How much do you tip?

kiszl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Tripple Yellow 2015 GT
Picking up my car tomorrow from the guy who wrapped it and from photos (Still have to see in person ofcourse) I can tell he already did an incredible job and really went above and beyond. I want to tip him well but I'm not exactly sure what the standard is for tipping in the car community when someone works on your car. Any advice is appreciated
Sponsored

Wine dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT 350
Depends on how good his work was, what was the cost of the job, will he do anything else in the future? Start at 100 and go up from there

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Probably Nothing, the guy set his own price. The only way I see tipping is if the Mech is working Hourly from a larger company. I'm assuming he's charging you for labor. Also, tipping creates a big ordeal if you notice something wrong with the wrap in say a week or more. You'll be pretty pissed if you tip the guy and then they don't fix it.

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Maybe, I used to tip insanely even taking beer to the guys when the shops were working on my cars. 9 times out of 10, if there was an issue, I still had to argue to get them to fix whatever it was. ..Tint, $9k paint job, ReChroming, PC wheels, Trim polishing, Convertible Cloth install. I've had to deal with some real winners. All reputable shops that just didn't see their lack of attention to detail being their problem. I've been doing this a long time. If it's an independent, he sets his own price and gives himself the tip he wants out of the labor he's charging you.

Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
If there work is excellent and i'm happy with the job and their service my tip is to give them repeat business and recommend the shop to other people.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I'm with the other guys if he's a independent he's already set his price I wouldn't tip him.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Seems to me the owner/worker has agreed on a price, and is likely satisfied with it, or wouldn't have made the deal. I do tip in a way, if the guy is pleasant and doesn't seem to be begging for money, once he's paid I offer ten or twenty dollars in a clearly separate transaction, and say, "I'd like to buy you a cup of coffee, as well". They are usually surprised, and seem genuinely pleased. Makes me feel good, too.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Tipping is the one of the worst social constructs there is. You're getting paid for a service or job, that's your tip.

I agree except for waitress or waiters in restaurants tips are how they make their money but the tip has to be earned they don't have to fall all over me just be attentive. Nothing worse than being forgotten when your trying to enjoy your meal and your drink is empty or you need extra napkins.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I have only tipped by buying lunch or tipping the worker or Tech doing the job. Businesses don't get tips, only workers.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I agree that donuts/coffee or a lunch sandwich is the extent in many cases. Tipping is for tipped employees in hotel/restaurant/bar and other services such as drying your car at the car wash. Personally I would take it as an insult if you were to hand me $100 for a job i quoted you and got paid on. The best thing you could do for me would be to tell me how happy you are, and then share that with everyone. A referral is the best tip for a small business person.

I understand you are very pleased with the job done. I would caution you on being over generous by means of a tip in this scenario. First it's not required. Second it could easily be seen as condescending. Third it appears elitist in a case where the provider is not a tipped employee. It would be different if you pulled in to a tire store and they changed your tire for no cost and the manager said "just give the guy in back something for his trouble". That is okay. You have permission respond in kind for a gratuity you have received.

In countries like England and Japan where I have traveled (unless things have changed since 2002) tipping is not even acceptable in a bar/pub. In Japan tipping has very strict protocols and to tip would be an insult to the person providing the service. There are few instances where tipping is customary in Japan.

Again the best tip you can give this man is more business through referral and simply have the referral mention who sent them. Now that is a nice pat on the back to a tradesman.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I never heard of tipping a tech or auto service person. If someone goes above and beyond, I will make sure I let their boss know....either in person or via phone call or email. I also will give the shop a good online review.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Tech that you always ask for and does good work at a dealer/big chain place = throw em an extra $20-$40 so they keep taking care of your car

Individual that sets their prices = pay em whatever they asked for up front. If you haggled them down a bit, maybe pay the original asking price.
Sponsored