zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Ok so I have a question for those of you out there with a bit more knowledgeable then me in electrical... I have a set of speedhut gauges on order to replace the OEM gauges in my vehicle. I want to hook up the gauge lighting to act as close to stock as possible. So I would want them to be on full brightness during the day and then dim to say 50% at night.

This can be done by varying the voltage supplied to the lighting as per speedhut instructions but I want this to be automatic when the interior lights activate. So I would basically need a voltage divider circuit that can be activated by another external voltage source. Does some type of device like this exist?
Sponsored

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
what kind of gauges are the speedhut gauges?

Are they advertised as compatible/OE replacements? If so, the lighting should just work.
They are just universal 52mm gauges. They will work by just wiring them to the interior lighting but then they will not illuminate during the day. I want to retain that functionality.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
So it looks like I might be able to achieve this with a SPDT relay.... Basically during the day it will pull a full 12v for max illumination. When the interior lights turn on I can use that as the signal voltage to switch the relay to using the interior light circuit. This will cause the gauge to dim and should be able to be controlled via the interior dimmer switch.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Are you adding sensors to run those gauges? Just browsing their website I found no indication that any of their gauges are CAN-BUS. It seems they make gauges for custom dashes and analog sensors.

Sponsored

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Are you adding sensors to run those gauges? Just browsing their website I found no indication that any of their gauges are CAN-BUS. It seems they make gauges for custom dashes and analog sensors.
I am going to run new senders that are provided with the gauges.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Received the speedhut oil pressure gauge! Still waiting on my custom boost/vac gauge. It is white backlighting like the OEM gauges but it is more of an off white then the OEM gauges.... So while it is close enough, I would likely have gone with the ice blue to match the other interior lights.... The other good thing is that it is not actually that bright at full illumination so it can be wired to remain on rather then being wired to the interior light circuit! Over all very pleased with the quality and will likely be installing this over the weekend!

PS: Before anyone asks, a forum member snatched up the 350 gauges almost immediately after I mentioned I was considering selling them. So they are no longer available.
IMG_0785.JPG

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Received the speedhut oil pressure gauge! Still waiting on my custom boost/vac gauge. It is white backlighting like the OEM gauges but it is more of an off white then the OEM gauges.... So while it is close enough, I would likely have gone with the ice blue to match the other interior lights.... The other good thing is that it is not actually that bright at full illumination so it can be wired to remain on rather then being wired to the interior light circuit! Over all very pleased with the quality and will likely be installing this over the weekend!
Can't wait to see what you can do with aftermarket gauges. :thumbsup:

As for the GT350 gauges, as expected they work perfectly on GTPPs.
20161026_085917.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
So got the pressure gauge mounted in the dash! I am going to need to create a spacer so that the gauge will match up with the ac vents like factory. The other good news is that my boost gauge shipped! This weekend I will be wiring everything up.
IMG_0787.jpg
IMG_0788.jpg
IMG_0789.jpg
IMG_0792.jpg

ASarsano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium 5.0
Can't wait to see what you can do with aftermarket gauges. :thumbsup:

As for the GT350 gauges, as expected they work perfectly on GTPPs.
What app are u running? I see the screen on ur radio.

Sponsored

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
What app are u running? I see the screen on ur radio.
Its an app on the aftermarket Sintegrate 8" screen upgrade kit for us base folks.

It can't be added to cars with the factory OEM Sync 3 system.

ASarsano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium 5.0
Its an app on the aftermarket Sintegrate 8" screen upgrade kit for us base folks.

It can't be added to cars with the factory OEM Sync 3 system.
Ah got ya thanks

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
So I got the pressure gauge wired up! Unfortunately the boost gauge still has not arrived.

I also made a spacer to bring the speedhut gauge out to where the OEM gauges were. Made the gauge look 10x better in the dash then it was before!
IMG_0801.jpg
IMG_0802.jpg
IMG_0804.jpg
IMG_0796.JPG
IMG_0797.JPG
IMG_0798.jpg

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Where does the sending unit live?
It replaces the OEM sending unit. The oil pressure switch circuit is just grounded to the engine block to read normal when the vehicle is on. The gauge handles the rest.
Sponsored