Sponsored

How to remove a stripped passengers Seat torx bolt.

Die007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2015 Mustang
I have a stubborn torx bolt that will not come out on the passenger seat. I completely stripped the bolt. I tried to remove it with a bolt extractor, but it snapped in half. Any recommendations on how I can remove this bolt?

D8C4506A-C758-4E28-9B5D-19940B4EE920.jpeg
Sponsored

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Go to harbor freight or any tool store and get some left hand drill bits. Most times that will get the bolt to back out as they turn backwards compared to normal bits. Hence "left hand". If not you will already have the hold drilled for an easy out bit to work. Id start with about a 1/8 drill bit size.

Maglin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Take a die grinder to it and slot it straight down. Then use a high torque bit with an impact driver and good hammer to remove it. Replace that fastener once removed of course. If you can't find a high torque bit then a standard flat blade bit will work (don't think people have heard about a high torque fastener in over 50 years). If that fails just drill the head off. Remove the seat and then deal with removal of the rest of that fastener. Or leave it alone and don't worry about it as you'll probably trade the car in in a few years.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
If you can gain access to the bottom of the bolt, put some heat on it to loosen the lock tite. Heat will break the bond of the lock tite and it should come right out.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
+1 for left handed drill bits

Sponsored

OP
OP
Die007

Die007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2015 Mustang
Go to harbor freight or any tool store and get some left hand drill bits. Most times that will get the bolt to back out as they turn backwards compared to normal bits. Hence "left hand". If not you will already have the hold drilled for an easy out bit to work. Id start with about a 1/8 drill bit size.
Arknsawchuck it’s hard to see in the picture but the extractor bit is still stuck inside the bolt. Maybe I can have a nut welded onto to bolt.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I would still just try the left hand drill bits. That way it would be attempting to loosen it as you drill out the bit. You stand a chance of burning your carpet and seat with welding.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Arknsawchuck it’s hard to see in the picture but the extractor bit is still stuck inside the bolt. Maybe I can have a nut welded onto to bolt.
If that is the case, drilling won't work. The extractor bit is hardened tool steel, harder than a drill bit so you will just destroy it and get no where. Try using a magnet to get the tip of the bit out and then you can do whatever to get the bolt out.

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
Put on some safety glasses and gloves. Get a center punch and bust the hardened bit out. Then drill through the bolt.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
@Die007

What you need is a bolt extractor kit like this that is specifically for rounded or stripped out rounded bolt heads (look at the images of tool in link):
https://www.walmart.com/ip/10pcs-Se...Tools-High-Cased-Low-Cased-optional/854551370

That type with that style of inner teeth is the BEST type to use.

It doesn’t have to be from Walmart but it was the only images I could find to demo why it’s best suited for your situation.

1) you have an as designed completely round bolt head
2) your prior tool is lodged into the Torx center

The left hand drill bit will take a while to drill through the busted tool and to try and extract that Torx - that’s if you’re lucky enough to where the drill bit also won’t snap off.

Those Torx bolts are torqued into the body for safety - not only for the seats but also any seat belt. To initially remove most you would need to soak with penetrating fluid or use heat as suggested early on. Trying to remove them “dry” works sometimes, but often the Torx bit being used is either a cheaply and will theist, round itself, break the teeth or just snap and break...

The tool mentioned is specially used to get round head or rounded head bolts out. The interior of the socket has twisted teeth which grab onto the rounded head initially. When you go to extract the bolt. as you are turning it the teeth are gripping more and more - and eventually the bolt is extracted.

That’s the only tool I see working in your situation.

You can’t really use a lot of heat from above or below, because the risk of fire or melting the carpet (and underlayment).

Cutting a slot may work, but again you’ll be there forever.

Those type of rounded head bolt extractors come in SAE and Metric sizes - get both. They are also sold or rented at Advanced Auto, Auto Zone or any other similar parts stores. They can be purchased outright at many other stores (big box like Home Depot, Lowe’s, Walmart etc). It’s a very common but excellent tool set to have on hand.

They do work, as I have both sets and have successfully removed a variety of rounded off or rounded head bolts.

Before using the tool, soak the bolt from above and below with a good penetrating fluid (PB Blaster and Liquid Wrench come to mind). Don’t use WD40, the regular stuff really isn’t a penetrate. Let it soak for a good 15 mins then use the tool.

Use the bit that is not loose but one that may be just right; tap it onto and over the rounded bolt head and go for extraction....

Good luck.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Shawn78600

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
GT350 #K2058
Vehicle Showcase
@Die007

What you need is a bolt extractor kit like this that is specifically for rounded or stripped out rounded bolt heads (look at the images of tool in link):
https://www.walmart.com/ip/10pcs-Se...Tools-High-Cased-Low-Cased-optional/854551370

That type with that style of inner teeth is the BEST type to use.

It doesn’t have to be from Walmart but it was the only images I could find to demo why it’s best suited for your situation.

1) you have an as designed completely round bolt head
2) your prior tool is lodged into the Torx center

The left hand drill bit will take a while to drill through the busted tool and to try and extract that Torx - that’s if you’re lucky enough to where the drill bit also won’t snap off.

Those Torx bolts are torqued into the body for safety - not only for the seats but also any seat belt. To initially remove most you would need to soak with penetrating fluid or use heat as suggested early on. Trying to remove them “dry” works sometimes, but often the Torx bit being used is either a cheaply and will theist, round itself, break the teeth or just snap and break...

The tool mentioned is specially used to get round head or rounded head bolts out. The interior of the socket has twisted teeth which grab onto the rounded head initially. When you go to extract the bolt. as you are turning it the teeth are gripping more and more - and eventually the bolt is extracted.

That’s the only tool I see working in your situation.

You can’t really use a lot of heat from above or below, because the risk of fire or melting the carpet (and underlayment).

Cutting a slot may work, but again you’ll be there forever.

Those type of rounded head bolt extractors come in SAE and Metric sizes - get both. They are also sold or rented at Advanced Auto, Auto Zone or any other similar parts stores. They can be purchased outright at many other stores (big box like Home Depot, Lowe’s, Walmart etc). It’s a very common but excellent tool set to have on hand.

They do work, as I have both sets and have successfully removed a variety of rounded off or rounded head bolts.

Before using the tool, soak the bolt from above and below with a good penetrating fluid (PB Blaster and Liquid Wrench come to mind). Don’t use WD40, the regular stuff really isn’t a penetrate. Let it soak for a good 15 mins then use the tool.

Use the bit that is not loose but one that may be just right; tap it onto and over the rounded bolt head and go for extraction....

Good luck.
I am struggling really bad with my seat stripped bolt , i did order the kit you recommended but the one i ordered from amazon did not have the bigger size bit to fit the seat bolt, then i did a little research and ran into the brand grenwrench available at home depot. Is that something similar to what you meant to say in your post ?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-8-in-...iter-Impact-Extraction-Socket-84776/315229049
If yes then what size of a socket i would need for this seat bolt on the 19 gt350 ?
thanks

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Extractors are dogshit and almost never work. Especially if a bolt is thread locked like that. Just skip to drilling next time lol

abie915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP, '16 EB PP
I had the exact same problem. I couldn’t get an extractor to bite, so I used a cutting tool with a 3” disc and cut the head to pieces. I left a little tang attached to the bolt that I was able to geab with vice grips.

The bolt got super hot as I cut it, and I believe that helped as it came off really with the vice grips.

8D1AF0E8-9D05-49F6-AEFA-F33BFE001E87.jpeg
Sponsored