT500 spec otherwise solid-hub
2. McLeod RXT; ceramic; sprung if GT500 spec otherwise solid-hub
3. Mantic; organic; sprung-hub
4. Mantic; ceramic; solid-hub
5. Tilton ST-246; organic; sprung-hub
6. Tilton ST-246; ceramic; solid-hub

What concerns me about the RST/RXT spung-hub variants is that McLeod tech support claims they will NOT fit in the QuickTime RM-8080 bellhousing due to their stack height (no room left for the TOB). If that’s true, I guess it narrows the options down for McLeod clutches, but how do the Mantic or Tilton setups get away with sprung-hubs then?

From what I 'believe' and the research I did before wanting both discs to be sprung hub design, the smaller diameter of the clutch discs in regards to the Mantic, and the quick look over I did on the Tilton, allow the stack to fit with both discs being sprung hubs.

Another option that ends up being dual sprung is the dyad Centerforce clutch and it is very popular in the gt500 forum.

Also as a side note, you can get the Mantic with dual sprung ceramitalic discs. Installed that for a friend on this forum who runs an E85 Whipple setup like myself but no Tremec and it is very smooth and quiet.

Im really looking forward to all of your results based on what you guys have chosen. I would like to replace my Ram clutch for the sole reason of some of the noise i get from the one disc that is solid as the sprung one gives no issue. The clutch does work very well though.

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Oh I didn’t even think about the different dimensions of the housing. I just ordered the 26 spline discs after ordering the MT82 version of the clutch. Hopefully I don’t have any issues...

Alec I don't think you'll have any issues with the Mantic discs based on what I mentioned above.

I can't compare to what your experiencing because mine was tuned out on the first revision.

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Alec I don't think you'll have any issues with the Mantic discs based on what I mentioned above.

I can't compare to what your experiencing because mine was tuned out on the first revision.
Oh I misunderstood. I’ll have to find a way to communicate to them that other customers have had tune revisions to address it without a encroaching too much. I know tuners don’t like to hear what they should be doing from a customer. I’ll have to be tactful

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Oh I misunderstood. I’ll have to find a way to communicate to them that other customers have had tune revisions to address it without a encroaching too much. I know tuners don’t like to hear what they should be doing from a customer. I’ll have to be tactful
Yes, that can be a fine line when you're trying to achieve a goal and you know others have it. Jon Jr. did mine if that's any help. Good luck.

Sponsored

Wolverine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Oxford White Premium GTPP
I’m not sure what that McLeod guy is on about, but the clutch stack height is not an issue, you just have to use a shorter TOB which the OEM GT500 version is, or you go with an aftermarket adjustable TOB like the Tilton which has been used a lot in various applications.

Bellhousing depth is 5.340” per the link below.

Clutch assy thickness for the Tilton with the thick floater plate (to clear the hub springs) is 2.66” per the drawing below.

Min. height for the threaded sleeve mounted TOB (60-6104) is 1.77” per the drawing below.

That leaves almost an inch of adjustment.
Here is the reply I got from McLeod this morning:

“The stack height of a sprung hub is 4.040” from the crank flange to the finger + 0.275” of crank offset. There isn’t a bearing in existence that is less than a inch thick. -McLeod Tech Support”

Before we get too far along, I need to make this clear: my application is a Coyote engine with the T56 Magnum transmission, NOT the T56 Magnum XL. I know the tailshafts are different, but not sure about the input shaft length. Since I’m putting this Coyote/T56 Magnum combo into a Factory Five racecar, I’m using the QuickTime RM-8080 bellhousing (5.340” depth).....NOT the RM-8083 (6.210” depth) that others are using in their Mustangs. This is likely the reason McLeod said that their sprung hub setup wouldn’t fit in my bellhousing, since at 4”+ thick theirs is MUCH thicker overall than the Tilton twin-disc even with Tilton’s thicker floater plate.

Don't really know what the issue is here. Lund has tuned mine as well and I have rev intro and hang removed.
I had Lund remove mine too. At first he didn’t know what I was asking for, so I sent some log files to help explain. Then he went “Ohhhh! You mean Shift Assist! Yep, I can remove that.” And ever since the next tune update I received, my “rev hang” has been gone. That’s all I asked to be removed, so the other thing you call “rev intro” would still be present in my tune.

See my 2 above responses^

Another option that ends up being dual sprung is the dyad Centerforce clutch and it is very popular in the gt500 forum.
Funny you mention the DYAD, as it was my next favorite to the McLeod’s, even coming before the Mantic. I only ruled it out strictly based on cost, since it was around $1,600+ and I was looking at McLeod RST/RXT Power Packs (they include flywheels) closer to $1,000.

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Here is the reply I got from McLeod this morning:

“The stack height of a sprung hub is 4.040” from the crank flange to the finger + 0.275” of crank offset. There isn’t a bearing in existence that is less than a inch thick. -McLeod Tech Support”

Before we get too far along, I need to make this clear: my application is a Coyote engine with the T56 Magnum transmission, NOT the T56 Magnum XL. I know the tailshafts are different, but not sure about the input shaft length. Since I’m putting this Coyote/T56 Magnum combo into a Factory Five racecar, I’m using the QuickTime RM-8080 bellhousing (5.340” depth).....NOT the RM-8083 (6.210” depth) that others are using in their Mustangs. This is likely the reason McLeod said that their sprung hub setup wouldn’t fit in my bellhousing, since at 4”+ thick theirs is MUCH thicker overall than the Tilton twin-disc even with Tilton’s thicker floater plate.
Oooooooooooohhhhhhhhh. Ok :like:

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Yeah the difference in the bellhousing between the Magnum and XL would definitely make a difference, though I’m not totally sure why they’d be different. Just one of those things.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I’m having trouble figuring out how changing the transmission would impact this rev hang/shift assist issue. Did it do the same thing with the MT82 and stock clutch? With an aftermarket clutch and lightened flywheel? It’s weird.

That said, I had my car dyno tuned pretty soon after I got it, so maybe my tuner took it out already? Not sure how I could check myself, could always just email him, but I’ll be back there once the blower goes on.

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I’m having trouble figuring out how changing the transmission would impact this rev hang/shift assist issue. Did it do the same thing with the MT82 and stock clutch? With an aftermarket clutch and lightened flywheel? It’s weird.

That said, I had my car dyno tuned pretty soon after I got it, so maybe my tuner took it out already? Not sure how I could check myself, could always just email him, but I’ll be back there once the blower goes on.
It definitely didn't do it with the MT-82, even with an aftermarket clutch.

Brandon just sent me a revision with "launch assist" taken out, so I'll try it this afternoon to see if it went away.

Sponsored

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Well, rev hang is totally gone now. Drives like a dream again.

It wasn't until I specifically mentioned shift assist that it clicked with Brandon (not sure why he couldn't figure it out from just rev hang in the T56 swap). Now we know what specific verbiage to use with Lund.

Thanks a ton to everyone in this thread. Now to put in the Mantic...

Wolverine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Oxford White Premium GTPP
Glad you got it sorted. I kept calling it “rev hang” in my initial communication with Lund, but they were NOT getting the point.... I was a bit annoyed, because my explanation was extremely clear and precise, and they still asked to see log files of the phenomenon. So I sent them. Like I said earlier in this thread, he came back saying “Oh you mean Shift Assist!” and from that point on we were on the same page.

TL;DR - Use the term “Shift Assist” to ensure clear communication when dealing with Lund on what everyone else calls “rev hang”.

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Glad you got it sorted. I kept calling it “rev hang” in my initial communication with Lund, but they were NOT getting the point.... I was a bit annoyed, because my explanation was extremely clear and precise, and they still asked to see log files of the phenomenon. So I sent them. Like I said earlier in this thread, he came back saying “Oh you mean Shift Assist!” and from that point on we were on the same page.

TL;DR - Use the term “Shift Assist” to ensure clear communication when dealing with Lund on what everyone else calls “rev hang”.
It was crazy too because they were already trying to dismiss what I was asking for. No log or anything; he said “it comes with the territory” verbatim lol

Alex.Envy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Nice man! Yeah the transmissions great, the only annoying thing for a daily is that it doesn’t like to be below 2k RPM

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Well boys, figured I'd break in the trans properly with some fun on the streets.

Here's a short 50 roll vs an auto Cam C7 spraying a 200 shot. Excuse the granny shifting as I'm still not super confident with it. The end makes up for it :rockon:

Sponsored