Sponsored

HOW TO: Add MyFord Touch/Sync 3 to base model S550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I completed the head unit swap, but have 2 issues: the compass and the new usb module. From my understanding I need to disconnect the old GPS module, but I'm not sure where it's located.. is it behind the center dash near the touchscreen, or behind the driver's side instrument cluster?
It's under the center dash panel right above your center vents. It's just chilling up top with a 6 pin connector.

For the USB module, I see many mentions of the WPT1239 connector, but haven't found the wiring spec for MFT-equipped Mustangs.
Are you swapping to MFT or Sync 3? WPT-1239 is for the Sync 3 CarPlay hub
Sponsored

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Which number is the engineering number? This is my Sync 3 APIM, non-nav. Is there any way to see the engineering number in the Sync 3 diagnostic you get when you hold down FF+eject?
I don't think so. It's not a big deal. I have been keeping the numbers I find on the APIM along with ACMs and bezels so that people can reference the numbers if they are at an LKQ or salvage facility.

sv9999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Prem
It's under the center dash panel right above your center vents. It's just chilling up top with a 6 pin connector.

Are you swapping to MFT or Sync 3? WPT-1239 is for the Sync 3 CarPlay hub
Thanks, I'll go back and look for it. Sounds like it'll be a better spot for the new antenna as well.

I should have been more clear, I'm swapping from factory MFT to a Sync 3 unit. My existing hub is a USB/SD/Aux in, with the 8-pin connector (photo). I have the new HU5Z hub which I am looking to rewire.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
OK, HU5Z needs the WPT-1239 pigtail
I am trying to get a dealer that has one in stock to tell me what numbers are on it, I believe it's Tyco, pin out from my notes below
5-9-2017 3-59-39 PM.jpg

hipporo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Koji
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 RubyRed
I have few questions regarding the upgrade from 17 GT base to Sync3. Following are currently I have.
1. Sync3 touch screen/apim (non-nav)
2. Premium bezel
Do I need to buy an ACM from premium? I dont need Sat/HD radio.
ACM = CD/radio unit?
What else do I need for the swap?
TIA!

Sponsored

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
[MENTION=15935]hipporo[/MENTION] Do you need Car Play? You'll need the HU5Z hub if you do. You can keep base ACM, you also need a way to program via FORScan as well as to swap a few pins.

hipporo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Koji
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 RubyRed
[MENTION=15935]hipporo[/MENTION] Do you need Car Play? You'll need the HU5Z hub if you do. You can keep base ACM, you also need a way to program via FORScan as well as to swap a few pins.
My phone is Android, so I dont think I need the hub. But I'm not 100% sure about this...
About ACM programing, will it be easy to do it myself? I read about the programing via FORScan in the other thread... I can buy an ACM for about $200, which matches my Sync3 unit's VIN#.
About the pin swap, I saw it in OP here. I need to cut the wires and swap it? or I need new wires and pins?
Please excuse my ignorant...

sv9999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Prem
[MENTION=15935]hipporo[/MENTION] If you have a '17 base, Android Auto should work fine with the existing USB hub. To add Apple CarPlay requires a $60 hub and no wiring.

The programming Hextall mentioned is for the APIM, not ACM. I'm not sure what is required to DIY, but there are a few guys offering programming for $$$. Here is a DIY thread that will help you get started.

[MENTION=28081]HextallS550[/MENTION] My WPT-1239 just arrived in the mail, so I can provide the info you need. Thanks for the diagram. Edit: It looks like the 2015 Mustang's wiring might match the 2013-2015 Fusions. Perfect!

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
The programming Hextall mentioned is for the APIM, not ACM. I'm not sure what is required to DIY, but there are a few guys offering programming for $$$. Here is a DIY thread that will help you get started.
The programming is for both the ACM and APIM. There are a few lines in the ACM ABD that need to be changed in order to hear sync and have audio during phone calls.

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
[MENTION=15935]hipporo[/MENTION] If you have a '17 base, Android Auto should work fine with the existing USB hub. To add Apple CarPlay requires a $60 hub and no wiring.

[MENTION=28081]HextallS550[/MENTION] My WPT-1239 just arrived in the mail, so I can provide the info you need. Thanks for the diagram. Edit: It looks like the 2015 Mustang's wiring might match the 2013-2015 Fusions. Perfect!
If you're using the HU5Z you only need two wires. Pin 1 on your MFT hub goes to pin 1 (12V) on the HU5Z and pin 8 on the old hub goes to pin 4 on the new hub. Which wiring are you speaking about on the Fusion?

On the pigtail are there any numbers???

Sponsored

mgrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Convertible - V6
FCIM Error Codes

I was doing some final wrap-up on the mustang and noticed a few DTC codes from the FCIM after my Base to SYNC 2 upgrade.

B1A64:15 - Left Solar Sensor

B1A63:15 - Right Solar Sensor

B10B5:15 - Left Panel Air Discharge Temperature

B10B6:15 - Left Floor Air Discharge Temperature

B11E6:14 - Right HVAC Damper Position Sensor

They are not illuminating the malfunction indicator lamp so not the biggest concern, just wondering if anyone that has done the Base to SYNC 2/3 swap has these same error's or recommend what needs to be programmed into the FCIM that would correct these.

Though I suspect that since the vehicle does not have the dual temperature zone, this is the reasoning for the faults.

Last edited:

sv9999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Prem
[MENTION=6944]zackmd1[/MENTION] Thanks for the correction. I hadn't heard about any required ACM programming until now. Is that for base models only, or for premiums (MFT) as well?

[MENTION=28081]HextallS550[/MENTION] The connector reads "1-JST-4". I uploaded 4 pics to an Imgur album for reference. Hope this info can help others can save money in the future.
Edit: I bet this eBay listing would fit the bill...a little less pretty. Only thing that's off is the gauge. Ford's part is 14 AWG. Any electricians want to input how much current USB carries?
Edit 2: removed eBay link as the part may not be a fit.

Last edited:

sv9999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Prem

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
That eBay connector is NOT correct. The connector is a JST brand I'll dig and see what I find. Thanks! The max a USB carries is 5 volts 400-500mA You're fine with 22 ga lol The wiring is the same.
If there are any numbers on your MFT hub cone can you post those too?
Sponsored