Sponsored

Importing a GT350R to the UK?

Usman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda RX8 R3
Hello All,

After having visited these forums for the past few years, I finally took the plunge to register and start posting myself.

As a UK resident, I was glad to hear that the Mustang GT was finally being sold through the dealerships here! However, with a 18 month waiting list (according to my local dealership) and a £10-15K mark up in the second hand market, I thought it might make more sense to import a GT350R instead (which by the way is still a US-only model).

Not sure if a similar thread has been posted before but I was wondering whether someone would be kind enough to explain (i) the possibility to import a car without having to go through the usual importers and (ii) whether it would be as simple as placing an order with a US based dealership and arrange transportation myself.
Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Actually, your biggest uphill battle would be finding an R to export to start with. Good luck in your journey though and hopefully it won't go tits up.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Welcome to M6G

Your biggest problem will be to find a US dealer that:

A - Has a GT350R allocation
B - Isn't going to charge a huge ADM
C - Will actually sell to a non-US resident

Ford do not like their dealers selling to customers outside the US but some have ways around this. Sometimes they will sell to another local dealer and you buy the car second hand from them.

I know of someone in a similar position to yourself, who has self imported several Mustangs, including a Boss 302, and he just couldn't find anyone who would deal with him....at least not without charging a stupid mark up.

If you do find a dealer willing to work with you, I can certainly put you in contact with some reliable companies who could get it shipped and the IVA (lighting conversion) carried out once over here :)

OP
OP
Usman

Usman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda RX8 R3
Thanks for the quick reply guys!

I had a feeling that finding a dealer with an R allocation might be one of my biggest issues, however, I hadn't taken into consideration that US dealers may not be so keen to work with overseas buyers.

My original idea was to contact dealers in the states where sales tax isn't added to the sale price - according to my research, this varies state to state - something us UK buyers luckily haven't had to consider before. Please correct me if I am wrong on this front!

Paul - is it possible if you could tell me what sort of mark up your pal was being quoted?

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I believe it was in the region of $20k over. IIRC, it was a non-R he was going for.

He ended up deciding to buy a C7 Stingray instead of the GT350.

Another alternative, although perhaps just as expensive, would be to talk to Bill Shepherd Mustang in Byfleet. I believe he has a GT350 due to arrive in his showroom very soon. Not sure if that's an R model though.

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford

I had a feeling that finding a dealer with an R allocation might be one of my biggest issues, however, I hadn't taken into consideration that US dealers may not be so keen to work with overseas buyers.

My original idea was to contact dealers in the states where sales tax isn't added to the sale price - according to my research, this varies state to state - something us UK buyers luckily haven't had to consider before. Please correct me if I am wrong on this front!
One of the dealer's I am currently in talks with is adament about collecting the taxes, whichever state I am in. He said this is done to prevent the car from going overseas. I didn't even know that was a thing until he said it.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

Paul - is it possible if you could tell me what sort of mark up your pal was being quoted?
Have you looked at Geiger in Munich? www.geigercars.de

Last edited:

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
You might have to swap some parts from the UK mustang to be legal, but I'm certain it would be easy since there is a UK legal mustang now.

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
according to my research, this varies state to state - something us UK buyers luckily haven't had to consider before. Please correct me if I am wrong on this front!
You are correct. We have no national VAT here, and each state (and sometimes city or county) has their own specific sales tax. That said, if I bought a car outside of Texas, I'd only be expected to pay the Texas state sales tax upon registering the car.

I'm having business discussions with a friend in Munich around an automotive import/export business. The strength of the US Dollar has dampened our plans to ship US -> EU. It's also a real pain in the ass to have a car in the US that doesn't have a US-type VIN. I still really want a Defender 90 with a steering wheel on the right side :)

All that aside, let me know how I might be able to assist. The Port of Houston is not far from me.

Helmet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Have a look at Geigercars.de the have a few GT350's and Import fee's might be a little cheaper if you decide to go with a regular GT350

Sponsored

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
If you "do it yourself" you will also likely have an issue at customs importing a vehicle which is not compliant with your national regulations. I assume Geiger will deal with all the regulatory issues (at least for their target sales countries), but there will be a price for that undoubtedly.

I worked very hard to get an R allocation in July last year. Placed my order Aug 5 and am still waiting. 2016 R is likely not achievable this late, so start looking for a MY17. Ordering for that starts in early April I think. You can find the actual Ford schedule elsewhere on this site.

Sadly, it's just not as simple as getting one and shipping it to the UK.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
If you "do it yourself" you will also likely have an issue at customs importing a vehicle which is not compliant with your national regulations. I assume Geiger will deal with all the regulatory issues (at least for their target sales countries), but there will be a price for that undoubtedly.

I worked very hard to get an R allocation in July last year. Placed my order Aug 5 and am still waiting. 2016 R is likely not achievable this late, so start looking for a MY17. Ordering for that starts in early April I think. You can find the actual Ford schedule elsewhere on this site.

Sadly, it's just not as simple as getting one and shipping it to the UK.

Good luck! :thumbsup:
Because they are in Germany, the cars they sell are most likely already EU compliant.
Sponsored