Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
Base 2016 GT, and I'd like to get an infotainment system, with the ability to add more speakers and watts later on.

I want Android auto, not interested in navigation, I'm expecting what is on my phone (Waze, Google Maps) will display onto the screen. And I'd like it to look stock, or better than stock.

But most of all, I'm not electronically educated. I've replaced some basic single DIN head units and speakers back in the day, and that's it. So hopefully there is something that is relatively plug-n-play. I can remove the dash trim and do basic install, but in reading other threads in this area, there are so many acronyms I'm not familiar with, it's a bit frightening to think about re-wiring everything and hoping some Chinese unit off Amazon will actually work.

I have found a company that offers a complete SYNC 3 system, with dash trim, that is plug and play, for $2K.

https://www.infotainment.com/products/2015-2018-ford-mustang-4-to-8-sync-3-touchscreen-upgrade

My only dislike is that my dash will then have switches that don't work, although I do think it's possible to order a factory center dash console for the 301A cars and use that. If that's the best way to go, then just tell me that. But then I would also want to add the additional (3?) speakers (and amp?) to make my base system into the Premium (non-Shaker) system. I think this would require some new trim pieces, or cutting my existing trim pieces.

If there's something else out there that's easy, looks great, works with the steering wheel buttons, and is plug-and-play, please let me know.

Hell, just let me know anything you think I should know. But please remember, I'm electronically disabled. I'm not going to understand all the acronyms and fancy words most of ya'll use.

And one more question; is the wiring harness in my base GT the same as in a Premium? Is the wiring for the missing speakers there and just not used? Like for the missing speaker in the center of the dash by the windshield, is the wiring there? Can I just buy the speaker and install it?

Please and thank you.
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
What do you mean by switches that won't work on the dash? When you program using Forscan, it makes everything work. My hazards and drive modes all work after the swap.

Read through this thread and everything is in there and comes in a lot cheaper than $2k (I paid under $900 for everything but included waiting for eBay coupons to popup for a lot of the parts).

upload_2018-12-15_9-54-57.png

@5.0_SD did/is doing a much more intricate upgrade so maybe check with him on details because he also got the Premium door panels to fit the extra speakers in. With the money saved from doing the Sync 3 yourself, you can definitely pay for all or part of the other components you're interested in. You can do much better than Premium level sound quality though.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
What do you mean by switches that won't work on the dash? When you program using Forscan, it makes everything work. My hazards and drive modes all work after the swap.

Read through this thread and everything is in there and comes in a lot cheaper than $2k (I paid under $900 for everything but included waiting for eBay coupons to popup for a lot of the parts).

upload_2018-12-15_9-54-57.png

@5.0_SD did/is doing a much more intricate upgrade so maybe check with him on details because he also got the Premium door panels to fit the extra speakers in. With the money saved from doing the Sync 3 yourself, you can definitely pay for all or part of the other components you're interested in. You can do much better than Premium level sound quality though.
Lost me right there......I'm not gonna program anything with anything. I'm truly disabled when it come to this stuff. Need plug-and-play.

By switches, I mean the ones on the Premium center dash kit that comes with the infotainment.com unit. It's a Premium dash kit, not a 301A dash kit, so there are switches for driving modes my car doesn't have.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
If it is truly preprogrammed, the switches will work. I have a base car and did a Sync 3 swap, they all work. The "programming" is really easy as well. You look the a series of xx0x xxxx xxx and change whatever the third digit in your series is for a 0 (or whatever number it is) then hit write and keep doing that. Took me maybe 15-20 minutes and also found some other tweaks to fix minor annoyances like the car honking if you leave it running without the key inside or chimes playing from all speakers instead of just the instrument cluster. It really looks a lot worse than it is, I was hesitant at first as well! @HextallS550 might also be able to help you out with a swap kit (not sure if he can do the preprogramming, but his harnesses are top notch).

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
If it is truly preprogrammed, the switches will work. I have a base car and did a Sync 3 swap, they all work. The "programming" is really easy as well. You look the a series of xx0x xxxx xxx and change whatever the third digit in your series is for a 0 (or whatever number it is) then hit write and keep doing that. Took me maybe 15-20 minutes and also found some other tweaks to fix minor annoyances like the car honking if you leave it running without the key inside or chimes playing from all speakers instead of just the instrument cluster. It really looks a lot worse than it is, I was hesitant at first as well! @HextallS550 might also be able to help you out with a swap kit (not sure if he can do the preprogramming, but his harnesses are top notch).
Thanks for the info. I'll keep reading and googling the words I don't understand.

Foreskin?? WTF?:cwl::cwl:

FWIW, I am surprised at the lack of replacement infotainment options for Mustangs that aren't from China and very questionable, that also require real wiring and lose the use of steering-wheel controls.

But, I guess the demand isn't there to make a good kit. Other than the one from infotainment.com.

Can you answer my question about the wiring harness?

Sponsored

mustank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I ended up with the metra kit, kenwood head unit, JL audio amp, speakers, and sub. I probably made it more difficult than it had to be, and it was still easy at that. It was also my first time ever doing audio. I also wrapped the faceplate with CF vinyl

If you can wait, and are slightly interested in a metra kit, I would wait. Supposedly they are coming out with an updated faceplate that doesn't use the gummy rubber buttons.

View media item 14149

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Can you answer my question about the wiring harness?
Nope! Was ignoring it because I have no clue. I think they might be slightly different because I don't recall seeing anything to just plug in a center speaker under the front panel but it could be tucked away somewhere maybe.

The Chinese units retain general steering wheel controls as well (at least mine did).

eddison

If you aren’t willing to tackle programming a Sync 3 unit, you are better off to pay the premium price for the infotainment solution that comes programmed for you. ~$1000 seems quite the premium to pay for not wanting to follow a few instructions and program yourself.

In fact, you are going to pay a premium for any setup that is fully plug and play, even aftermarket (if you can find one.) Chances are you either need to do the wiring (aftermarket) or the programming (OEM).

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
@NoVaGT get a hold of Hextall, you will get everything you need, including programming. It is the best way bar none.
Sponsored