Identify please.....

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m in-between cars
Oh for sure. But this is one you beat up on the track and not feel bad! I'd take this over an original any day.
was going through your own thread and had to post my buddy The Stig
1619125212460.gif
Sponsored

ddeluce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT California Special with Power Pack 1
šŸ˜‚it says on the license plate. But most likely a Shelby Legacy Carā€™s continuation, Shelby Legacy Cars are made by Superformance with the license of Shelby International. If it is a Continuation car then it is an actual Shelby, and not a replica.

1619051762621.jpeg

The Cobra Daytona was the car that proceeded the GT350 and succeeded the Shelby Cobra. It was the creation of Peter Brock. Brock also being the designer of the 1965 GT350/GT350R.

First tested at Riverside International Raceway, and the only change via the Cobra was a body change that took advantage of a FIA rule. It dominated in 1964, so much that Enzo pulled a fast one and had the last race changed to a non points scoring event so that he could win the championship.

Famous drivers: Bob Bondurant, Dan Gurney, Allen Grant, Ken Miles, etc.

Only a few Daytonaā€™s were made. Real ones are multimillion dollar cars.

The next year Shelby returned to compete with the Daytona and they won the 1965 FIA World Championship.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/cobras-corvettes-gts-inside-superformance-gallery/

The Daytona stopped being developed when Ford brought the Ford GT to Shelby in LAX in 1965.
Shelby wanted to race in Europe in 1964, but the Cobra roadsters didn't have the top end speed needed to compete with Ferrari on the longer straights of the European circuits like Le Mans and Monza. The 427 Cobra was not fully developed so SA was in a bit of a bind on what to do. Pete Brock's idea to enclose the Cobra looked like an economical solution. The original Daytona Coupe was built on the chassis from CSX2286, a Cobra roadster race car. The body was stripped off and replaced by the body designed by Pete Brock. The project started in Nov. 1963 and the car was tested on Feb. 1, 1964. Results were impressive. Shelby decided to build 5 more. Five more chassis were ordered from AC, and 5 more bodies were contracted out to an Italian coach maker. The coupes were campaigned in the 1964 and 1965 racing seasons as mentioned above. SA campaigned both the Daytona coupes and the GT-40 Mk. IIs in 1965.

The car in photo is definitely a replica or continuation car. The modern racing seats and low profile tires make my think it is a replica, but who knows. We have a continuation Daytona Coupe (CSX7000 series car) at the Cobra Experience museum in Martinez, CA. It has the period correct 15 wheels and low back seats as well as the spare tire under the rear window and white side exhaust pipes.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m in-between cars
Shelby wanted to race in Europe in 1964, but the Cobra roadsters didn't have the top end speed needed to compete with Ferrari on the longer straights of the European circuits like Le Mans and Monza. The 427 Cobra was not fully developed so SA was in a bit of a bind on what to do. Pete Brock's idea to enclose the Cobra looked like an economical solution. The original Daytona Coupe was built on the chassis from CSX2286, a Cobra roadster race car. The body was stripped off and replaced by the body designed by Pete Brock. The project started in Nov. 1963 and the car was tested on Feb. 1, 1964. Results were impressive. Shelby decided to build 5 more. Five more chassis were ordered from AC, and 5 more bodies were contracted out to an Italian coach maker. The coupes were campaigned in the 1964 and 1965 racing seasons as mentioned above. SA campaigned both the Daytona coupes and the GT-40 Mk. IIs in 1965.

The car in photo is definitely a replica or continuation car. The modern racing seats and low profile tires make my think it is a replica, but who knows. We have a continuation Daytona Coupe (CSX7000 series car) at the Cobra Experience museum in Martinez, CA. It has the period correct 15 wheels and low back seats as well as the spare tire under the rear window and white side exhaust pipes.
You should check out my post #25, second page which has an interview from Peter.

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303
Anyone interested in the history of the Daytona Coupes should check out the "Cobra-Ferrari Wars 1963-1965" by Michael Shoen, amazing read. IIRC, at one time Shoen owned 2 Coupes.

Sponsored

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m in-between cars
Peter Brock had emailed this to me two months ago. A for sale for an old race car that was converted to street use. One of the six original cars that are now valued at over 7 million.

three thoughts come to mind:

1) I wish I had a time machine (anyā€”Delorean, Quantum Leap Time Watch, Heā€™ll even a Hot Tub šŸ› time machine) so I could go back in time, buy it and bury it away in an underground vault.

2) I wonder what the owner bought?

3) I wonder if he ever lived to see what his old used race car šŸŽ turned intoā€”value wise and if he kicks himself everyday for it?

F3836ADA-C053-4577-921B-A9261D761C60.jpeg

V8 Voodoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150 XLT 5.0 V8
Peter Brock had emailed this to me two months ago. A for sale for an old race car that was converted to street use. One of the six original cars that are now valued at over 7 million.

three thoughts come to mind:

1) I wish I had a time machine (anyā€”Delorean, Quantum Leap Time Watch, Heā€™ll even a Hot Tub šŸ› time machine) so I could go back in time, buy it and bury it away in an underground vault.

2) I wonder what the owner bought?

3) I wonder if he ever lived to see what his old used race car šŸŽ turned intoā€”value wise and if he kicks himself everyday for it?

F3836ADA-C053-4577-921B-A9261D761C60.jpeg
Three things come to mind when I read this post:

1. I wish Pete Brock would email me.

dos. That is two in Spanish.

3. I have this clipping saved on my phone to remind me to keep working on my time machine

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
CSX number would tell us. Its a Real Shelby. I have my doubts its an original Daytona considering they we all race cars
Itā€™s not one of the original 6. You can look at the doors and tell. The continuation cars have longer doors than the original cars. Brock redesigned the doors and hatch area to be more comfortable and to accommodate a ā€œlargerā€ driver. Like you said the original 6 were strictly race cars and werenā€™t very comfortable road cars. The new door design allowed for windows which the original had plexiglass sliders.

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
PS I still believe this car and the Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato, Ferrari 250 GTO are the 3 most beautiful cars ever designed šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø

Sponsored

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP

Caustic Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 1965 Sunbeam Mk-1A, Kirkham 289 FIA
If I am not mistaken, the remaining continuation cars were completed by McCluskey Ltd (Mike McCluskey) in Torrance, California. If you have an opportunity drop by that shop...it is just amazing! You will regularly see original Cobras, Ferrari's and other exotics being restored or maintained there. It's mind boggling to think how much money is under that roof at any given time.

Btw, I had the stripes painted on my gt350 there, as it was very reasonably priced. Luis, the painter is a really nice guy and is a spectacular artist when it comes to painting these multi-million dollar cars.

Socalrugger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H4111
If I am not mistaken, the remaining continuation cars were completed by McCluskey Ltd (Mike McCluskey) in Torrance, California. If you have an opportunity drop by that shop...it is just amazing! You will regularly see original Cobras, Ferrari's and other exotics being restored or maintained there. It's mind boggling to think how much money is under that roof at any given time.

Btw, I had the stripes painted on my gt350 there, as it was very reasonably priced. Luis, the painter is a really nice guy and is a spectacular artist when it comes to painting these multi-million dollar cars.
I drive by that shop in Torrance almost daily and have yet to make the detour. Kick myself every time as Iā€™m sure it would be like a kid in a candy store there.