Sponsored

How much power did your MT-82 handle successfully?

OP
OP
ugstang17

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I was actually looking for info on your current car...lol. I'm wanting to get more into drag racing and wish I went with an auto car...are you just trading someone cars?
Everything but my wife is for sale. I just picked the car up last fall. I had a 14 that made 540ish at the tire and ran 10.82@131 on a stock 6R80 trans and 3.15 gear. Typical suspension items through BMR racing. Ran a 275/60/15 Radial Pro and prior to that ran a 305/45/17 R series radial. I gained consistency going to the 15 but nothing otherwise.

On this car I have done nothing but getting the tune on it completed. It makes 627RWHP on a conservative dyno on 93. It has a 2300 TVS with an 80mm pulley, ID1050's, JLT125mm CAI, VMP twin 67mm TB, and BAP. The exhaust is updated with x pipe and roush exhaust. Cats still in place. It is a 17 premium model w/Nav and lots of goodies and it is the one year White Platinum tricoat color. just rolled 5K on the OD. The suspension is stock but I have the BMR items Kelly told me to buy to beef it up. From there would be Viking adjustables on the back, the drag springs (minimal drop) and I would run the R series 305/45/17 again on a 17x9.5" or wider wheel.

PM me I'll sell if the price is right. That's how I ended up with this car. A guy asked me how much, I gave him a price and 5 minutes later he said sold.

OP
OP
ugstang17

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Thanks for the feedback guys. I do really appreciate it. It seems the Git-rag may have seen some improvements since the 11-14 era. If there is more data available please let chime in if you are willing to share. I understand otherwise if you prefer not to.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I'm over 900rwhp with a Whipple Gen3+ and ran the stock clutch and then recently upgraded to the Mantic 9000 organic (about 500 miles ago) and then pulled that back out but that's a different story. I just recently pulled the MT82 which has always worked perfectly for me with its inherent issues. I pulled it working perfectly as the day I bought the car as I am upgrading to the Tremec Magnum XL. The only reason I pulled the clutch to make this post make sense was that I bought the 2.66 first gear and needed to get my flywheel/clutch setup back to a higher, closer to stock, weight plus 26 spline discs.

My car is 95% daily driver and the other 5% was road course and the MT82 never gave me any issues. Again though, like said above, people have broken them with stock setups. My car is heavily modified and luckily not one thing has given me any issues. I've driven manuals for over 35 years and have descent road course experience. I never ran my car on 1/4 track.

OP
OP
ugstang17

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
^^^ Thanks. They aren't bullet proof by any means. But good to hear you didn't shatter it like glass days or weeks after the added mods. Thanks for the 411. Sounds like we have similar driving habits other than I would be doing the strip over corner carving. Thanks.

You're definitely going to love that T56. I have two friends locally now making over 1000RWHP each and they went that route and love their T56 setups.

Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
I never once asked about engine limitation, nor am I looking for a magical end all be all definitive answer.....I merely seek data from people with first hand experience on any S550 PD FI configuration running an MT-82 and how the MT-82 is handling the HP based on their driving habits. And yes those driving habits will vary. I will weigh all of that into consideration and draw my own conclusions from the 411 provided from those willing to take part. Thanks.
I didn’t say you asked about engine limitations. My point was that this is a question that really has no answer and anything that anyone says could be a perfectly safe number right up until it pops. I’m putting down the usual whipple 600-650 and it’s fine so far, but it all comes down to your clutch, your tires, and how you drive the car.

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
im roush stage 1 tvs system.. still on the roush tune for now since last yr.. stock clutch , and i drive it very spirited, no track days just fun days .. and ive never had one issue. with 25k miles... ill prob do the clutch next spring just so i know its done , prob go with a exedy. since ive always done there clutches, and they have always been great

OP
OP
ugstang17

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I didn’t say you asked about engine limitations. My point was that this is a question that really has no answer and anything that anyone says could be a perfectly safe number right up until it pops.
Did I ask for the magic number? Did I ask for an opinion? Did I ask for a point? No. What I asked for was data so I could make my own decision based on information under various driving habits, conditions, and setups. But if sharing your general unsolicited point makes you feel all the more important far be it from me to interfere with that. Keep up the great work. It seems you are the only one hell bent on trying to tell me my business when I never asked for an opinion, point, or "perfectly safe number". Your point is taken, and this choir member thanks you all the same for your input.

For the rest, thank you for the data. You've all been great.

OP
OP
ugstang17

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
im roush stage 1 tvs system.. still on the roush tune for now since last yr.. stock clutch , and i drive it very spirited, no track days just fun days .. and ive never had one issue. with 25k miles... ill prob do the clutch next spring just so i know its done , prob go with a exedy. since ive always done there clutches, and they have always been great
Thanks for the data. We share similar driving habits.

cobra99dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
832rwhp here. Stock Mt82 with a Mcleod RST clutch. Been powershifting it for over 18 months with this setup, probably 200 1/4 miles passes. Best run was a couple weeks ago 9.96@148 but I have run 100+ passes in the low low 10s with it. Guess Ive been lucky so far. I plan to do a Magnum when it blows though.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ugstang17

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
^^^^ DAG! TThat's gittin it done! And power shifting? WOW! Are you running a bias ply or radial at the track? Thanks for the 411.

OP
OP
ugstang17

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Gents I appreciate the 411. Looks like I need to go have a sit down with the guy who has this performance orange 16 Premium with a simple 2300 TVS package on it, take it for a beatin...I mean a test drive and then see if we can't come to some type of arrangement. Good to hear something other than horror stories on these MT-82's. It sounds like Ford has continued to improve on the MT-82 assembly process and quality of reliablity since I had my 13 GT. Appreciate all of the input.

2-tone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt m6
I am one of the few that actually liked my mt82. It held 730rwhp for two years even with the "wrong" clutch. I then destroyed a calimer stage 2 at 875 tire. Ben warned me it was iffy at that level. Went to a 6060 and that seems to be just fine at 1000rwhp.
Sponsored