Sponsored

How to fix paint chip

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
My dad is heart broken, a paint chip on the fender by his head light with less than 200 miles on the car (car is getting ppf next week or two). Is this covered under ford protection, or any suggestions on how to repair?
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I would have to say the easiest, is paint pen from ford. I dont have a gt500, but my car had a couple chips and I had real good success, I filled base with a thin layer of paint, then I overfilled the hole with the clear, let it dry, then I simply polished the clear down. made it flush with surrounding paint.

OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I would have to say the easiest, is paint pen from ford. I dont have a gt500, but my car had a couple chips and I had real good success, I filled base with a thin layer of paint, then I overfilled the hole with the clear, let it dry, then I simply polished the clear down. made it flush with surrounding paint.
The pen I had for my last car, I thought it was just a tool to rough the edges down, and then the pain, I don’t recall a clear coat. Or is it a separate one from the ford pen for the clear?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
My paint pen, has 1 side, paint, and other side is a spongy looking container with clear in the reservoir. The bottle looks like a rocket ship. where the white legs are at, is the clear twist off cap. it works quite well.

OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
My paint pen, has 1 side, paint, and other side is a spongy looking container with clear in the reservoir. The bottle looks like a rocket ship. where the white legs are at, is the clear twist off cap. it works quite well.
I just dug our my old one, I never knew the bottom unscrewed...

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
yep, I just overfilled the hole, and a nice streak over the hole/so the clear goes over the sides a little. I have this little spray cleaner, its a cleaner wax and polish in one, anyway once its fully cured, I just sprayed it on my rag and I just polished that area, it removed the excess til it was flush. ive had a few spots, and unless you look for the spots you'd never know.

I dont mean, pour the container on it, but you can remove clear, easier than trying to add more while wet. so I just polish it smooth, vs trying to add more, because you gotta polish it level anyway after everything

I got it down to an art though, takes me like 5 minutes of actual work. let the paint dry before you toss the clear on though!

edited
I use a little alcohol clean the spot, I use like a little needle, just a little and dab the paint into the hole so it covers all the primer, let it dry, then toss clear in. Next day, polish the clear down gently. it'll remove the excess off the surrounding paint at same time. I use microfiber cloth with polish on it. doesn't take much, I just use a cleaner that has some polishing properties in it, does the job.

I typically try to find other paint chips all at same time, run around doing all of them at same time.

OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I’m going to go to the parts department Monday and pick up a pen for him

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 - Track Package - G0628
Read up / YouTube about “Dr. Color Chip” kits too. Good results.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Read up / YouTube about “Dr. Color Chip” kits too. Good results.
Oh tell me G0628 hasn't been subjected to Dr Color chip....

Sponsored
OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Idk if I’m comfortable with dr color chip for something so small. I’m going with the ford pen to fill and re clear over it and polish like above. My PPF guy said his detailer will take care of if we wanted

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
No - my wife’s Acura. But there is the big chip in the leading edge of the hood . . .
Yes, there is a story behind that.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)