Sponsored

IAT with upgraded IC

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I'm thinking of doing something similar, but instead of transferring the heat from air to water, water to refrigerate and refrigerate to air, my plan is to wrap my cold side charge pipe with 3/8" refrigerate tubing (starting at the top, near the thottle body and stopping at the bottom, near the outlet of the air to air Intercooler) and using 1/4" refrigerate tubing (from the high side of the OEM a/c) as a metering device (and returning the heat soaked refrigerate to the OEM a/c low side).
Would be wildly inefficient. There's a reason that the evaporator (or virtually any air ventilation exchange) goes across a radiator. The goal is to maximize the surface area between the chilled component and the air. Going across a radiator/manifold increases the surface area exchange dramatically. If you try to "wrap" a tube flow, the only exchange is on the outside of the airflow as it passes through (which is also the slowest portion of the piping flow).

The other inefficiency is that liquid holds and stores way more thermal capacity than air, so by going air to water (vice versa) the chilling system can create less than ambient reservoir of stored cold material which can then be utilized as a heat sink for high load conditions.

I have the interchiller you posted above (being installed now) and I opted to install it a little differently than for drag setup. Drag setup is preferred to simply chill and recirculate the coolant in a reservoir, which your blower cooling system uses. This allows you to run the pump and chiller and create very cold store for use later. That's more ideal for a drag setup. I'm using it to simply supplement the intercooler and provide continuous temp drops when the car is running sustained hard (i.e. the discharge from the blower is above ambient).
Sponsored

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Would be wildly inefficient. There's a reason that the evaporator (or virtually any air ventilation exchange) goes across a radiator. The goal is to maximize the surface area between the chilled component and the air. Going across a radiator/manifold increases the surface area exchange dramatically. If you try to "wrap" a tube flow, the only exchange is on the outside of the airflow as it passes through (which is also the slowest portion of the piping flow).

The other inefficiency is that liquid holds and stores way more thermal capacity than air, so by going air to water (vice versa) the chilling system can create less than ambient reservoir of stored cold material which can then be utilized as a heat sink for high load conditions.

I have the interchiller you posted above (being installed now) and I opted to install it a little differently than for drag setup. Drag setup is preferred to simply chill and recirculate the coolant in a reservoir, which your blower cooling system uses. This allows you to run the pump and chiller and create very cold store for use later. That's more ideal for a drag setup. I'm using it to simply supplement the intercooler and provide continuous temp drops when the car is running sustained hard (i.e. the discharge from the blower is above ambient).
Awesome, keep us updated on your Interchiller install, plenty of pictures!

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
IAT2 is on the intercooler.
It's a bit confusing.... and could be both or neither?? or a combination of serval sensors including, but not limited to the IAT, located near/at the air filter box?
IMG_20230709_152255254~2.jpg

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Here's a few pictures from a Ford manual.
IMG_20230709_151646915.jpg
IMG_20230709_151428453.jpg

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I believe (could be wrong) that IAT1 is in the airbox and IAT2 is integrated into the pressure sensor on the intercooler.

Sponsored

JJSSI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 EcoBoost HPP w/Handling Package, 2004 Boxster S, 2013 Jeep JK,
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the temperature sensor on the MAPT is used only to compensate the pressure readings for temperature. Only a best guess.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
IAT1 sensor ( temperature only) is located in the airbox outlet between the filter and the intake tube going to the turbo inlet, IAT2 ( MAPT sensor-manifold absolute pressure and temperature) is in top center of intake manifold per coyotes post above and measures both manifold vacuum and pressure when under boost as well as temp of air in intake before going into the cylinders.

The MAP sensor in the outlet side (drivers) of the IC only measures vacuum/boost pressure out of the turbo/IC not temperature.

There may be slight differences in vacuum/boost readings between the MAP in IC and MAPT in intake manifold due to electronic throttle blade opening/flow restrictions. The throttle blade will never be at a 100% open scenario since there is no mechanical connection between your desired WOT from your foot and what the PCM deems is actual/required percent throttle required to meet the commanded torque requested by your foot. At the very best you will get 90% or less of WOT at any given time.

No cable to the throttle means no 100% WOT ever in fly by wire systems.

BD

OP
OP

Ranebowcyxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2023 Auto Ecoboost, 2020 Tesal Model 3
All good points you all have made, I wasn't referring to my finding I was trying figure the marketing hype from truth. I have run meth in my last mustang and am considering a similar setup for this one. You guys definitely have a wealth of knowledge for sure.
Sponsored