Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
My limited understanding:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity
Viscosity is resistance to flow.

Viscosity changes with temperature!
True.

The problem seems to be that viscosity (as a measured quantity) gets confused with viscosity index and oil "weight".

I suspect that oil temperatures commonly exceed 240°F in summer street/highway driving, almost certainly so if the coolant is running over 200°F. Not an environment I'd ever use 5W20 in (it certainly won't be running as a "20-weight" oil at that temperature, maybe not even as a 15 either).

Norm
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hawk296

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' GT PP
Does anyone have an oil analysis after track days to throw some extra data into the mix?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Hood/Windshield coping, battery cover, and hood gasket removed to vent engine bay rear
How involved was the removal of that? And can you tell if it did anything in terms of heat venting and/or lessening the effect of the hood flutter?

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Does anyone have an oil analysis after track days to throw some extra data into the mix?
Good call.
We need a thread w compression and uoa and max sustain CHT on track and number minutes on track.
What else?

Id start but not sure about next track day as its prolly fall when temps in Texas aint 40000 degrees F....

Which uoa lab? polaris or ?

Might be selling 15 to pickup a 2018 if Whipple has kit day one so...

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
How involved was the removal of that? And can you tell if it did anything in terms of heat venting and/or lessening the effect of the hood flutter?
Did while drinkn w neighbors in garage.
Trick is right tools make it hella easy.
3/8 drive socket set, pieces of 2x2 or 2x4, beer, hammer, plastic clip tools, beer and bottle opener. Some guys like to have two bottle openers on hand but we risked it w only one on hand. It got dropped into AC fresh air intake but we were on last bottle so didnt matter.

Prolly best to have 2 openers on hand...
Sponsored

Last edited: