Sponsored

How to Track my GT350?

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I just purchased a 2017 GT350 with the specific purpose of using it on the road and the track. The thing is, I'm completely new to tracking a car and I want to learn everything I can about it and the process of going from never doing it before to being comfortable on the track.

I've seen a lot of people on here mention that they track their car on posts.I thought I would start this thread so that people like me can learn from those of you who have already been through this process and know how to properly and safely track a car.

1. What do i need to do in preparation?
2. Are there any driver classes that you recommend (or are these just a waste of money?)
3. Do I need to modify the car?
4. Is there any sort of license that is required?
5. Approximately how much does it cost?

I bet there are questions that i don't even know I have to ask yet. If you don't mind taking a little time and responding to this thread with how you got your car on the track the very first time and give us any advice you have, it would be much appreciated.
I only read through a few replies so some of this may be a repeat of what was already said but I'll put in my $.02.

1. Watch videos and learn the track. It's not a bad idea to pick up some books to learn the fundamentals (speed secrets, driving faster, etc). Also, you'll need to go through the car and make sure everything is in good shape (torqued). Bring a torque wrench and between sessions (after your wheels have cooled), verify your wheels are torqued. You'll want a tire pressure gauge as well.

2. There are tons of organizations that help with this, and I would absolutely recommend taking advantage of instructors. They will teach you more in a weekend than you could learn on your own in a month. I really like NASA.

3. These cars are pretty well set up from the get go. The only thing I would do for your first event is brake fluid and an oil change. For brake fluid, I use ATE type 200, and replace it every 3 (track) days to be safe. I've never boiled fresh fluid but I have boiled older fluid and cheaper stuff. If you get into this more and more, buy a mitivac to help with brake fluid flushes. Other than that, the car is ready assuming the tires are in good shape.

4. Not yet.

5. I figure $800 per weekend at my local tracks. We don't have big name tracks out here so it's pretty inexpensive. $400 or so for a 2 day event, and about $200 per day worth of wear and fuel. This can change drastically depending on what tires you run, fuel, brakes, etc.

haha, I figured someone would say that. I think I'm financially prepared for this; I'm budgeting around 20k a year.
That will be enough to get some really good seat time.

Depending on the event, you could spend up to 5k for each one. 3 day registration $1300, insurance $500, tires (cup 2s) $2000, consumables (fluids, pads, filters, etc) $800 If doing yourself, trakk tape $100, misc repairs $who knows, etc
This is an example of costs varying dramatically. I wouldn't suggest you go straight to cups. They wear very quickly and while they are very fast, a slower tire will be better for you when starting out. The stock super sports will last for a very long time. Most likely you'll heat cycle them before they wear out.

Also, everyone needs to go check to see if Hagerty offers insurance for your local tracks. They don't have anything in CO yet, which bums me out. But my car for a 3 day weekend in Topeka, with a $45k valuation is $260..
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Lots of good info. Adding some more:

Stay with street tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sports or the like) until you're able to run in the advanced group and keep up (or pass) the majority of the field. Trust me, you'll be better off running streets while you progress - they're cheaper, more durable, and make you a better driver.

Once you get going, if you really start to love it and want to stick with it, BUY SAFETY GEAR. This means a good helmet, a HANS device (or Simpson Hybrid if you run a standard seat and seat belt), and gloves (make getting out of the car easier if it's on fire). I also HIGHLY recommend a Watson roll bar and racing seat with a halo - these cars are fast and a broken neck will really ruin a good day of performance driving.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Buy track insurance. If someone hits you or you hit someone or something, you are responsible for your own car.
I always get flack for going against the grain here, but I'd like to point (2) things:

1. A lot of the most reckless drivers I see on track are the ones driving insured cars
  2. If you run enough track events, the math might be as favorable as you'd think (you'd be able to repair/buy the car for the amount you'll spend in insurance + deductible)

Now, I am NOT saying to skip insurance. Nor am I saying that only the crazies buy track insurance. But I have noticed that track insurance does give SOME folks a "mental safety net," so they push harder and drive more reckless. I've found that I drive far more conservatively (intelligently) when I am fully on my own dime.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Make it 3 of us for NASA being one of the best organizations for learning.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I'd get caster camber plates. tire life alone is worth it for me, but disclaimer I don't have experience with the gt350 yet..... just other cars and cc plates or whatever it takes to get the tire to wear evenly is good for both performance and your wallet long term.

Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
As others have said the insurance protects not just against you making a mistake but also covers your car if someone does something like what’s shown in my vid. This was with an advanced group so even experienced people make mistakes.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I always get flack for going against the grain here, but I'd like to point (2) things:

1. A lot of the most reckless drivers I see on track are the ones driving insured cars
  2. If you run enough track events, the math might be as favorable as you'd think (you'd be able to repair/buy the car for the amount you'll spend in insurance + deductible)

Now, I am NOT saying to skip insurance. Nor am I saying that only the crazies buy track insurance. But I have noticed that track insurance does give SOME folks a "mental safety net," so they push harder and drive more reckless. I've found that I drive far more conservatively (intelligently) when I am fully on my own dime.
I agree. I'm "new" to tracking but long time autoxer and did at least 14 track days last year... same or more planned for '19 so to me the insurance isn't a bargain at all.... I also have built cars from a bare frame though so everybody has their own acceptable risk levels!

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
As to insurance, I think it depends what level of risk you are willing to accept:
What kind of events are you driving in? An organization with a good safety record (another good question to ask: How many incidents has the organization had in their HPDE program?), or open lapping days? Or are you doing time trials where you are driving 9 or 10/10ths?
Do the tracks you drive on have technical high-speed turns and/or walls (Road Atlanta, Sonoma, COTA, Road America, Daytona, etc.), or do they have large runoff areas with few or no things to run into?
Can you replace your car and/or not be placed in financial hardship in the event of a total loss?

One thing you learn if you spend any time in motorsports is that you should not be driving anything on a racetrack that you are not prepared to lose. You can do everything right and still have a serious incident. Blown engines, blown tires, fluid/mud on the track, failed brakes, etc. all happen.
Austin, I think if you call Hagerty, they can give you a quote. Lockton and RLI also offer track day insurance.

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
As others have said the insurance protects not just against you making a mistake but also covers your car if someone does something like what’s shown in my vid. This was with an advanced group so even experienced people make mistakes.
Yikes!! Yep, this is why I buy track insurance... Not because of how I drive, but how others drive.

Reminds me of an incident at Putnam Park in Indiana, where I've done most of my track days to date. It had been raining for several days before, and the infield was still very wet, although the track was dry. A car went off track, into the infield, in front of me, just before a sweeping right-hander that leads to the front straight. He didn't want to risk getting stuck in the wet grass, so he just kept going... across the grass... and merging RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME as I'm tracking out at full throttle, heading towards the front straight. Fortunately I was able to feather the throttle and didn't lose the rear end, although I nearly had to change my shorts afterwards. The other guy was asked not to come back for the second day of the HPDE weekend.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Austin, I think if you call Hagerty, they can give you a quote. Lockton and RLI also offer track day insurance.
Hm...

That's interesting. It's written through RLI with Hagerty, but Hagerty says it's not available in CO.

I spoke with the senior manager of specialty lines with Hagerty on the 25th of last month about this.

Sponsored

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Costs for a most track weekends vary by region and track, but usually are between $400 and $1200 (COTA or possibly some of the California tracks) for a full weekend. You also can do single days for reduced cost.
Yikes! Is that how expensive it is midwest and out east? I'm in SoCal and you might get the occasional $300-$400 event registration, but most of the time it's under $200 for a day.

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
Great thread! I recently just began tracking my gt350 with the Porsche guys. Still a total noob, but am addicted and kept signing up for more classes/events. So far I've only had it in Sports mode. Had traction control kick in every now and then....I'm tempted to try track mode yet, but am a little worried that it might be too much for me. Any advice?

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
Track mode is for track. Give it a shot. I just ran Laguna in Track mode and it works very well.

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
For a sanctioned 2-3 day weekend event with NASA, SCCA, BMW Club, or PCA, that's what you can expect as far as cost. But that means the organization rents out the whole track for the weekend and you have dedicated and experienced instructors. With NASA, you also get $1 million of medical insurance in the event of injury.
You can do single day open lapping at our local tracks for $150-$200, but open lapping days are like a box of chocolates at best and a complete sheet show at worst. As I mentioned before, it will depend on your acceptable level of risk, as well as your budget.

Yikes! Is that how expensive it is midwest and out east? I'm in SoCal and you might get the occasional $300-$400 event registration, but most of the time it's under $200 for a day.

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
A few years ago I was doing an open lapping day at Pueblo Motorsports Park with a friend. I should have known something was amiss when I asked which flag stations were manned prior to my first session and the track facilitator said only two. We were in the middle of a high-speed turn under full load (turn 6a/6b for those in the know) when we saw a car on the track in front of us coming in the opposite direction. Fortunately, we were able to avoid a head-on collision at high speed, but apparently the kid manning the flag station at the track entrance (which crosses the track surface) decided to use the bathroom during a hot lapping session. The car drove in off the street onto the track surface in the wrong direction. What is worse, there is a gate to block cars from entering the track, but he didn't close it when he left the flag station. Fortunately, PMP is under new ownership/management.
Sponsored