I built a carport / detailing bay

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Hey folks,

I've been very absent from detailing this year, for good reason...In June, my fiance and I moved in to our first house (from a flat), and in September my daughter was born :) all good fun, but little time for detailing!

One of the many attractions with the house was the back 1/3 of the garden, an area about 10m x 9m (about 32 x 29 feet), which included a garage and ample space for at least 2 cars in it's current configuration. I had my heart set on converting it from before we even got the keys, it was a logistical challenge to find the manpower to get it done, but I did. A nice before & after.

IMG_3383.jpg

IMG_3934.jpg

I note that this is a temporary solution, and not the subject I'd want to discuss - I'm hoping it lasts a couple of winters before it's torn down, a long with the garage, and something more substantial built in it's place. The main goal was to have the Mustang under cover, whilst also providing space to wash the car in my own home - not something I've had ever in life!

Anyway - I'm yet to gather up all my detailing supplies, currently at a family members house, where I've been cleaning the car for the past 3 years. I'm a bit nervous about cleaning on the gravel - part of converting the space included digging up, removing soil and relaying the gravel, before flattening it. It looks 10 x better than it was, but there is soil in there still. It may not be a problem at all, but I'm curious to know id anyone else has experience of washing on gravel?

I did wonder about getting some "detailing ramps", just to lift the wheels a few inches from the floor, or perhaps some waterproof boards to lay under the wheels and then drive on to before washing.

detailing ramp.jpg

Keen to know of any tips & tricks. Very keen to get the first detail in, when I can find the time!
Sponsored

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Nice conversion of your backyard. Apparently you don't have any snow load to be considered, or Florida hurricanes. 🙂 I like how much room you have around your vehicle to work. That would be cool if you had a car lift in that area, but I'm guessing you are like me, making the best of a budget to be able to purchase things for the car....or your new daughter and wife. :wink:

CBETPTA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Have you entertained the idea of placing 4 15x15” pavers under each wheel? Just spitballing

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
..not something I've had ever in life!
Wow! I guess that emphasizes the contrast between the UK and the US when it comes to property sizes.

Carport looks most excellent, Kristian, and a heck of a job on the construction.

Have you entertained the idea of placing 4 15x15” pavers under each wheel?
This sounds even better than ramps as you wouldn't have to put them down each time you want to give yours a bath.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Nice work Kristian! That's a great space you have there. For our American friends here, space like that is very uncommon in the UK as builders try to squeeze houses as close as possible to maximize their profits. The downside of a (relatively) small island!

My only fear of using paving slabs would be the tendency for them to "kick up" as you drive over them. To a similar degree, even the race ramps are likely to be unstable on the gravel.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
but I'm guessing you are like me, making the best of a budget to be able to purchase things for the car....or your new daughter and wife. :wink:
Spot on! I didn't really have any money to spend, and was surprised how much the corrugated roofing was! I pleaded my case with the missus and she reluctantly approved :) she's very understanding to be fair, I've got a baby girl and a Mustang so I feel pretty lucky!

Have you entertained the idea of placing 4 15x15” pavers under each wheel? Just spitballing
I have, and that is still a good option. i did however like the idea of something that I can remove when I'm just parking there or move around depending on what car I'm washing.

Wow! I guess that emphasizes the contrast between the UK and the US when it comes to property sizes.

Carport looks most excellent, Kristian, and a heck of a job on the construction.
Thank you mate :) I am really chuffed with it. I know it doesn't look like much, but it is a dream come true.

As @Twin Turbo says the average house that includes a garage rarely has enough space to fit a car in it, and rarely will have enough driveway space to wash.

This is my current plan - some of this rubber flooring, attached to some sheet wood, which would give me 4 "pads" to drive on to. Feels like such a faff, but this is what the detailing nerd in me is bringing out. A day to myself will be rare, but I have visions of an all day detail - the car sure needs it!

floor.JPG

Cyberbill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium Gt Convertible
Watch out for Termites..wood and water is like candy to them..
Grandpa Bill

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Very nice setup :) I would just put another layer of gravel down if it were me, water will dissipate into the ground much easier that way. I washed cars in gravel for many years. Only down side is if you have to get down on your hands and knees to clean, it can be a bugger on the old bones. I do like the clear roof, will make it easier to see what you are doing without supplemental light especially in the mornings and evenings.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Honestly, Kristian, I think the suggestion to use big square concrete pavers would be better than covering a piece of plywood. Probably cheaper, too. And, they won't move around like, get ready for it, like the wood would! <chuckling>

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
My preferred for gravel, would be this :

My sister is on those gravel grid things (generic picture so we are talking about the same thing) :

1686737840614.png

They have been down years and they are much better than gravel alone.

I know that she didn't cheap out though, they were quite an expensive type that they put down (and they have been good enough to serve multiple lives - some are now being used as a shed bases etc).

20mm gravel is fine (based on the grids that my sister bought). I have 20mm (Staffordshire pink) in the back garden and that would be ideal.

Pick a round gravel if you are washing a car on it as it doesn't compress as easy as some of the flatter types and it remains 'open' so it will promote fast draining.

Pick a gravel that doesn't dust when moved / run over / compressed if you want to keep some sanity for your detailing lol.

20mm staff pink for an idea on size and shape :

1686738378697.jpeg

That stuff you have down actually looks ideal (more of it in grids) :like:

WD :like:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
My preferred for gravel, would be this :

Might be too late to put those on my Christmas list? :giggle:

I'm hoping I can get my hands on some of these next year, I need 24 sq meters of it, so in the region of ÂŁ200 worth, then some more car wash friendly gravel on top.

I could start with 4-6 under each wheel though, rather than the pavers. Hmm, something to think about!

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
All my kit unpacked and in the "detailing shed" ready for action. More organisation needed, and top ups of a few products, but I'll be ready for action as soon as the temperature is right!

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
I'm nowhere near what anyone would call a budding detailer (don't have the patience for it) but darn it, this is super cool!

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
All my kit unpacked and in the "detailing shed" ready for action. More organisation needed, and top ups of a few products, but I'll be ready for action as soon as the temperature is right!
An Adam's fan it would seem! :like:
Sponsored