Sponsored

I Want a 2016 Mustang...

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
Privately sell your car and if it gets to be a pain then just trade it. I did a private sell with my BMW before I bought my Mustang and netted about $3k more than the dealership would offer, but you're right, it is a gigantic pain in the butt- lowballing a-holes that ask you 12 million questions then offer you half of what you're asking, people that just don't have any money but "really want your car", no shows, no shows and more no shows. I probably had 400 emails, calls, and messages on my previous BMW in a month. Second guy that came to drive it bought it though.

And GT with Performance Package, check out Koons Ford, there are plenty dealers in your area and you will save enough to make the PP GT a no brainer.

<-- and duh... Race Red!
Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
yep, ive seen base GTPPs going for 29-31k. and i thought i got it for a steal at 32,700

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
Well from one young man (21 yo) to another, if you are really keen on a GT, get the base GT. You'll be thankful that you did when the student loans come rolling in. If I could do it all over again, I would've gotten the Ecoboost and have a lot more residual income for when times get difficult (and they will get difficult). Just some food for thought.
If we are going with the fellow young man advice (23 at time of purchase) make a budget if you have not already and fill in everything you need to pay for each month and include at least double for your student loans, double the insurance rates for your Honda (I came from a V6 accord to a GTPP) and see if you can still swing it. If the answer is barely then get the V6 if the answer is yes with money left to spare then get the GTPP. That's what I did and I couldn't be happier! My wife and I are saving for a house and planning on kids in the next few years as well. You only live once works both ways. Have fun but make sure it can last!

SlimReaper

SlimReaper
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brien
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
If we are going with the fellow young man advice (23 at time of purchase) make a budget if you have not already and fill in everything you need to pay for each month and include at least double for your student loans, double the insurance rates for your Honda (I came from a V6 accord to a GTPP) and see if you can still swing it. If the answer is barely then get the V6 if the answer is yes with money left to spare then get the GTPP. That's what I did and I couldn't be happier! My wife and I are saving for a house and planning on kids in the next few years as well. You only live once works both ways. Have fun but make sure it can last!
This ^ Joining the Air Force helps a lot too lol.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Moving a bit fast there aren't we?? lol I'm 24 and I've been with my girl for 6 years and I can't imagine wanting a kid for at least 8 or so years lol

Sponsored

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
Moving a bit fast there aren't we?? lol I'm 24 and I've been with my girl for 6 years and I can't imagine wanting a kid for at least 8 or so years lol
I had friends growing up whose parents were in their early to mid 30s when they were born and I much prefer the relationship I had with my much younger parents. We are planning to split the difference with late 20s so we are still mid-late 40s when they graduate high school. Everyone has different plans.

OP
OP

StangThang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord 2013
1. If you have a lot of debt, I'd probably stick with the V6. The GT is a fairly large price jump, and you have to take into account the insurance costs (especially if you're young).

2. Selling privately typically does yield more money, but it can be a huge hassle. Keep in mind that in some states when you trade in a vehicle and use it as a credit towards the purchase price of a car, you only pay sales tax on the price of the vehicle after subtracting your trade-in value. Those savings might negate the extra cash you might get selling privately (plus you avoid the hassle of selling a car yourself).

3. I'd go for the 15 in the late fall. You'd save a lot, and the only real difference I know of for the 16s is the new Ford Sync 3.

4. Black is a pain in the ass to take care of. Unless you plan on having the time to wash it constantly and use QD spray after driving it every time to make it look good, I wouldn't go that route.
You don't Sync 3 would be worth waiting to pull the trigger on a 2016 MY?

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
why not, it's only a week or two until the order banks for MY16 opens up

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Get a 16, Sync 3 is the best thing in life, it doesn't even matter what engine you get, Sync 3 adds 350~ HP by itself.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
IMO I'd pay off the debt before considering any serious purchases. I'm young myself (25), and while I don't have a high paying (but no debt), it will be at least one more year before I realistically consider ordering a GT/PP as I will be depending on a signifcantly large down payment in order to keep the monthly payment low enough to maintain a reasonable quality of life. It also doesn't help that my car has essentially no value, so I've got nothing to help as far as trade-ins.

Sponsored

Ender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 B5 Blue Challenger Scat Pack
You don't Sync 3 would be worth waiting to pull the trigger on a 2016 MY?
MyFord Touch definitely isn't perfect, but it works fine for my purposes. I hardly ever have to interact with it, mainly just for climate control and such since I use my phone for music and navigation. The new system seems to be faster, but looks rather bland to me.

Give it a look and decide for yourself: http://www.cnet.com/videos/the-new-ford-sync-3/

thxultra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost, 2016 Mercedes C300
Why are you not considering the EB as a middle ground?

and don't get black ;)
Love this car in black :) I stayed away from red because people never saw the tail lights on my 2006 and kept rear ending it. The black looks sharp but needs to be clean :) As far as what to buy only you can decide that. If you need the power and are ok with 15mpg and a bit higher insurance costs then go for the GT. They are crazy fast cars. Otherwise I would try to do the ecoboost. Car is still plenty quick and much better gas mileage. Insurance costs will be cheaper also. 0 to 60 on the ecoboost is around 5.3 sec so no slouch. There are also some great tunes for it so you can get them faster. Saw a video of a ecoboost doing the 1/4 in 12.6 that is pretty amazing.

justindo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium
From a purely practical perspective, you should keep your Honda and drive it for at least another decade, fully fund your Roth IRA and your 401K, pay off your student loans ASAP, and save as much money as you can.

If I were you, I wouldn't even consider a new car until my student loans were paid off and I was certain about my career path. If you are going to go back to school in a few years and take a lower paying job after graduation, I would definitely keep the Honda. After your student loan is paid off, which you may be able to do fairly quickly if you are making decent money and are frugal, then you should make a budget. Better yet, make one now). If you can comfortably pay for all your expenses, fully fund your Roth IRA, fund your 401K at least up to what your employer matches, save some extra money, and still have enough money left over for a car payment, then you may be able to reasonably afford a new Mustang.

Then the question becomes V6 or GT. There's no denying the V8 sounds and performs better, and it looks gorgeous under the hood. Still, the V6 is a great engine that is still fast and performs very nicely, especially if you get the 3.55 axle ratio. Have you driven them both? If you must have a GT, consider the base for the money savings. The Premium trim with some extra options is very tempting and very nice, but it's a lot of money over the base GT and especially the V6. As for looks, the V6 looks about the same (9 out of 10 people won't know the difference) and the interior and features are still pretty nice.

If your state allows you to only pay the sales tax on the difference between your trade in and your new car, trade it in. If not, it depends on how much time you want to spend selling your car. You will probably get more than if you trade it in, but it may not be enough to be worth the time and trouble.

Color is a personal preference but black is very, very hard to keep looking nice.

MustangS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
'15 Vert GT
Holy cow with that much debt you shouldn't be buying a new car!

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Get either Black or White! Black looks looks the best of any color but you need to detail it alot. White just looks clean all the time. These two colors never go out of style.
Sponsored