Sponsored

How often do you change 6 speed M/T oil? (2018 Mustang GT)

rimchi01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jun
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
How often do you change 6 speed M/T oil? (2018 Mustang GT)
No, Track.. just daily car.. I drive about 12,000 miles/year average.. (25,000 miles so far).

Can you also recommend some inexpensive mission oils?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
At 3 to 4k miles to get any break in metal out of the case. Used the amsoil concoction that calimer recommends. Tried the BG stuff first but had nibbles and rough engagement once hot in the summer heat.

Also did the rear diff at same time.

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, as a daily driver, other than the BG Snychro shift swap a few months back, I probably won’t touch it until about 100k miles, or whenever the service schedule says just to keep in good graces with the warranty/ESP plan I bought...

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You don't. Maybe 50k if you care a lot. Gearboxes are splash lubricated and aren't that fussy because the tolerances aren't that extreme. So unless you gorilla shift the hell out of it all the time, it will be fine.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I'm not sure how relevant this is, but I had a 2011 GT MN6 that was still working great without a lick of trouble when I sold it at 190K+ miles. Never changed the trans fluid. Same with the rear diff - never changed it - never had a problem. And BTW I had 3.73 gears drove like hell all the time.

Sponsored

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I should add that's when I did the first change only. I glossed over the how often part and took it for when did you first change. Dont plan on touching it for any foreseeable future unless it starts giving signs something is off.

Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
For a daily, besides the single flush that you should do early on to clear any break in stuff...you should not have to do any for the life of the car.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
other than the BG Snychro shift swap a few months back
Hey brother, since you have a 2019 with the D4 tranny, would you mind sharing the differences you felt with the old and new fluids? The BG fluid is reportedly thicker than the stock DCT, and besides D4 owners not noticing any improvements now that it's hot, they might have issues in the winter. Just curious what you have to say. I decided to wait until the 2nd oil change at 6K miles (also for the Torsen).

For a daily, besides the single flush that you should do early on to clear any break in stuff...you should not have to do any for the life of the car.
I'll do the early one at 6K miles, but it's so easy and cheap that if I keep the car that long, would do it at 60K again, like I think the maintenance schedule calls for :).

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Not touching it till Ford says to. I have 60 mo/100K Platinum coverage.

me worry.jpg

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Hey brother, since you have a 2019 with the D4 tranny, would you mind sharing the differences you felt with the old and new fluids? The BG fluid is reportedly thicker than the stock DCT, and besides D4 owners not noticing any improvements now that it's hot, they might have issues in the winter. Just curious what you have to say. I decided to wait until the 2nd oil change at 6K miles (also for the Torsen).
:).
Sure... First of all, the difference was not "night and day". It was subtle, very subtle. At the end of the day, I believe it helped with that nibbling notchiness. I did notice that was reduced, and the shifter felt a hair easier to move around. ...and this was when it was cold here in GA which is like 40-50F. Would I have done it again? Probably. I do believe it helped a bit, but I don't think you'll be materially worse off if you don't either.

Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Gonna buy lottery tickets with the money saved. :rockon:

nrm101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Sure... First of all, the difference was not "night and day". It was subtle, very subtle. At the end of the day, I believe it helped with that nibbling notchiness. I did notice that was reduced, and the shifter felt a hair easier to move around. ...and this was when it was cold here in GA which is like 40-50F. Would I have done it again? Probably. I do believe it helped a bit, but I don't think you'll be materially worse off if you don't either.
I just flushed the factory stuff at 10k while i wait for a new flywheel, and clutch. I was really surprised how dirty it was but no metal that i saw, only one track day with 7 runs, and a lot of spirted driving, I went with Royal Purple Synchromax to see if there is any difference, BG just seems way to pricey for the reviews people have shared.
Sponsored