How we see the Mustang in the UK compared to US

OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Oh Bloody Hell... Ford, please send our friends across the pond a bunch of right-hand drive Shelby GT350's.
They gave us Monty Python... it's the LEAST we can do...!!!!
Ive been asking this question for years! Apparently it's to do with emission standards that we can't get the 350 but yet the new Corvette C8 with its 6.2 V8 is coming in right hand drive. Go figure
Sponsored

CaptainSensible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang V8 GT Coupe
That's my car he reviewed in the video. Glad you enjoyed the review, I thought it was pretty balanced.

I do agree red taillights look better, might get round to tinting mine at some point. But overall I'm going for a monochrome look so clear lights fits well with that.

OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do agree red taillights look better, might get round to tinting mine at some point. But overall I'm going for a monochrome look so clear lights fits well with that.
I just turn my headlights on which makes the rear tailights red and also turns off the naff looking DRLs !

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
That doesn't explain why all of the European Mustangs, including those with the steering wheel on the correct side, are lower in power than their American brethren.
I think it's more likely related to our stricter emissions regulations.
The explanation I read related to the S550 was the exhaust manifold on the right hand side of the car on right hand drive cars is different causing a lower HP rating.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
The power spec was stated in HP, not kilowatts. That oughta tell you all you need to know.

Jolly good show!

Sponsored

5.2 L V8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray Shelby GT350
In regards to the UK not getting 350's, I heard that one major reason has to do with the hood. As we know the Shelby GT350 Aluminum hood is literally shrunk around the motor. It sits much lower and has just millimeters clearance from the top of the engine. The GT however has a much higher hood, literally inches clearance which would qualify it for the european pedestrian collision standards. Maybe someone can elaborate.

OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In regards to the UK not getting 350's, I heard that one major reason has to do with the hood. As we know the Shelby GT350 Aluminum hood is literally shrunk around the motor. It sits much lower and has just millimeters clearance from the top of the engine. The GT however has a much higher hood, literally inches clearance which would qualify it for the european pedestrian collision standards. Maybe someone can elaborate.
It's to do with how a pedestrian head may hit the bonnet, so if it sits just above engine may not provide enough protection. There was an issue about the bonnet vents because of this and so we don't get them.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The '18s get the hood vents, as well as several other things the pre-facelift car didn't get......decent tri-bar DRLs for one!

With regards the hoods and pedestrian impact tests.........."our" S550s got active hoods that deploy in a front end collision. It will lift up from the windscreen cowl and will protect any pedestrian's head from hitting any hard points. Obviously, the GT350 would need this if it were to be sold here.......but as it's about to end production, its a moot point :)

OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The '18s get the hood vents, as well as several other things the pre-facelift car didn't get......decent tri-bar DRLs for one!
Yes, apparently it was because the drowsy front-end of the 18 scared pedestrians away so the vents were allowed :)

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
That's my car he reviewed in the video. Glad you enjoyed the review, I thought it was pretty balanced.

Nice car ! Not only that but US taillights have sequential turn signals which is really cool.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
It's to do with how a pedestrian head may hit the bonnet, so if it sits just above engine may not provide enough protection. There was an issue about the bonnet vents because of this and so we don't get them.
And we don't get the strut tower brace for the same reason.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
In regards to the UK not getting 350's, I heard that one major reason has to do with the hood... It sits much lower... The GT however has a much higher hood, literally inches clearance which would qualify it for the european pedestrian collision standards. Maybe someone can elaborate.
You just need shorter pedestrians...!

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
@marks - the narrator on the video stated the Mustang power output in HP. I was expecting SI metric, which is in kW, and N-m for torque. For an American, any use of the imperial measurement system on your side of the pond is a friendly act. Or, as a Time magazine reader wrote back in 1975, when we last went through a metric spasm, "The U.S. inched and pounded its way to being the richest country in the world."

OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@marks - the narrator on the video stated the Mustang power output in HP. I was expecting SI metric, which is in kW, and N-m for torque. For an American, any use of the imperial measurement system on your side of the pond is a friendly act. Or, as a Time magazine reader wrote back in 1975, when we last went through a metric spasm, "The U.S. inched and pounded its way to being the richest country in the world."
Erm we use HP and MPH in the UK. You realise the British invented the imperial system??
Sponsored