Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
Technically, we use SAE measurements which are not always the same as Imperial measurements. In fluids, the U.S. gallon is about 1.2 Canadian gallon. In many ways, there are problems with every system. The metric cooking system leaves much to be desired. To convert a metric recipe requires knowing the specific gravity of the ingredients to convert them from a weight to a volume.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The best measurement units are the ones you're familiar with.
At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you have 35 psi or 2.4 bar in your tires. The car feels the same.

OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you have 35 psi or 2.4 bar in your tires. The car feels the same.
That is true, I was just trying to fill in some knowledge gaps on the other side of the pond!

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Anyway, cooking units, since they were brought up, are a mess in any system. One of my hobbies is film photography and darkroom technique. I make my own solutions out of raw chemicals, which I weigh carefully to a tenth of a gram. Any cooking recipe, be it American or Romanian or whatever, makes me cringe. :D

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Anyway, cooking units, since they were brought up, are a mess in any system. One of my hobbies is film photography and darkroom technique. I make my own solutions out of raw chemicals, which I weigh carefully to a tenth of a gram. Any cooking recipe, be it American or Romanian or whatever, makes me cringe. :D
Cooking is fairly simple you just have to understand the proper measurements.

Charlie Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17MY Mustang GT Auto Race Red Custom Pack
@marks - the narrator on the video stated the Mustang power output in HP. I was expecting SI metric, which is in kW, and N-m for torque. For an American, any use of the imperial measurement system on your side of the pond is a friendly act. Or, as a Time magazine reader wrote back in 1975, when we last went through a metric spasm, "The U.S. inched and pounded its way to being the richest country in the world."
I just don’t understand what you’re trying to say

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I have no problem with metric, but IMO 1 mm is too small of an increment for sockets. The people that designed metric hex fasteners weren't thinking. They should have just used even mm increments such as 10, 12, 14, etc.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You just need shorter pedestrians...!
:dunno . . . as long as pedestrians insist on walking in the road without paying attention to the traffic that's supposed to be there, maybe the mandate for head protection should be on the pedestrians (i.e. helmets).

Norm

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I have no problem with metric, but IMO 1 mm is too small of an increment for sockets. The people that designed metric hex fasteners weren't thinking. They should have just used even mm increments such as 10, 12, 14, etc.
That's a fair point, but in reality there aren't that many. I mean, yes, they do exist, but only a few of those sizes are actually used. For instance, in the space of 8-12 mm we use almost exclusively 8, 10 and 12. You'd be hard pressed to find a 9 mm or an 11 mm hex fastener in any appliance, even though they exist in theory. 13, 15 and 17 mm are also popular, but 14 or 16 aren't. I don't think I've ever seen a 14 mm bolt or nut in real life, though I do keep a 14 mm spanner in my toolbox, just in case. The only 16 mm hexagon I've ever seen was in spark plugs.
So it's not as bad as it sounds.

:dunno . . . as long as pedestrians insist on walking in the road without paying attention to the traffic that's supposed to be there, maybe the mandate for head protection should be on the pedestrians (i.e. helmets).
Indeed. A pedestrian on the road should be fair game.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Norm
Im sure you're aware that when it comes to Mustangs and their drivers it's rarely the fault of the pedestrian or the crowd of pedestrians

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That's a fair point, but in reality there aren't that many. I mean, yes, they do exist, but only a few of those sizes are actually used. For instance, in the space of 8-12 mm we use almost exclusively 8, 10 and 12. You'd be hard pressed to find a 9 mm or an 11 mm hex fastener in any appliance, even though they exist in theory. 13, 15 and 17 mm are also popular, but 14 or 16 aren't. I don't think I've ever seen a 14 mm bolt or nut in real life, though I do keep a 14 mm spanner in my toolbox, just in case. The only 16 mm hexagon I've ever seen was in spark plugs.
So it's not as bad as it sounds.
You must work on different things than I do, because I get the oddballs. Yes the others are more common, but there still are the oddballs. And it's easy to tell a 7/16 from a 1/2 just by looking at the fastener, but not so much 12 vs. 13. I'm saying that if a person were thinking, they would have just left those out, like the smarter people who came up with the English system decided to only go down to 1/16" increments. Metric would be great if there were only every other mm size in wrenches and fasteners. I'm not saying common/uncommon - I'm saying don't make ANY of the others and the standard wrench sets should not have them either.

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
I have to wonder if a SN-95 sized Mustang would be more popular in Europe and the U.K. The same engines and a few hundred pounds lower weight would be a kick on some of the roads.

OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Mustang is very popular in UK and Europe because of its unique size and presence. We have plenty of small lightweight boring coupes
Sponsored