Sponsored

HOW TO: Add MyFord Touch/Sync 3 to base model S550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I was doing some final wrap-up on the mustang and noticed a few DTC codes from the FCIM after my Base to SYNC 2 upgrade.

Though I suspect that since the vehicle does not have the dual temperature zone, this is the reasoning for the faults.
Without those sensors on-line the faults will show up. No way to write them out with FORScan bc the Premium bezel was never in a car without the dual zone HVAC module.
Sponsored

sv9999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Prem
That eBay connector is NOT correct. The connector is a JST brand I'll dig and see what I find. Thanks! The max a USB carries is 5 volts 400-500mA You're fine with 22 ga lol The wiring is the same.
If there are any numbers on your MFT hub cone can you post those too?
Removed the eBay link. I would try the generic 4-pin myself, but most of them take 4-6 weeks to ship from China. They may not be a direct fit, but I think it could work if you shape the ends or force it a little.

The MFT connector has more info..pic below.
Front orange side: MXN 10 --- PBT-GF30
Back grey side: MXN 7 --- SPS-GF30
mft_connector_id.png

Last edited:

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
No need for generic Chinese connectors. JST are some of the best and probably less than $3-4 per connector. I highly discourage anyone from purchasing those.

sv9999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Prem
For those attempting to add MFT (Sync 2) to their base models, I found an eBay seller with dozens of modules for only $100-200 (click to see their store). Most pics show screen+APIM, but it is worth double checking before you order. I am not affiliated with them in any way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13-14-15-16...ormation-Display-Screen-OEM-LKQ-/311858350152

For those attempting to add Sync 3 to their cars, here is a source providing Nav APIMs. Haven't found a screen yet to make this deal sweeter. Edit: the price was only $400 at the time of posting, but it's gone up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322511261738?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:

Sponsored

mustangmike86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt PP
No need for generic Chinese connectors. JST are some of the best and probably less than $3-4 per connector. I highly discourage anyone from purchasing those.
I was wondering if you would be willing to help out with sourcing some connectors, i am adding the my color ambient light sources like the door sill plates and footwell lighting and im have a bit of a hard time finding the correct connectors for these. I would like to make a harness for my car instead of buying a premium one and installing it or cutting out just what i needed. If you could help out i would greatly appreciate it. I am also sure other people who have done the my color swap would also like to do this possibly

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
[MENTION=29038]mustangmike86[/MENTION] Sure. Do you have the sill plates or the lighting already? If so send me pics of the connectors in a PM or text.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1811217&postcount=1300

Here the instructions to change ABD on Mustang Thanks to Spart
Keep in mind this is 99% working for me, but I think I goofed one of the characters in the ACM. I get no TTS when I try to listen to a text message or hear the name of the track that's playing. When I get some time soon, I'm going to hook up the battery tender in my garage and perfect the as-built changes necessary and update that post (and probably put a new reply here.)

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
When you did your swap did you connect the two wires that are missing from the ACM (6 & 19) to the APIM (51 & 52)? They are labeled as SDARS (SAT) and they carry data. I'm curious if they have any effect on other functions

Sponsored

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
When you did your swap did you connect the two wires that are missing from the ACM (6 & 19) to the APIM (51 & 52)? They are labeled as SDARS (SAT) and they carry data. I'm curious if they have any effect on other functions
I did not. Those pins are listed in Zack's instructions for the MFT swap, but not Sync 3.

In the MFT instructions, he has them notated as "sat traffic services" which I don't care about anyway (I don't have nav.)

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
im very good with electronics and im still confused..lol

makes me almost not wanna attempt this..lol

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
im very good with electronics and im still confused..lol

makes me almost not wanna attempt this..lol
It was pretty easy once I finally got in there and started swapping pins one by one. The hardest part was probably figuring out how to disassemble each connector without breaking anything.

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
It was pretty easy once I finally got in there and started swapping pins one by one. The hardest part was probably figuring out how to disassemble each connector without breaking anything.
its the whole swapping pins that has me all worried....