How to Track my GT350?

SpeedRacer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eran
Vehicle(s)
GT350, M3, Raptor
I just purchased a 2017 GT350 with the specific purpose of using it on the road and the track. The thing is, I'm completely new to tracking a car and I want to learn everything I can about it and the process of going from never doing it before to being comfortable on the track.

I've seen a lot of people on here mention that they track their car on posts.I thought I would start this thread so that people like me can learn from those of you who have already been through this process and know how to properly and safely track a car.

1. What do i need to do in preparation?
2. Are there any driver classes that you recommend (or are these just a waste of money?)
3. Do I need to modify the car?
4. Is there any sort of license that is required?
5. Approximately how much does it cost?

I bet there are questions that i don't even know I have to ask yet. If you don't mind taking a little time and responding to this thread with how you got your car on the track the very first time and give us any advice you have, it would be much appreciated.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: pjk

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Welcome to one of the works most expensive hobbies.

It's a shame you didn't buy new, because you would have been able to attend the GT350 track attack. Probably one of the best intro to track driving there is.

Find a track you would like to start with. Usually, motorsportsreg.com or hooked on driving is a great place to sign up. Many clubs have instructors that give you the fundamentals and basics along with instruction. When you are ready, your instructor will sign you off to be a solo driver.

Car prep depends on what you are looking to do. Obviously, your car has to be in excellent mechanical condition. Brakes, tires, all systems, etc. Swap out your brake fluid to a high boil point fluid like Castrol SRF. I wouldn't go overboard with mods, I'd focus on fundamentals. The good news is that the 350 is a very track focused car to begin with.

Buy track insurance. If someone hits you or you hit someone or something, you are responsible for your own car.

You need a Snell approved helmet with a specification that is as good or better than what the sponsoring club or event requires.

If you would like some kind of professional instruction, you might want to look into some kind of arrive and drive. Have a look at the Ford Performance Racing School.

Last edited:
OP
OP

SpeedRacer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eran
Vehicle(s)
GT350, M3, Raptor
Welcome to one of the works most expensive hobbies
haha, I figured someone would say that. I think I'm financially prepared for this; I'm budgeting around 20k a year.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
haha, I figured someone would say that. I think I'm financially prepared for this; I'm budgeting around 20k a year.
Depending on the event, you could spend up to 5k for each one. 3 day registration $1300, insurance $500, tires (cup 2s) $2000, consumables (fluids, pads, filters, etc) $800 If doing yourself, trakk tape $100, misc repairs $who knows, etc

OP
OP

SpeedRacer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eran
Vehicle(s)
GT350, M3, Raptor
I was actually just on motorsportreg.com and I found a couple local driver education courses; I think i'm going to sign up. They say they are focused on getting you comfortable with the track and the rules...a 101 training kind of thing.

Track Insurance was something I didn't even think of. Thanks, man!

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I was actually just on motorsportreg.com and I found a couple local driver education courses; I think i'm going to sign up. They say they are focused on getting you comfortable with the track and the rules...a 101 training kind of thing.

Track Insurance was something I didn't even think of. Thanks, man!
Most run groups have instructors that will help a guy like you out. If you feel the need to spend the extra money, go for it. I've heard good and bad about the kind of training you are looking at. I would seriously look at http://fordperformanceracingschool.com/en/programs/1-day-school.html

They are a class act. And best of all, it's arrive and drive.

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
Depending on the event, you could spend up to 5k for each one. 3 day registration $1300, insurance $500, tires (cup 2s) $2000, consumables (fluids, pads, filters, etc) $800 If doing yourself, trakk tape $100, misc repairs $who knows, etc
For someone new to HPDE's (High Performance Driver Education events), here is what I'd plan to budget:

- Cost of registration: I'd start with a 2-day event, which in the Midwest seems to run between $500 and $700. That will give you one-on-one instruction in the Beginner group, and if your instructor is confident in your progress, you should get your solo sticker for at least part of the second day, if not the whole day.

- Car inspection and preparation prior to the track day: Your 2017 GT350 is track-ready and incredibly capable, bone stock. You don't need any mods, trust me (even the stock brake pads will be fine). However, budget $200 to $300 for a track inspection, oil change, and brake fluid flush the week prior to the event. Please don't skip this step. It's no fun sitting out a session while you try to find a fix to a leaking oil pressure sensor (ask me how I know...).

- HPDE insurance: I pay $325 through Lockton for a weekend. Like Tomster said, it's a bad idea to skip this expense. You can control what YOU do in your car, but you can't control how the others around you drive.

- Your stock tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sports) will be fine for a two-day beginner event. Just make sure you have plenty of tread at the beginning of the weekend. (This will be part of the track inspection.) If there is any question, replace them at least a week prior to the event and get the new tires broken in with a couple hundred miles of driving first.

- Most groups will let you rent a helmet if you don't want to invest the money in a helmet right away.

- Also like Tomster said, I recommend Trakk Tape. $100 will get you a big enough roll for a couple weekends at least.

All in all, that's roughly $1,100 to $1,500 for your first event, depending on whether you need new tires or not. The experience, though, is priceless. It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

pjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WW 50th Anniv LE, '68 Merc Cougar, '17 GT350R
For someone new to HPDE's (High Performance Driver Education events), here is what I'd plan to budget:

- Cost of registration: I'd start with a 2-day event, which in the Midwest seems to run between $500 and $700. That will give you one-on-one instruction in the Beginner group, and if your instructor is confident in your progress, you should get your solo sticker for at least part of the second day, if not the whole day.

- Car inspection and preparation prior to the track day: Your 2017 GT350 is track-ready and incredibly capable, bone stock. You don't need any mods, trust me (even the stock brake pads will be fine). However, budget $200 to $300 for a track inspection, oil change, and brake fluid flush the week prior to the event. Please don't skip this step. It's no fun sitting out a session while you try to find a fix to a leaking oil pressure sensor (ask me how I know...).

- HPDE insurance: I pay $325 through Lockton for a weekend. Like Tomster said, it's a bad idea to skip this expense. You can control what YOU do in your car, but you can't control how the others around you drive.

- Your stock tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sports) will be fine for a two-day beginner event. Just make sure you have plenty of tread at the beginning of the weekend. (This will be part of the track inspection.) If there is any question, replace them at least a week prior to the event and get the new tires broken in with a couple hundred miles of driving first.

- Most groups will let you rent a helmet if you don't want to invest the money in a helmet right away.

- Also like Tomster said, I recommend Trakk Tape. $100 will get you a big enough roll for a couple weekends at least.

All in all, that's roughly $1,100 to $1,500 for your first event, depending on whether you need new tires or not. The experience, though, is priceless. It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!
This thread is great. Exactly the information I was seeking as well. Another question, I my car has a full xPel wrap is there any additional protection advised for a track day? I'm guessing adding Trak Tape and trying to remove might be a bad idea (especially removal). I'm envisioning trying to get rubber/tar off the xPel might be challenging. Any recommendations on whether or not to do anything?

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
Eran,
Welcome to the family!
The best money you can spend as a novice driver is on coaching. The GT350 is one of the few productioncars that you can buy that can be tracked without initial modifications.
National Auto Sport Association (NASA) has a chapter in the northeast and in Ohio that runs events at Watkins Glen, Mid-Ohio, Pittsburg International, and others. Their HPDE program's sole purpose is to coach beginning drivers in a safe and controlled environment, as you are required to have an in-car instructor. Also, they rent out the whole track for the weekend, so everyone is required to adhere to the safety regs, though I've found some regions don't enforce them as stringently. Generally, the instructor quality is good, but may be inconsistent between track days and regions. Porsche Club and BMW Club also have good instructors. I've heard good things about Chin Motorsports and Hooked on Driving, but ymmv.
You can also hire a private coach, but this will be more expensive.
Ask your instructor about his or her background, including if they are a member of the Motor Sport Safety Foundation, and which level of certification they have achieved. If you have an instructor that you don't feel comfortable with, ask for another.
Check your ego at the door and focus on developing your situational awareness and the safety regs instead of lap times. The speed will come with good instruction and track time.
As you progress and feel comfortable with the fundamentals, consider some type of track telemetry. The Aim Solo brand is widely regarded as the best for the money, but it is pricey. You may need a coach to translate the data into what you need to do on track.
I wouldn't recommend open lapping days until you get significant seat time.
Costs for a most track weekends vary by region and track, but usually are between $400 and $1200 (COTA or possibly some of the California tracks) for a full weekend. You also can do single days for reduced cost.
Unfortunately, the GT350 is a heavy car, so consumables such as tires, brake pads, and rotors will be expensive-budget accordingly.
The only mods that come to mind are camber plates, and possibly a squared aftermarket wheel setup that you can rotate, as that will increase longevity of your tires.
Finally, consider subscribing to Ross Bentley's weekly Speed Secrets newsletter. It has great tips for all levels of drivers. And feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.
Full disclosure: I instruct for NASA and Porsche Club.

http://nasane.com/

http://nasagreatlakes.com/

https://speedsecrets.com/

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a28641/heres-what-every-trackday-newbie-should-know/

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a31603/drivers-ed-track-teachers/

https://www.motorsport-safety.org/

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motors...safety-foundations-driving-instructor-school/

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This thread is great. Exactly the information I was seeking as well. Another question, I my car has a full xPel wrap is there any additional protection advised for a track day? I'm guessing adding Trak Tape and trying to remove might be a bad idea (especially removal). I'm envisioning trying to get rubber/tar off the xPel might be challenging. Any recommendations on whether or not to do anything?
TrakkTape works great over xPel (or in my case SunTek). No problem at all removing it.

Sponsored

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Somewhat off topic, but what does track insurance cover? If you total your car are you made whole? Do you choose the amount of insurance?

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Somewhat off topic, but what does track insurance cover? If you total your car are you made whole? Do you choose the amount of insurance?
You state the value of the car and the deductible you want when you request the quote. Naturally, the higher the value you state, and the lower the deductible, the higher your premium will be. The deductible will usually be high enough to discourage the submission of claims for relatively minor damage.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
If I remember right with Lockton it’s a 10% deductible. So $5,000 on $50K policy or close to that.

64Chevy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
1964 Chevy C10, 1998 BMW M3, 2008 Lotus Exige 240S, 2013 911 C4S, 2015 Wrangler Rubicon
I've taught for 15 years (Porsche, Lotus, BMW, and Ferrari clubs, plus Hooked on Driving). Most "club days" will feature 4 different run groups (beginner, intermediate, advanced, and instructor/race). The beginner group normally starts with a "talk chalk" about contact patches, apexes, appropriate braking, control inputs, flags, corner workers, etc. Sometimes, on your first session the instructor will drive the first few laps to show you "the line". Always, you will have instructor in your passenger seat, usually for the entire day (which is often 4 sessions). Typically, no passing is allowed. These groups are always VERY SLOW but also it feels very safe and very comfortable. The advantage of this setup is that you have 90 minutes or more between your time on the track--which gives you time to decompress, learn, etc.

You will want 1) a torque wrench (though most groups will check your lug nut torque at the beginning of the day), 2) a good tire pressure gauge (for multiple reasons, including as you begin driving harder your tires heat up more, and you need to go out on track with lower and lower tire pressures, and you can also adjust little handing quirks by varying front to back pressure), and then 3) personal stuff (sunscreen, hat, water, snacks, etc.). Many people have a compressor or other compressed air source to "air their tires back up" at the end of the day for the drive home. A non-contact infrared pyrometer is useful for evaluating brake disk temp, and with some of those you can plug in a tire probe to measure tread temps across the surface of the tire carcass.

You'll for sure want a helmet sock (a very thin head hood--insulates your head from rental helmet grossness, and helps lessen sweat transfer to your own helmet). Realize that not all groups rent helmets--you'll need to check.

As you get faster (if you like it) and if you want to keep getting faster the sky becomes the limit (brake bleeding equipment to take to the track, another set of wheels with slicks, better brake pads, etc.). Then you'll need better restraints gloves, maybe a HANS, etc.

Have fun.

hp1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
good info here, should be a stickie
Sponsored