Sponsored

How to take a Picture of a car...

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Incredible to see so many pics, but so many non-standard photos.

A little help.

First & foremost if you have access to a car and are taking pictures, the profile shot is the quintessential shot.. odd that in all these photo threads you can find a single real profile shot.

Taken from approx. 20' back, and the lens has to be slightly below the roofline... (sun to your back)... shoot away..

As, if you yourself were sitting in a car and took a profile of another.. Would be nice to see profile shots of each color, so we can have a library to share on other sites, etc.

Just sayin...
Sponsored

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
I strongly disagree with keeping the lens slightly below the roofline. While it can make for an interesting shot, it is WAY overused. If I want to see what a car looks like, the shots I want to see the most of are from the same angle as if I were standing there looking at it in person.

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
Incredible to see so many pics, but so many non-standard photos.

A little help.

First & foremost if you have access to a car and are taking pictures, the profile shot is the quintessential shot.. odd that in all these photo threads you can find a single real profile shot.

Taken from approx. 20' back, and the lens has to be slightly below the roofline... (sun to your back)... shoot away..

As, if you yourself were sitting in a car and took a profile of another.. Would be nice to see profile shots of each color, so we can have a library to share on other sites, etc.

Just sayin...
I agree. you can tell more from a shot taken lower than standing. Unfortunately most shots are taken in a crowd so you can't get back without someone being in the way. Really tired of the wide angle close ups they look horrible. Overcast is better than bright sun or partially cloudy. Less reflective crap to mess up the paint. Shooting with a lens in the 50mm to 100mm [35mm relative] range gives a more normal perspective. Wide angles distort making the middle larger and the ends smaller and longer lens foreshorten bringing the back and front closer together.

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
Just say no to overexposures.

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)
Just a few of the 'rules' and tricks I use:

Good pics, but these two drive me nuts. The front wheels should be turned so that the viewer of the photo can see the wheel, not the tire. People do this a lot and it looks goofy.

I read another suggestion once that cars are meant to be on the road, so as a general rule, pics of a car sitting on grass (unless its a car show in a field or something) are off as well.

Sponsored

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I actually hate car photos that use the 'rule of thirds'. You're not filming a motion picture.

I suppose for 'artistic' photos, that works. But, for photos of a car that actually shows details, why not include more car than air in the picture?

Fenderaddict2

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fastmyles.com
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang Boss 302
I actually hate car photos that use the 'rule of thirds'. You're not filming a motion picture.

I suppose for 'artistic' photos, that works. But, for photos of a car that actually shows details, why not include more car than air in the picture?

Too true. The thirds rule is great for a screensaver. But what we want is details and full walk around views right now.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Holy crap a lot of these photos have way too much post-processing crap done to them.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
1) keep the frame level with the horizon.

2) avoid over/under-exposure, otherwise you'll drown out the detailing via lighting or shadows.

3) excessive saturation just makes your car look like a circus clown.

4) avoid HDR like the plague.

5) do NOT use filter effects. Keep that stuff to the kids in elementary school.

6) excessive DoF/blurring does not make your photo look professional. Like everything else, it can be done in moderation, typically with macro shots of specific up close features. If you're taking a full landscape shot, just avoid it.

For great examples, here's a good photographer: http://www.1013mm.com/

Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Personally, I prefer to use my Polaroid instant camera so I don't have to wait for lab processing.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Since many of us use cell phone cameras. What's the best way to get a good picture given the restrictions of the phone's lenses? Which usually means no optical zoom.
Sponsored