Sponsored

I think I may have cracked the transmission...

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
IMG_2980.jpg
IMG_2991.jpg

This morning, I drove over a rugby-ball-sized rock that was completely hidden in the snow.

After the impact underneath the car, it started making a "whirl" sound, so I pulled over.

When I came to a stop and put the gear in reverse, the car just kept moving forward. Putting it in drive didn't accelerate the car either.

I then looked underneath and saw a bunch of oil just squirting out from where I suspected the transmission to be located.

Nothing popped up in the gauge cluster, no warning lights, and engine oil level and temperature were also fine.

Now the car's at the local Ford dealership waiting for the insurance adjuster to come out before they approve the repair to begin.

Just wildly guessing that the entire transmission is gonzo, how much do you think the replacement might cost?
Sponsored

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Call your insurance companyā€¦I went over a rock the size of a small dog, that fell off a mountain in Washington state (in our brand new Explorer Sport) and USAA covered all but the deductible.

ā€¦total repair was almost 5k šŸ˜

*hint* if the rock was MOVING, itā€™s a comp vs collision claim and may not affect your rates the same.

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
Maybe itā€™s just a line? Keep us updated, good luck!!!

OP
OP
Min Ahn

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
Call your insurance companyā€¦I went over a rock the size of a small dog, that fell off a mountain in Washington state (in our brand new Explorer Sport) and USAA covered all but the deductible.

ā€¦total repair was almost 5k šŸ˜

*hint* if the rock was MOVING, itā€™s a comp vs collision claim and may not affect your rates the same.
I'm with Geico and my deductible is $2500 for both collision and comprehensive.
My guess is that any repair job this serious, especially at the dealership, is gonna cost way over my deductible anyway... ahhh

I told the entire context to my insurance adjuster including the rolling part too because the car in front of me actually picked it up from the pile of snow and happened to roll underneath my car.

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
Have you shopped different rates with lower deductibles? I was surprised how little the rate changed with something like a $500 vs $2500 deductible. I am guessing you have an Auto by the fluid but cannot tell

Sponsored

OP
OP
Min Ahn

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
Have you shopped different rates with lower deductibles? I was surprised how little the rate changed with something like a $500 vs $2500 deductible. I am guessing you have an Auto by the fluid but cannot tell
The rate changed significantly when I changed the deductible but not as much as what I'm ending up paying now because of it lol

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
Always a gambleā€¦..I paid homeowners for 25 years with not a single claim. Lived in a duplex, neighbors roof hit by lightening then burned 85% of her home. The smoke spread to mine, all at the height of Covid and no workers because they got paid more to stay at home. Anyway after 3 months of hotel living a hot water heater connection separated (pvc-copper) and 100s of gallons flooded my 2nd floor. This was most likely caused by the fire heat as the water heater was in a closet not far from the shared wall but the Insurance Company refuted it.

Long Story short 2 claims in 6 months and Travelers refused to renew my policy and now Iā€™m in Insurance Purgatory because Iā€™m a ā€œHIGH RISKā€. Another 5 years of this before Iā€™m not punished by high rates and ā€œsubsidiary companiesā€.

Last edited:

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Always a gambleā€¦..I paid homeowners for 25 years with not a single claim. Lived in a duplex, neighbors roof hit by lightening then burned 85% of her home. The smoke spread to mine, all at the height of Covid and no workers because they got paid more to stay at home. Anyway after 3 months of hotel living a hot water heater connection separated (pvc-copper) and 100s of gallons flooded my 2nd floor. This was most likely caused by the fire heat as the water heater was in a closet not far from the shared wall but the Insurance Company refuted it.

Long Story short 2 claims in 6 months and Travelers refused to renew my policy and now Iā€™m in Insurance Purgatory because Iā€™m a ā€œHIGH RISKā€. Another 5 years of this before Iā€™m not punished by high rates and ā€œsubsidiary companiesā€.
So if you own your home free and clear donā€™t need to purchase homeowners insurance anymore since there is no lender that requires it. Tell

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
So if you own your home free and clear donā€™t need to purchase homeowners insurance anymore since there is no lender that requires it. Tell
If your home catches fire?

If someone gets injured on your property?

Lots of reasons to have home owners insurance.

Sponsored

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Ha, yes. But he went 25 years with no claims! Pretty good!

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ha, yes. But he went 25 years with no claims! Pretty good!
I've never had a home owners claim and mine is paid off, I care more now than i did when I owed on it.

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
Oh Iā€™d have Homeowners regardless of a loan, I carry high coverages on my Auto as well an Umbrella Policy. It just sucks that no claims for 25 and because of 2 claims in 6 months I was dropped. I did nothing to cause the damage, was not even my house that was hit by lightning, and the 2nd claim was likely caused from the first. Itā€™s just ā€œtheir policyā€. My agent said no way I would be denied a renewal, then 4 weeks later I got a letter.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
It just sucks that no claims for 25 and because of 2 claims in 6 months I was dropped.
Yea, years ago I was hit by a drunk driver and my rates went up. I was pissed.

No claims from me get hit by a drunk and I pay the price, not only in injuries but out of pocket as well. I was on my bike and the SOB crossed the center line and hit me head on. Still my rates went up.

Det_Riot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang GT
I'd almost bet it caught the pan and you might skate out without major repairs. The pans on these cars are just composite and are probably the lowest hanging part of the car. if you pulled over right away and didn't run it while it was totally leaked out, your forecast might be pretty tolerable
Sponsored