Sponsored

How to adjust your parking brake

jtl_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0 mustang 6 speed
Throwing it out there... Am I the only one who has the exhaust completely blocking this adjuster?
mine x pipe is kinda in the way its a pain in the ass to get my hands in there, did it on race ramps and was able to tighten it up, but have to maneuver around x pipe, i would think it would be even harder with the factory "suitcase" in the way

wasn't fixing to take off my cat back just to tighten a dang bolt
Sponsored

brandonc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic Mustang EcoBoost
Throwing it out there... Am I the only one who has the exhaust completely blocking this adjuster?
Nope. Stock ecoboost resonator (suitcase) in my way and I could not see a damn thing. Was finally able to squeeze my phone into a tight place and got a pic that confirmed it was where I assumed it to be, but couldnā€™t adjust it for the life of me. Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s impossible without dropping the exhaust

samanosuke47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Can confirm the stock suitcase is quite the unit. Just tried to do this with jackstands thinking - right, this will be quick. But uhhh really don't see a way in. Maybe Ill see if Ford can do it. Or dick with it more while I change my oil next time.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
FWIW after I painted my calipers and brackets off the car, the parking brake handle would pull up much higher and even at the top probably wouldn't hold on much of a hill. But I cycled the handle a bunch of times and it kept going lower until it was even lower than before I painted the calipers. It made me think the parking brake could be adjusted that way.

2017GBGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Premium GTPP w/ Recaros
Can confirm the stock suitcase is quite the unit. Just tried to do this with jackstands thinking - right, this will be quick. But uhhh really don't see a way in. Maybe Ill see if Ford can do it. Or dick with it more while I change my oil next time.
I found a way into there in this post, after the Steeda install:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...river-build-thread.126142/page-2#post-2653619
It's a pain, but doable.

FWIW after I painted my calipers and brackets off the car, the parking brake handle would pull up much higher and even at the top probably wouldn't hold on much of a hill. But I cycled the handle a bunch of times and it kept going lower until it was even lower than before I painted the calipers. It made me think the parking brake could be adjusted that way.
Yup, it's somewhat self adjusting, but sometimes the wire loosens up enough that you need to adjust from underneath too.

Sponsored

dirtrider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost (perf pkg, recaro seats)
Pretty easy I'd say. Not as tight as some made it sound. I have the ecoboost with factory exhaust. Just have enough extensions, a swivel, and a very deep 10mm socket.

I drove the rear end up on ramps. Left my manual transmission in gear. Put chocks on the front tires for safety. Then release the emergency brake since it can't be on during adjustment. Make cable tensioner adjustment from the rear of the vehicle since being up on ramps gives enough room to slide underneath.

I had to use my 1/2" drive 10mm deep socket so it was deep enough. My 1/4" drive deep socket did not have enough depth. Then I discovered I didn't have a 10mm 3/8" drive deep socket but I did have the adapter I needed to use the 1/2" drive deep socket.

Have the right tool for the job or use it as an excuse to add to the collection. I wouldn't want to take off the exhaust for this. Don't let it scare you. Even I can do it. Here are some pictures that may help.

IMG_6591.jpg

IMG_6596.jpg

IMG_6599.jpg

IMG_6605.jpg

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Adjusted mine yesterday since I had it up in the air for other work.. My handle would come up causing dash light and chime to come on. The x-pipe gave me room to get up in there with a 10mm ratcheting wrench but cable would turn so used 7mm open end to hold cable while ratcheting it tight.

OrangeCrush5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Has anyone experienced that part touching the exhaust or the floor pan, causing a rattling sound?
I rarely drive my car, the parking brake is loose as hell. Iā€™ve had my car at three different shops trying to diagnose a rattle that no one can find. After seeing thisā€¦ I canā€™t wait to get back under the car tomorrow. I bet this is what, I just took the car back out from winter storage and itā€™s so loose that when I drove it this week I had to keep my arm on the parking brake to keep the brake light off.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I rarely drive my car, the parking brake is loose as hell. Iā€™ve had my car at three different shops trying to diagnose a rattle that no one can find. After seeing thisā€¦ I canā€™t wait to get back under the car tomorrow. I bet this is what, I just took the car back out from winter storage and itā€™s so loose that when I drove it this week I had to keep my arm on the parking brake to keep the brake light off.
Yea, my response is outdated by now. That older response was from when I had my prior 2016 S550 and I did have the the rattle noise which was actually due to loose e-brake cables. They would rap on the trans tunnel at certain RPMs. The fix was completed under warranty at the time.

The fix and images outlined here are definitely able to be done by a DIYEr at home, rather than needing a dealership.

OrangeCrush5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Yea, my response is outdated by now. That older response was from when I had my prior 2016 S550 and I did have the the rattle noise which was actually due to loose e-brake cables. They would rap on the trans tunnel at certain RPMs. The fix was completed under warranty at the time.

The fix and images outlined here are definitely able to be done by a DIYEr at home, rather than needing a dealership.
I did it last night. The noise was gone!!! Iā€™ve been throwing money at the car trying to fix the rattle. I put new sway bar links, new exhaust hangers, I ordered a new set of toe link bearings since the noise started around the time I replaced those. I was starting to get nervous about what to replace next.

Such a small thing created so much headache lol. Thanks again buddy!!!

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I did it last night. The noise was gone!!! Iā€™ve been throwing money at the car trying to fix the rattle. I put new sway bar links, new exhaust hangers, I ordered a new set of toe link bearings since the noise started around the time I replaced those. I was starting to get nervous about what to replace next.

Such a small thing created so much headache lol. Thanks again buddy!!!
Glad to see this thread resolved your rattle! Betcha feels real good know that the annoyance is gone; I know I felt the same when my prior 2016 was fixed.

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
I replaced and readjusted my cables earlier today, and I still can't get my parking brake to even hold the car on the slightest incline. The pads look more than adequate and the handle is nice and tight; maybe a bit too tight for my liking. What else is there I can do before I've gotta have the dealer or a shop have a go at this?

Burger2002

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'm in the same boat as you man.

I just replaced both the right and left parking brake cables AND bled the brakes with a motive power bleeder. There didn't seem to be any air in the lines.
I attempted to adjust the parking brake as described in the thread above, but can't get very far. My passenger side goes to zero gap before the driver side even gets within 1.5mm of the stop.
I've taken the calipers off, checked the pads, checked the rotors, pushed the pistons back in to check for smooth operation... No improvement and nothing seems wrong.
About the only thing I can think to do next would be too replace the calipers, but nothing seems wrong with them.

Any one have any ideas of what to try next?

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
Well my parking brake broke this afternoon, so now itā€™s at the dealer and hopefully theyā€™ll fix my headache for good, even if I wonā€™t like how much itā€™ll cost.
ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

A friend and I were inspecting the lever arms that actuate the pistons via the handbrake earlier and something went POP/SNAP and the handbrake ratchets up and down freely...

Burger2002

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Strange... Were you articulating or moving there levers on the calipers when it popped?
I've moved mine back and forth a bunch in trying to trouble shoot this and didn't notice anything.

Please update us on what the dealer says if you take it.
Sponsored