Sponsored

Hum noise at exactly 65mph

2016Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hey guys just picked up my new ecoboost mustang a few days ago and noticed a really strange humming noise at exactly 65mph on any road surface . Certain it's coming from the front of the vehicle so I know it's not exhaust drone and it's very noticeable at that speed. It happens on any road surface so I know it's not the road and it happens only at 65mph no more no less. I did some research around here but couldn't find anyone with this similar issue . Car only has 150 miles on , any input would be appreciated . Thanks
Sponsored

Comporange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium in Competition Orange
If it's happening consistently, have the dealer check it out. Shouldn't be hard to show the techs what you hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
2016Mustang

2016Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
If it's happening consistently, have the dealer check it out. Shouldn't be hard to show the techs what you hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea it happens consistently , I will be bringing it back to the dealer , wondering if it could be a wheel bearing? , driving around town the cars perfectly fine no noise , once I get to 65 that's when the noise starts , past 65 nothing .... Strange

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Hey guys just picked up my new ecoboost mustang a few days ago and noticed a really strange humming noise at exactly 65mph on any road surface . Certain it's coming from the front of the vehicle so I know it's not exhaust drone and it's very noticeable at that speed. It happens on any road surface so I know it's not the road and it happens only at 65mph no more no less. I did some research around here but couldn't find anyone with this similar issue . Car only has 150 miles on , any input would be appreciated . Thanks
Does it also do it in different gears at 65 mph? And also if you run it up to say 70 mph then put it in neutral and let it coast down, does it also do it at 65 mph?

If you think it might be coming from the front of the car, jack up each front wheel off the ground and rotate them by hand in a very quiet garage to listen for any strange noises when they are rotating. Should only hear maybe the slight dragging of the brake pads. If you hear any kind of clicking/popping then the bearings could be going bad.

Sponsored

Fleeger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 401a Auto 3.31's
Can you tell me more about your car. Is it a Gt with the 20 inch wheels? My car gets a human at 65. Was constant when I first got the car. I always figured it was formed of wind noise coming from the aero wheel curtains from the from bumper.

jdoug

Regular Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
My car gets a human at 65.
I know it's just a typo, but this made me laugh.

Hopefully your noise problem isn't the driveshaft, as noted earlier in this thread- some guys have had difficulty getting it replaced. Luckily I had no problems, and a new driveshaft solved my noise/vibration issue.

OP
OP
2016Mustang

2016Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Does it also do it in different gears at 65 mph? And also if you run it up to say 70 mph then put it in neutral and let it coast down, does it also do it at 65 mph?

If you think it might be coming from the front of the car, jack up each front wheel off the ground and rotate them by hand in a very quiet garage to listen for any strange noises when they are rotating. Should only hear maybe the slight dragging of the brake pads. If you hear any kind of clicking/popping then the bearings could be going bad.
I haven't tried it in different gears but yes it does do it in neutral , I brought it up to 70 dropped it in neutral and as soon as it hit 65 the hum noise started

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't tried it in different gears but yes it does do it in neutral , I brought it up to 70 dropped it in neutral and as soon as it hit 65 the hum noise started
If it does it in neutral, then it's not anything associated with the engine or transmission.

Sponsored
OP
OP
2016Mustang

2016Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Could be wheel bearing, but have them check the drive shaft as well.

This hum could be leading to drive shaft vibrations as its within reported spec speed. 50-70MPH.

See http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15990

Best,
I saw the issues with the driveshaft but I get Absolutly no vibration just the humming sound at that speed so I'm hoping it's not the driveshaft

Can you tell me more about your car. Is it a Gt with the 20 inch wheels? My car gets a human at 65. Was constant when I first got the car. I always figured it was formed of wind noise coming from the aero wheel curtains from the from bumper.
Ecoboost with the pony package , which includes the 19 inch wheels with Pirelli all season tires

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I saw the issues with the driveshaft but I get Absolutly no vibration just the humming sound at that speed so I'm hoping it's not the driveshaft.
If you are just hearing a humming noise, then it's not the drive shaft. It's probably some part of the car going into harmonics and making noise from the air flow.

OP
OP
2016Mustang

2016Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
If you are just hearing a humming noise, then it's not the drive shaft. It's probably some part of the car going into harmonics and making noise from the air flow.
I'm going to try to take it to the dealer ASAP , if it is noise from air flow I deff wanna test drive another mustang to see if the noise is still present then I'll be satisfied but I truly doubt it's normal as the hum noise can be heard even when the radio is on

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Depending on outside air temps, if the temps are at or below 45*, the rubber compound of the Pirellis will exhibit more road noise than normal.

However - a hum as you describe could be the resonance from the driveline. When mine was exhibiting the driveline vibration, not only was there the driveline vibe, but if you kept the speed maintained at 65mph, you could actually hear what sounded like a "hummmmmmmmmm".... If I let the vehicle coast down from 65mph, the vibe and associated "hum" would subside.

I would definitely have your Ford Service Center go for a good lengthy drive with you. Get on a road where you can maintain the speed at which you hear the noise. Also, make sure everything in the car is off (HVAC, radio, etc) so that you can hear it better with the Tech or Service Manager on board. Then let them drive it back so they can experience the same from the driver seat.

OP
OP
2016Mustang

2016Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Depending on outside air temps, if the temps are at or below 45*, the rubber compound of the Pirellis will exhibit more road noise than normal.

However - a hum as you describe could be the resonance from the driveline. When mine was exhibiting the driveline vibration, not only was there the driveline vibe, but if you kept the speed maintained at 65mph, you could actually hear what sounded like a "hummmmmmmmmm".... If I let the vehicle coast down from 65mph, the vibe and associated "hum" would subside.

I would definitely have your Ford Service Center go for a good lengthy drive with you. Get on a road where you can maintain the speed at which you hear the noise. Also, make sure everything in the car is off (HVAC, radio, etc) so that you can hear it better with the Tech or Service Manager on board. Then let them drive it back so they can experience the same from the driver seat.
That's exactly what's happening but without the vibration and yes I deff will be making sure a tech comes along for the ride . He should be able to hear the noise right away as it happens as soon as I hit 65mph and it's quite noticeable , car only has 200 miles on it , I noticed the sound the day after taking deliver of the vehicle
Sponsored