How much ground clearance do I need?

raycer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Want to install Eibach Pro kit but don't want to scrape. Currently have long tubes and a Magnaflow resonator that are about 4.25- 4.5 inches from the ground with stock springs. If I do the spring kit, I will be 3.25-3.5 from the ground.
Will I scrape from driveways or bad roads/ speed bumps? What is a safe clearance?

Thanks
Sponsored

GMB Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT, 16 Escape, 21 F250 (all Ruby Red)
Vehicle Showcase
depends on the roads but at 3 " you will scrape a lot and speed bumps are out

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I was running an Eibach Pro-Kit on 20" wheels with the tires in my sig. Every now and then I would scrape somewhere, and like @GMB Racing mentioned, those speed bumps were avoided as much as possible. I'm now running Steeda springs that aren't as much of a drop and haven't had an issue.

OP
OP
raycer

raycer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
That's what I was afraid of. I'm not doing it in that case. Thanks

TheMegalodon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 Mustang GT PP
If you’d like a nice drop spring that’s not too low you could try BMR 763 minimum drop springs like I have. They’re close to stock PP spring rates and drop the front 7/8ths of an inch and the rear 1/2 an inch. I live in Edmonton with our crap roads and park underground. I don’t really have any issues with scraping, including over speed bumps and the car still looks nicely dropped.

if you do any kind of drop springs and your dampers have quite a few kms on them I would get new ones. Bilstein makes awesome dampers for our car and you can buy them from Rock Auto (CAD prices are solid). Also I’d highly advise you to replace the front strut mounts and rear shock mounts upon install to avoid failure and noise. Eibach also makes the best bump stops for our cars so I’d also recommend these bump stops for the rear and trimmed fronts will be okay: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/eib-ebs770060
If you want front Eibach bump stops here they are: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/eib-ebs770044
13BF08C0-9F6B-415F-9232-B1CDE07D3B44.jpeg

Little more wheel gap in the front due to smaller tire size than rear. My square winter setup is even. Car sits nice and level.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
raycer

raycer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Your car looks perfect. Thanks for the info. I ordered the Eibach pro kit. I remeasured and looks like i will have 4 inches clearance on a flat surface. We will see what happens. I want that look and less float on hard accel.

TheMegalodon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 Mustang GT PP
Your car looks perfect. Thanks for the info. I ordered the Eibach pro kit. I remeasured and looks like i will have 4 inches clearance on a flat surface. We will see what happens. I want that look and less float on hard accel.
That's great man! I hope you have a good experience with them. The bump stops I mentioned are the ones that are included with the Pro Kit so you're already set. Do not trim these bump stops, they're softer and better shaped than factory ones so they work well at full length.

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Want to install Eibach Pro kit but don't want to scrape. Currently have long tubes and a Magnaflow resonator that are about 4.25- 4.5 inches from the ground with stock springs. If I do the spring kit, I will be 3.25-3.5 from the ground.
Will I scrape from driveways or bad roads/ speed bumps? What is a safe clearance?

Thanks
I believe 100 mm is listed as the legal limit in a lot of places. Its around 4 inches. A vette is 105mm. I wouldnt go below 4 inches.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
I have pretty much the same drop in the front, just a tad lower. You will be OK as long as you are aware of what you try to go over. Sharp inclines like in a parking garage, driveway etc you will likely drag the exhaust. Same goes with speed bumps, some I drag some I clear.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
Where are you measuring the RH at? My off the lot PP1 car had a 6.5" RH at the pinch rails. EB pro is supposed to be a 1" drop which would just be a good start!

Sponsored
OP
OP
raycer

raycer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The lowest point is a magnaflow resonator I added in the x pipe. Stainless Works Header collectors have similar clearance.

Stang72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Fastback GT Premium PP1
The lowest point is a magnaflow resonator I added in the x pipe. Stainless Works Header collectors have similar clearance.
Merry Christmas. Following up to see how this turned out. I am considering a similar set up. Currently have the magnaflow resonator on stock wheels. Clearance is about 5 inches. I’m about to put on 20 inch wheels. With 285/35 tires the stance should be about the same. Planning to add the Eibach pro-kit that drops .9 in the front and .7 in the back. Think that will be too low for the resonator? Thanks
Sponsored