Sponsored

How to read the temp gauge?

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
For the Gen 2 Mustangs that have an analogue gauge in the cluster, what is it measuring? Water? Coolant? Also, what is the numeric values of the left, middle, and right side?

One of my track days it was 3/4s on the right at the end of the session so I blasted the heat on max and it dropped immediately. I'm wondering if I just screwed up the motor.
Sponsored

glockholiday

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
You didn't hurt anything. It'll throw a check engine light if too hot, then go into a limp mode if stupid hot then I would be worried. Ford C-H or L-H "gauges" have basically been dummy lights with needles for years.

I've run a Scangauge on multiple Fords over the last decade and all are similar to my 2019 GT that when the needle on the dash first gets to its normal position (40-50% of the gauge) the coolant temp is around 130-140. Then the Scangauge will continue to rise to normal operating temps 190-210 around town all day. My 2005 Excursion and 2015 Expedition while towing won't start moving the needle on the dash any higher than it's normal 40-50% until the scangauge is reading in the 240s. So the needle on the dash doesn't even move from the 130s to the 230s actual coolant temp. So I'd say you probably just got into the 230s which is absolutely nothing to worry about. Obviously if you want to frequent the track more often cooling upgrades should be at the top of your list.

glockholiday

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Not sure how well I explained all that. In short, no you didn't hurt anything and Fords analog gauges read either good or not good

Last edited:

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
The more important temp is the Cylinder Head Temp in the center display. The analog gauge is Coolant Temp, but there is no actual coolant temp sensor. The coolant temp is calculated based on cylinder head temp and a number of other factors. Cylinder head temp uses an actual sensor in the head, and the center display will give you a number.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You didn't hurt anything. It'll throw a check engine light if too hot, then go into a limp mode if stupid hot then I would be worried. Ford C-H or L-H "gauges" have basically been dummy lights with needles for years.

I've run a Scangauge on multiple Fords over the last decade and all are similar to my 2019 GT that when the needle on the dash first gets to its normal position (40-50% of the gauge) the coolant temp is around 130-140. Then the Scangauge will continue to rise to normal operating temps 190-210 around town all day. My 2005 Excursion and 2015 Expedition while towing won't start moving the needle on the dash any higher than it's normal 40-50% until the scangauge is reading in the 240s. So the needle on the dash doesn't even move from the 130s to the 230s actual coolant temp. So I'd say you probably just got into the 230s which is absolutely nothing to worry about. Obviously if you want to frequent the track more often cooling upgrades should be at the top of your list.
Thank you for the explanation. This was my first Ford and first time to the track. Been reading a lot of guys liking the Mishimotor radiator. I've been earning some extra cash lately so maybe I'll get a shop to do it. Between work, school, and a one year old I just don't have time anymore.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The more important temp is the Cylinder Head Temp in the center display. The analog gauge is Coolant Temp, but there is no actual coolant temp sensor. The coolant temp is calculated based on cylinder head temp and a number of other factors. Cylinder head temp uses an actual sensor in the head, and the center display will give you a number.
I can't remember the cylinder head temp. I wanna say 255? I doubt it went over 270...

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS - Ruby Red Metallic
I'm pretty sure there is an actual coolant temp sensor, at least according to what I pulled up in Forscan. I'll have to check again to make sure I'm not talking out my arse, but I'm pretty sure that coolant temp is used for different functions as compared to cylinder head temp.

I need to check something with my Sync3 conversion later so I'll try to remember to pull a screenshot of the available sensors.

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
I'm pretty sure there is an actual coolant temp sensor, at least according to what I pulled up in Forscan. I'll have to check again to make sure I'm not talking out my arse, but I'm pretty sure that coolant temp is used for different functions as compared to cylinder head temp.

I need to check something with my Sync3 conversion later so I'll try to remember to pull a screenshot of the available sensors.
There is a PID for it, but what I'm saying is that it is a calculated value based on the CHT. Look in a parts list for a coolant temp sensor, it doesn't exist. For instance, with Forscan, you can probably monitor manifold pressure too, but there is no MAP sensor, it is a calculated value from MAF and a model of the pressure in the intake manifold.
Sponsored