How much time am I losing?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Can you recommend a tire that fits a daily drivers and can autocross and track. This is a daily so tires lasting around 12-15k miles would be nice.
I mean you're not going to find anything that does all of those things well. I played the compromise game for a while. It makes a ton more sense to have a long-wearing, good in the rain, quiet street tire on DD wheels, and track tires (albeit 200tw, DOT) on track wheels.

For a street tire that can DD, do alright on track and autocross, the PS4S is pretty good. It won't be competitive in autocross, and can overheat a little bit on track. Great rain tire though.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TuxedoPC

TuxedoPC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I mean you're not going to find anything that does all of those things well. I played the compromise game for a while. It makes a ton more sense to have a long-wearing, good in the rain, quiet street tire on DD wheels, and track tires (albeit 200tw, DOT) on track wheels.

For a street tire that can DD, do alright on track and autocross, the PS4S is pretty good. It won't be competitive in autocross, and can overheat a little bit on track. Great rain tire though.
I can keep my stock 18's for daily, any tires you would recommend for road racing?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I can keep my stock 18's for daily, any tires you would recommend for road racing?
My first post. For HPDE focus, Hankook R-S4 would be great. For autocross, RE71R.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
My first post. For HPDE focus, Hankook R-S4 would be great. For autocross, RE71R.

What's you focus? Fastest, cheapest running cost (including life), or easiest (change at the track or before driving to the track)?

In order of speed:
Slicks (selection better in 18" sizes, take offs very cost effective AND fast [but not easy]).
Semi-slick (Hoosier R7 type)
Streetable R compound (NT-01, R888R)
200TW "street tires" (RS4, RE71 - may be slightly faster for 1 lap than R compounds)
All rounder street tires (MPSS, MPS4)

In terms of cost (cheapest to most expensive) :
take off slicks
streetable R compound (better track life - RS4 may be similar)
All round Street tires (MPS4)
RE71R
Hoosiers
new slicks (good life but expensive, may swap places with Hoosiers)

And if you are willing to give up more performance for lower cost the Firestone Indy 500 seems to stand up to track use as good or better than MPS4, but are slower (and a lot cheaper).

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Read it again. He says himself that most people select wheels first, then tires. Though I agree, ideally you do it the other way around. But 90% of the time, people don't. So kinda unrealistic to expect them to.

Then try to talk Mustang people running 305's on 11" wheels to downsize to 285's (other than Norm). And have a look at the tires on a Formula Ford sometime (with wide [unrestricted size] tires on narrow [rule mandated] wheels).

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Read it again. He says himself that most people select wheels first, then tires. Though I agree, ideally you do it the other way around. But 90% of the time, people don't. So kinda unrealistic to expect them to.

Then try to talk Mustang people running 305's on 11" wheels to downsize to 285's (other than Norm). And have a look at the tires on a Formula Ford sometime (with wide [unrestricted size] tires on narrow [rule mandated] wheels).
I don't need to. There's a whole page listing constraints and how to go about working within those constraints. When a combination of new tires and wheels are needed, it's not unrealistic to take the proper steps to accomplish an individuals goals; when you have the right education.

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I point to the 30,000 threads in this forum asking what tires to run with the wheels I just bought/plan to buy.

Compared to the zero threads that says, I want to run this tire, what wheel should I get.

Numbers may be slightly exaggerated.

PS - my education (and 5 minutes with a Hoosier race tire catologe and a SCCA rulebook) says that when wheels are restricted, run big tires for that wheel. And when tire sizes are restricted, run big wheels for that tire. So you get as much wheel and tires as possible under the rules.

Last edited:

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Great article, Billy. Just read the whole thing. This is definitely going to be helpful to me and there's much information there I have not seen before.

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I point to the 30,000 threads in this forum asking what tires to run with the wheels I just bought/plan to buy.
They should focus on the section under constraints (actually, it's the first listed constraint), and go from there.

PS - my education (and 5 minutes with a Hoosier race tire catologe and a SCCA rulebook) says that when wheels are restricted, run big tires for that wheel. And when tire sizes are restricted, run big wheels for that tire. So you get as much wheel and tires as possible under the rules.
Then you should read the entire article front to back to expand your education. :wink:
Sponsored