Sponsored

Do you want to see an AWD Mustang? Is it still a Mustang?

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
With the Corvette going over to a different layout, it got me thinking what could be the next incarnation of the Mustang in the future. We all know that being front engine and rear drive has certain limitations and the less powered C8 doing very well against a much more powered GT500.

Do you think Mustang will need to become a all wheel drive vehicle to help it get the power down?

Do you think it is still a Mustang or should Ford make a separate nameplate for an AWD car?
Sponsored

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
Ford is building out the mustang nameplate so it’ll all be under the family.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
If we're talking the 2+2 Fastback/convertible, I'd only want to see all wheel drive on a hybrid version. A Coyote V8 powering the rear wheels, with electric motors powering the front.

This hybrid should be sold alongside the traditional V8 & Ecoboost RWD Mustangs.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If we're talking the 2+2 Fastback/convertible, I'd only want to see all wheel drive on a hybrid version. A Coyote V8 powering the rear wheels, with electric motors powering the front.

This hybrid should be sold alongside the traditional V8 & Ecoboost RWD Mustangs.
That’s what I’d expect, and I remember seeing a patent for just such a beast.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Ok, ford is doing it, in some fashion but that doesn't answer my questions as to YOUR opinion of it

Do you think Mustang will need to become an all wheel drive vehicle?

Do you think it is still a Mustang or should Ford make a separate nameplate for an AWD car?

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Half the fun of the Mustang (or any pony car) is needing to have the skill to control the rear in the curves. I think if people want AWD for better traction and lap times, they don’t necessarily want a Mustang, they want whatever brand gets them the lowest numbers. If you’re a hardcore Mustang person you accept that there are traction limitations that won’t let you compete with AWD performance vehicles. No different than not being upset because the Mustang couldn’t compete with WRX’s in rally events.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Yes, an all wheel drive hybrid Mustang would still be a Mustang in my opinion, and I'd welcome it.

However, as I indicated, I wouldn't want all Mustangs to become AWD.......it just needs to be an option in the lineup.

Oh, and Ford were thinking along these lines way back in '65 :)

https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/four-wheel-drive-mustang/

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Won't it just be a Mustang PowerBoost just like the F-150? I don't see how it won't be a Mustang just because it's AWD or hybrid. The Mach-E straight up butchered the Mustang name for a crossover.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Don't expect a Coyote Mustang with AWD. It ain't gonna happen. The only AWD Mustang there would be is either a lower trim level like an AWD de-tuned Ecoboost motor or a fully electric Mustang with AWD.

If you look at what the Challenger setup is... They pair AWD with their lowest trim levels that have V6s. The Mustang could do this with the new platform as it allows RWD and AWD.

Sponsored

ValidusTalon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP + FRPP2
AWD in a 2 door coupe built in the Flatrock plant ? Ya, I could see that being a cool evolution (though I agree with others, should be an option) of a Mustang. Perhaps AWD + Electric, in a 2 door coupe built in Flatrock, sure, that could be cool as an option. An SUV built in Mexico called a Mustang ? Nope, it's just awful.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
With the Corvette going over to a different layout, it got me thinking what could be the next incarnation of the Mustang in the future. We all know that being front engine and rear drive has certain limitations and the less powered C8 doing very well against a much more powered GT500.

Do you think Mustang will need to become a all wheel drive vehicle to help it get the power down?

Ford's crack team of accountants and focus group interviewers will decide that in the future.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
An AWD option for a Mustang would be OK. It doesn't change the way a car feels that much, assuming it's done right. It typically adds less than 200 lbs to the weight of the car.