Installed a Tremec Magnum XL in my S550

Discussion in 'Transmission & Drivetrain' started by db252, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Poseidon.s550

Poseidon.s550 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 mustang GT PP
    0   0   0
    Nice dude! What canards do you have? I think what I like the most about this trans is that I can launch it at like 5500 lol, don’t do it often though cause I’m scared for my clutch and axles

2. aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alec
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT PP
    Engineer - Med Devices
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    APR for all my aero stuff. I used to have swaying issues that have been totally eliminated since then.

Poseidon.s550 likes this.
  3. Poseidon.s550

Poseidon.s550 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 mustang GT PP
    0   0   0
    Little off topic but got any pictures?

4. Wolverine

Wolverine Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '17 Oxford White Premium GTPP
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    @aleccolin - Have you received your Tilton ST-246 clutch yet? I’ve pretty much decided against McLeod and in favor of going with this new Tilton myself. Now just to choose sprung-hub organic or solid-hub ceramic.

5. aleccolin

aleccolin Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Colin
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT PP
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    Clutch came in last week, got the trans and driveshaft on Monday. I have a couple other small projects to finish first before diving into the Mustang again, but I'll take some pictures over the weekend for y'all.

6. Wolverine

Vehicle(s):
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    @aleccolin - Any chance for those pictures, or an unboxing overview? Did you go with the organic-disc sprung-hub version? I’m about to place my order, so just holding out for your thoughts on it.. sorry to keep bugging! Lol

7. aleccolin

First Name:
    Colin
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT PP
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    No bother, I’ll try to do that tomorrow night or Friday, been working 12s so haven’t done any car stuff in a minute.

I got the organic sprung hub, since I’m going for as much of an OE-like experience as possible.

I will say that my initial impression just from checking it out in my office, Tilton lives up to their name! Every piece was flawless and obviously designed and manufactured with care. I really feel this will become the go-to clutch option for these swaps.

8. aleccolin

First Name:
    Colin
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT PP
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    #113 aleccolin, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Took the clutch to work and opened it up again to take some pics for y'all. Won't have any idea about installation until I get into it, but here's some thoughts below.

DPIahipm.jpg Nl7Cgqam.jpg GsOzsVRm.jpg

Hardware appears to be top notch, either repackaged ARP or equivalent.

DVNz38Sm.jpg vWy3Cwhm.jpg TQwzlaNm.jpg

HFZhCcbm.jpg UnSZDrZm.jpg FWieXJum.jpg

Clutch comes fully assembled except for the friction disc that rides against the flywheel. This is good, except the middle friction disc is slightly off-center. You could easily unbolt the floater plate, but I'll throw it in the press to release the tension and center it up before install.

NLaKHowl.jpg

EDusgXtl.jpg

mgFkmKBl.jpg

Friction discs are what you'd expect, the springs and hubs are off center to the inside, running inside the ID of the floater plate and pressure plate, which explains part of how they can get the stack height down to only 2.66 in. Plenty of meat on these discs, and the construction is overall very stout.

cDSoDRpl.jpg

PTA39N9l.jpg

Ku2Oxmsl.jpg

Floater plate appears to be blanchard ground and then scotchbrited for a non-directional finish. I wouldn't be surprised if this thing indicated within a couple tenths on a surface plate.

0cl1U13l.jpg

Machining all around is PERFECT, even the anodizing on the pressure plate cover is top notch.

x1R8K6Hl.jpg

Hi7rTUtm.jpg HxOe3DUm.jpg

Chromoly flywheel is nicely blued and the machining is PERFECT. Threads, ring gear, everything. The friction surface is also ground and everything is well oiled. Flywheel is 17lbs and unique to this clutch, you'll see why in the pics.

RWrbuPKl.jpg

9BD0ewfl.jpg

HytjO6wl.jpg

So here's a detail I really like, the clutch cover has monolithic standoffs that appear VERY rigid, but they also have a step milled in the inside face that registers with edge of the friction surface on the flywheel. And let me tell you, it's a perfect fit, maybe one thou tolerance. It dropped right down flat with a little pressure and it took a small tug to get it back off. Concentricity is never going to be an issue with this design.

HRMCRGyl.jpg

RNGYeDNl.jpg

56i3z3xl.jpg

It appears that Tilton put some serious thought and effort into designing a "street" clutch with all the pedigree of their race clutches that have had so much success over the years. I'm honestly shocked how inexpensive this setup is especially since it comes with the flywheel. I'll be using their adjustable hydraulic throwout bearing as well, to complete the package.

So that's it, hope that helps!

9. OP
    OP
    db252

db252 Equinsu Ocha

Vehicle(s):
    16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
    Rating:
    100%
    4   0   0
    Very nice @aleccolin and appreciate all the pictures/insights. Really looking forward to your results and how the clutch feels to you pre/post break in. Did you get a complete weight of all components?

10. aleccolin

First Name:
    Colin
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT PP
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    #115 aleccolin, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    I didn't weigh it yet, but I can do that. The flywheel is 17# so I'm guessing the clutch is about the same, so I would estimate somewhere around 30-35# total. It's a smallish diameter though 11.5" overall (clutch cover) with discs and plates under 10", so it would take some enginerding to figure out how that really compares in terms of rotational inertia.

11. OP
    OP
    db252

db252 Equinsu Ocha

Vehicle(s):
    16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
    Rating:
    100%
    4   0   0
    As far as inertia goes, you’ll most likely be close to the Mantic physics. Here’s a pic of the Mantic next to the stock clutch. Mantic discs are 9.5” and it’s flywheel is 14 lbs so close to what the Tilton seems to be based on your findings.

434D21EC-E400-486B-B716-82CE52C7974B.jpeg

12. Wolverine

Vehicle(s):
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    Thank you @aleccolin !!!

Also....I’m sold. Ordering the exact same clutch as soon as I find a shop to sell me a T56 Magnum and this clutch setup for a decent price. Looks great!

13. aleccolin

First Name:
    Colin
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT PP
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    Happy to help, FWIW I shopped around for a while and ultimately just got everything through MDL. I wouldn't have saved much (if anything) piecemealing it together and MDL was the only way to get the QA1 driveshaft. Factoring shipping, I probably came out ahead (MDL did $100 flat for all of it to a commercial address). Any way you look at it, this swap is going to be more money than I had hoped, but it'll be done right.

14. frankrizzo487

frankrizzo487 Member

First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT premium convertible (PP)
    electrical inspector
    0   0   0
    Trans is in! So excited to have a useful first gear now!! Longest 500 miles of my life breaking in this McLeod RST clutch.. Deff go with the bowler harness that abbot box is BS..

15. shogun32

shogun32 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT+PP, EB+PP, SS+1LE, GTI Rabbit
    0   0   0
    is it strictly speaking miles driven or 'pulling away from stop's? I think you should be able to log 500 miles in about 3 days without trying that hard, a week easy.