IAT with upgraded IC

Ranebowcyxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2023 Auto Ecoboost, 2020 Tesal Model 3
I'm seeing AIT temps being below ambient temps, is this really possible, I'm reading about AITs half of ambient temps. What am I missing. This my first turbo car so go easy on me. :)
Sponsored

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Lightning Blue
Not having a go here but is your measuring device set to degrees C rather than degrees F?

OP
OP

Ranebowcyxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, set to F, confirmed by the Access port and the "gauges" for the in car readout. Not a bad thought though

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
This is also my first turbo car, though I have not upgraded my IC yet.

I THINK, a larger/more efficient IC has greater air cooling ability (at least you would hope!) at the expense of pressure. A larger IC will effectively lower the pressure as the recently compressed hot hits those heat-sink fins and cools off. Cool off a compressed fluid (air) and you get a reduction in pressure.

I find it hard to imagine getting below ambient without really losing a lot of pressure. But I am sure there is some mathematical formula for this that explains everything. I have always been skeptical of the advertisements claiming 30 degrees below ambient.

OP
OP

Ranebowcyxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
You're right of course about compressing air it heating up, and I don't know how much
fast evap you get. I have been monitoring my AITs for the last week, with both the Cobb and the car gauges and as long as i'm moving the stock IC keeps it the temps within 4-6 degrees of ambient

Sponsored

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
I'm seeing AIT temps being below ambient temps, is this really possible, I'm reading about AITs half of ambient temps. What am I missing. This my first turbo car so go easy on me. :)
You may want to locate the sensor and check for proper voltage. The Air Intake Temperature sensor, should be located between the air filter and turbocharger, and your IAT2 sensor should be located within your intake manifold or MAP (map-t) sensor.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
You're not seeing IAT below ambient without a meth kit. There's an error somewhere.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
When you start the car and begin, you'll see IAT's below ambient because the fluid is all at garage temperature. After a short while, the fluid temp will climb to above ambient and steady state for the recent heat/output/use you've been laying down. So if you cruise, you should see IAT's climb until they reach equilibrium with the whole system.

This is why it's no bueno to dyno a "cold" car because you're getting nice IAT's (compared to the actual reality of most of your driving conditions).

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
This is also my first turbo car, though I have not upgraded my IC yet.

I THINK, a larger/more efficient IC has greater air cooling ability (at least you would hope!) at the expense of pressure. A larger IC will effectively lower the pressure as the recently compressed hot hits those heat-sink fins and cools off. Cool off a compressed fluid (air) and you get a reduction in pressure.

I find it hard to imagine getting below ambient without really losing a lot of pressure. But I am sure there is some mathematical formula for this that explains everything. I have always been skeptical of the advertisements claiming 30 degrees below ambient.
Yes and no. You're keeping the pressure constant with the turbo, so by cooling the air through the intercooler, you're not losing pressure, but making the charge more dense. In terms of flow, the intercooler will have some pressure drop across it. The stock one is likely the worst and every step up in aftermarket size will be marginally less. The downside is the actual mass of air between the turbo and the engine. The bigger it is, the more it contributes to turbo lag. It's all a compromise. The CVF street intercooler is a good option if you're not CARB sensitive and the Garrett one if you are. They're the same damned thing, but the latter has a fancy sticker on it.

Aftermarket intercoolers really free up the breathing of the car to a surprising amount and having a functional intercooler (the stock one is for visual purposes only) does wonders for performance (by lowering intake temps) even without a tuning the ECU.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
You may want to locate the sensor and check for proper voltage. The Air Intake Temperature sensor, should be located between the air filter and turbocharger, and your IAT2 sensor should be located within your intake manifold or MAP (map-t) sensor.
IAT2 is on the intercooler.

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
DIdn't realize the OP was turbo and not blower. With a turbo setup, it's physically impossible to see lower than ambient IAT2's with an air to air intercooler.

If you're setup to register IAT1 between the intake filter (or turbo guard) and the compressor and IAT2 after the intercooler but before the intake, then something is definitely improper or reading incorrectly if you're getting less than ambient.

OP
OP

Ranebowcyxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
DIdn't realize the OP was turbo and not blower. With a turbo setup, it's physically impossible to see lower than ambient IAT2's with an air to air intercooler.

If you're setup to register IAT1 between the intake filter (or turbo guard) and the compressor and IAT2 after the intercooler but before the intake, then something is definitely improper or reading incorrectly if you're getting less than ambient.
I agree it's impossible that's why I don't see how tuners and end users tout this amazing feat.
I probably back to meth like my last Mustang.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
IAT will never go below ambient without some form of artificial cooling on a NA car, nevermind on a FI car.

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Not Impossible!
I've been wondering if this is a trick question?
Is the car equipped with an "Interchiller", not an intercooler, an Interchiller.
Forced Induction of Australia, builds an Interchiller, which uses your cars a/c system, to deliver below ambient temperatures.
Screenshot_20230706-191642.png

Last edited:

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
I'm thinking of doing something similar, but instead of transferring the heat from air to water, water to refrigerate and refrigerate to air, my plan is to wrap my cold side charge pipe with 3/8" refrigerate tubing (starting at the top, near the thottle body and stopping at the bottom, near the outlet of the air to air Intercooler) and using 1/4" refrigerate tubing (from the high side of the OEM a/c) as a metering device (and returning the heat soaked refrigerate to the OEM a/c low side).
Sponsored