Sponsored

How much power did your MT-82 handle successfully?

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I'm considering trading my 17 auto FI ( simple little 627RWHP) setup for a 16 manual shift FI setup I recently came across. I am tired of the auto to be honest and the hassle with tuning them and getting the shifting right and the firmness right and blah. blah, blah, has given me back some desire to return to a stick shift car. I had a 13 that made 568RWHP on an MT-82 and had zero issues aside from upgrading the clutch setup and shifter. I woudl be very happy with an S550 setup in the 625-650 RWHP range if the MT-82 internals can handle that and at least not drop dead in 5000 miles of spirited street driving and an occasional trip down the track.

If you are running an FI manual setup and would at least share if the MT-82 can handle 650 RWHP please let me know. I'm not looking for specific 411 on setups as I know plenty of people are grudge racing their cars at this level and don't wish to share that type of data. Just looking for some idea what the MT-82 can handle from some people who have ACTUALLY been there. Thanks.
Sponsored

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
My MT82 car makes right at 725rwhp and I'm still on the stock clutch. I don't have a ton of miles on the car and don't take it to the strip, but the trans has been great! I've got an MGW shifter, braided clutch line, steeda spring, and am running Amsoil fluid.

Whats the details on your car?

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
As with the “how much hp can the stock motor handle” question, there is no single answer to this one, either. Some mt82s break with stock power. Others handle boost and track passes all day with no problem. I think the transmission durability question is very reliant on how hard you beat on it.

cdq85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Boostey Pants
640 whp with RXT clutch. Been running strong for 20k miles. Most of my driving is very spirited and I get on it whenever I can. Only one track pass so I can't really speak from experience on that. I'm very very rarely launching the car so can't speak for that either.

OP
OP
ugstang17

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
My MT82 car makes right at 725rwhp and I'm still on the stock clutch. I don't have a ton of miles on the car and don't take it to the strip, but the trans has been great! I've got an MGW shifter, braided clutch line, steeda spring, and am running Amsoil fluid.

Whats the details on your car?
Which one? The car I am looking to purchase, the current car or one of the previous 3 FI setups? I will assume the one I am considering. It is a TVS 2300 setup that will require some much needed TLC in the line of modifications. A 79mm pulley, a set of 56lb injectors a BAP (will tune to 93 octane), and of course some HE upgrades, colder plugs, and a PROPER tune from VMP or PBD. I am waiting to hear back if it has an MGW shifter in it or not. But that will be first on the list prior to anything else if it doesn't.

I only want to see it make 650 or so and shift no higher than 7300 RPM. Not looking to beat it for all its worth. Just looking to grab some gears again. I'll regret it the first time I am stuck in traffic though.

Thanks for the data.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ugstang17

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
As with the “how much hp can the stock motor handle” question, there is no single answer to this one, either. Some mt82s break with stock power. Others handle boost and track passes all day with no problem. I think the transmission durability question is very reliant on how hard you beat on it.
I never once asked about engine limitation, nor am I looking for a magical end all be all definitive answer.....I merely seek data from people with first hand experience on any S550 PD FI configuration running an MT-82 and how the MT-82 is handling the HP based on their driving habits. And yes those driving habits will vary. I will weigh all of that into consideration and draw my own conclusions from the 411 provided from those willing to take part. Thanks.

OP
OP
ugstang17

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
640 whp with RXT clutch. Been running strong for 20k miles. Most of my driving is very spirited and I get on it whenever I can. Only one track pass so I can't really speak from experience on that. I'm very very rarely launching the car so can't speak for that either.
Thanks. Sounds like me you use entrance ramps on interstates as launch pads! LOL! :like:

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the mid 700 range with an mt-82, no issuees.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Mid 7's here as well...blew two apart then did the TR6060 swap and no issues since. Really believe its all about the drive train and tires....if everything is solid (one piece drive shaft, after market half shafts, DR's and a ceramic clutch...the weak link soon becomes the MT82.

Sponsored

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I’ve got a little over 15k on mine with the Procharger at about 600whp. No track or strip, but launch it all the time with some tire spin at least once or twice every day during my commute. Yeah, sorry I’m one of those guys.

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Which one? The car I am looking to purchase, the current car or one of the previous 3 FI setups? I will assume the one I am considering. It is a TVS 2300 setup that will require some much needed TLC in the line of modifications. A 79mm pulley, a set of 56lb injectors a BAP (will tune to 93 octane), and of course some HE upgrades, colder plugs, and a PROPER tune from VMP or PBD. I am waiting to hear back if it has an MGW shifter in it or not. But that will be first on the list prior to anything else if it doesn't.

I only want to see it make 650 or so and shift no higher than 7300 RPM. Not looking to beat it for all its worth. Just looking to grab some gears again. I'll regret it the first time I am stuck in traffic though.

Thanks for the data.
I was actually looking for info on your current car...lol. I'm wanting to get more into drag racing and wish I went with an auto car...are you just trading someone cars?

NightParade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2017 GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Holding 1000hp so far but only drive around on weekends mostly and no launching. Also have Mantic clutch, barton shifter, shaftmasters 1 piece aluminum driveshaft. If it goes i will probably either do the g force gear set or a T56 magnum XL swap. Good luck though i still enjoy driving a manual car also even though autos are faster and more consistent at the strip.