How to adjust your parking brake

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
Strange... Were you articulating or moving there levers on the calipers when it popped?
I've moved mine back and forth a bunch in trying to trouble shoot this and didn't notice anything.

Please update us on what the dealer says if you take it.
Mine didn't budge at all from what we could see. I'll absolutely keep you all posted on what the dealer says. I should hopefully hear back sometime tomorrow.
Sponsored

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a spring on the lever under the boot? Or should be if not

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
The problem is with both rear calipers in my case, and I snapped the passenger side cable. All are being replaced to the tune of around $800. Thankfully I saved the original cables, so the original passenger is going back in.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The problem is with both rear calipers in my case, and I snapped the passenger side cable. All are being replaced to the tune of around $800. Thankfully I saved the original cables, so the original passenger is going back in.
Sorry to hear.

What was wrong with both calipers?

Burger2002

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Yeah, thanks for the update.
I'm also very curious to hear if they're able to tell you what was wrong with the calipers.

In my case, I've ruled just about everything else out and just placed an order for new calipers. I'll throw those at it and see what happens.

Sponsored

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
I'll let you all know tomorrow once I've picked the car up.

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
So the sliding portion of the caliper was replaced along with the passenger side cable. I was told that when the brakes were replaced, the pistons weren't correctly replaced. From that, I assume constant use of the parking brake with this in mind led to my issue. My parking brake works like new now too!

SBR70.3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT Premium, 23 Explorer ST, 19 GTI (DD)
Reviving this because…..parking breaks….I love this forum. Last time I took my vehicle to the dealership.

QuickJack’s, a few turns with a 10 mm ratcheting wrench, and 10 minutes later it is fixed. Pic showing the location for the other people who have been getting the “service AdvanceTrac” and other warnings from this poorly designed component.

IMG_1545.jpeg

Last edited:

Van0204

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 bullitt k2633
Looking for advice on my issue with my hand brake. I have a 2019 Bullit and currently the hand brake does not engage I had had at the dealership for some other repairs and while it was there and waiting for repairs I asked them to check the hand brake as it was not engaging. They came back with a quote of $1500 saying that both rear calipers were seized at hand brake. I did not take them up on the repairs as it seemed excessive and the car only has 70000km seems odd that they would seize. When I got the car home I checked and the calipers were not seized they worked fine the brake pads needed to be replaced and noticed that when moving the hand brake there was very little if any movement at the brake its self. When I checked the adjuster it was very loose. The questions I have are I was unable to adjust the cable as the bolt would just wind when I tried to turn the screw and was unable to get any thing in there to hold the bolt still does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get something into that tight location to hold the bolt. And could the calipers be seized at the parking brake section and if so how would the dealership determine that as there was no sign that the had taken off the calipers to verify.

FordMustacheGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
I used a deep socket on a ratchet to turn the parking brake adjustment bolt until it finally "broke free", and then I was able to freely adjust the bolt to take up slack.

I just recently finished rebuilding my rear calipers due to what sounds like a similar issue. In my experience, the parking brake mechanism inside of the caliper itself was seized - there was no actual issue with the parking brake cable adjustment itself. I was able to test this by attempting to cycle the parking brake mechanism on caliper itself. Prior to the rebuild, the parking brake mechanism was significantly bound up and required significant force to move it in either direction.

Rebuilding the caliper ultimately solved this issue for me, but you definitely try to adjust the cable first to see if that solves your issue.
Sponsored