How much time am I losing?

TuxedoPC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Deciding between 10" wide rims or 9.5" rims that are going to be a square set up on the vehicle.
How much cornering performance am I giving up because of this. The 10" wide wheel is a SVE pp2 replica but It wont be in stock in mid jan.
I was thinking of picking up the 9.5" rtr tech 5 wheel which is same style but is available right now which also has a similar design to the pp2 wheels.
Should I wait the between for the 10" if cornering potential increases by a large amount??
Assume that all corners will have Michelin 4s tires.
Sponsored

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
What exactly are you using the car for? I saw your other post about 9.5/10" wide and am just wondering if you are stuck to a set of rules? or how much experience you have on track? And what the goals are for your car.

OP
OP
TuxedoPC

TuxedoPC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
What exactly are you using the car for? I saw your other post about 9.5/10" wide and am just wondering if you are stuck to a set of rules? or how much experience you have on track? And what the goals are for your car.
Right now its a road race car/autocross soon to be a track car. No rules. I'm talking about how much performance are you losing when you track up the 9.5 vs the 10 when it comes to the limit. The end goal is to be a track car, but that is far ahead. Right now its a daily with full coils, just looking for rims and tires.

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
I think it would depend more on which tire you plan to use. But honestly I don't think you'd notice much of a difference with a 1/2 inch at each wheel. Lots of different factors, but I could guess you might be 1 sec slower on a ~2minute road course. (using the same tire of course).

OP
OP
TuxedoPC

TuxedoPC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I think it would depend more on which tire you plan to use. But honestly I don't think you'd notice much of a difference with a 1/2 inch at each wheel. Lots of different factors, but I could guess you might be 1 sec slower on a ~2minute road course. (using the same tire of course).
Any tires you would recommend over the 4s that last around 12-15k miles that are better preforming?

Sponsored

triox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Piotr
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
Depends on what tire width you want to fit. I'm seeing a ~5 second difference in the simulator between PP1 in PP2 on a ~1:50 sec track.
The only difference between the car models are the wheel/tire width (255/275 vs 305/305).
5 seconds is a lot, people can spend insane money for gains like that. So I would wait for the wider wheels. But I live in colder climate and tracks are closed until late March/ early April anyway.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on what tire width you want to fit. I'm seeing a ~5 second difference in the simulator between PP1 in PP2 on a ~1:50 sec track.
The only difference between the car models are the wheel/tire width (255/275 vs 305/305).
5 seconds is a lot, people can spend insane money for gains like that. So I would wait for the wider wheels. But I live in colder climate and tracks are closed until late March/ early April anyway.
PP1 has PS4S, PP2 has Sport cup 2. That's 3.5-4 of those seconds. The rest is width.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Right now its a road race car/autocross soon to be a track car. No rules. I'm talking about how much performance are you losing when you track up the 9.5 vs the 10 when it comes to the limit. The end goal is to be a track car, but that is far ahead. Right now its a daily with full coils, just looking for rims and tires.
Why are you using PS4S for that application?

For how you use it, you should be looking at a set of 19x11s square to fit 305/30R19 tires. RE71R if autocross/TT focus, Hankook R-S4 if lapping for many sessions is your gig.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP

For how you use it, you should be looking at a set of 19x11s square to fit 305/30R19 tires. RE71R if autocross/TT focus, Hankook R-S4 if lapping for many sessions is your gig.
Agreed wholeheartedly.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I can't imagine you'd be looking at even a second difference on a two minute lap, barely any time at all, assuming we're talking about 275/285 tires. You might be out a few bucks replacing tires a little bit earlier due to worse wear patterns on the narrower wheel, which might be the more significant effect.

I'd still wait for the 10s, and there are plenty out there to choose from if you must have a set now. RS4 in 275/35 would probably be a better choice than MP4S, for dry track days and autox.

11"s really are where it's at tho, especially if you have camber plates anyway (which you should get if you're serious at all about autox and track). 11" tires cost a little more per set, and the selection is different (no RS4 currently in 11" sizes), and there is upfront cost for extended studs and spacers for the front axle.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
TuxedoPC

TuxedoPC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019

You cant fit 11's on the stock spindles, and I don't want to mess with the spindles yet. 10 all around is best for me

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You cant fit 11's on the stock spindles, and I don't want to mess with the spindles yet. 10 all around is best for me
Yes you can. 19x11 with an effective offset of +24-26 (either in the wheel or with spacers) fits with around -2 deg or of camber, which is what you'd want anyway. There are numerous 19x11 square setups being run by members of this forum.

OP
OP
TuxedoPC

TuxedoPC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Yes you can. 19x11 with an effective offset of +24-26 (either in the wheel or with spacers) fits with around -2 deg or of camber, which is what you'd want anyway. There are numerous 19x11 square setups being run by members of this forum.
That works out for me because Im already running -2 degrees of camber anyway. Will look into options.

OP
OP
TuxedoPC

TuxedoPC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019

Can you recommend a tire that fits a daily drivers and can autocross and track. This is a daily so tires lasting around 12-15k miles would be nice.
Sponsored