Sponsored

How many issues has your Mustang had (30k miles plus)

Spang550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Performance Package
I read a lot of conflicting things online about S550 Mustang reliability long term ranging from bullet proof to Ford turd. It’s pretty safe to say the engine is rock solid in a 5.0 with a few exceptions (early 3rd gens from ‘18 and maybe ‘19 had some issues for eco maple), but what about everything else and general build quality? I’ve owned my car from 156 miles to now 38k. The last 5k has been a massive headache of a whole series of teething issues (oil leaks, axle failures and other fun stuff). It’s got me questioning if I even want to keep this thing. If you’ve had your S550 GT for 30k miles or more (not to be mean but I don’t care if your 12k mile car has been perfect) how reliable has it been. Have you had a series of teething issues or has it been solid? I am just trying to figure out if there is light at the end of the tunnel or if these things despite how good a design they are are just shoddily built. (I mean they are shoddily built but you know what I mean ;)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Spang550

Spang550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Performance Package
Also, as a side question (didn’t want to distract from the main thing I want to glean on this forum) but I am getting the impression that newer mopars are put together a bit better than newer Mustangs and are a bit more reliable. Anyone have any thoughts on if that’s true? Thanks.

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I had to replace rear axle thrust washers for a small clunking noise. That's it.

Beaujangles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
My '19 Bullitt at 33k and heavily modified has been totally reliable...and I don't baby the car.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
These car are solid but some are not. Seems to me the ones that have problems have a lot of problems.

If you don’t trust the car, sell it and get something you can trust and don’t have to worry about.

30k miles on mine and no problems but there is always tomorrow. I do beat the car hard but don’t abuse it.

Sponsored

Dai Uy Ted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2020 Maserati Levante S Ribelle
No issues with my '19 GT Premium PP 6 speed convert, in 23k miles.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
These things are machines so sometimes things break. Some have better luck than others. For the most part, these cars are very reliable and there are lots of examples of high mileage cars out there.

I had almost 40k miles on my 2016 when I traded it in and had zero issues. Just regular maintenance stuff. Never even had the AC issues that the 2015-2017 cars are notorious for.

If you’re having issues with yours you most likely just got one of the not-so-great ones, which is bound to happen with any mass produced machine. Like others said, if it’s keeping you up at night, probably best to move on. Or at least look at another S550 as the likelihood of getting 2 clunkers is pretty low.

With regard to the Mopars, I test drove a few and know a few owners. Same thing, some have better luck than others. A friend of mine has over 120k miles on his Ram truck (it’s only 3.5 years old, he drives a lot for work) with the 6.4L Hemi. Only issue he’s had is an electrical issue that turns his ABS off randomly. They’ve finally pinpointed the issue (bad harness), they just have to tear apart the whole dash again when the new harness comes in.

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
Bought my 2015 GT PP with 13K miles in 2016, and last week it turned 130K miles. I've driven it 2 times from Los Angeles to Seattle, countless hours in stop and go LA traffic, and numerous times WOT. Everything works great as the day I took delivery. Yes, wear items have been replaced, brakes, tires, oil, filters, your normal maintenance items. AC still works great, all electronics function as they should. And yes, the stock clutch is still holding up. I have replaced the drivers rear axle nut, and front driver side lower control arm due to bushing wear. Car has been Lund tuned since day one, and on E85 95% of the time. I only switch to 91 when going on longer trips. I'd say, this car has exceeded my expectations. I plan on holding onto it for many years. I believe with consistent maintenance; your car should last a very long time. My '07 F150 with 310K miles is proof that vehicles can last you a very long time.

Last edited:

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
40k on my '18 and zero issues.

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
2021 w 15k miles on it and zero issues engine wise. The only issue was 2 bad illuminated door sills, on both sides at 2 diff times. Warranty replaced, zero issues since. But ripped them off and slapped the illuminated Roush door sills on, LOL Gonna be selling the new mustang door sills soon. =)
Anthony

Sponsored

65CrownV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/PP1
2019,GT/PP1 with all bells & whistles except magnaride. Currently at 20K miles. First problem was with the radar sensor for the adaptive cruise control within the first 500 miles. At the 33 month point the factory battery died. Numerous issues with the Michelin tires on the PP1's. Still trying to find the super strong electromagnets installed in the wheels, maybe the reason the battery died so young and could explain the weight of the wheels!

Magnetic Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
2018 PP1 with 77k miles. Flex fuel tuned and I've ran E85 95% of the time for 20k miles now. Zero issues other than a 3-4 shift fork broke around 30k miles and was covered under warranty ( some 18's had bad forks from the factory). I've changed spark plugs and I've done oil changes. It's been a great car. I've also had a 392 charger and a 5.7 charger. Had both of them for 70k+ miles. No issues with those cars either but I'd pick my Mustang over the 392 Charger any day.

Nitrousfedlx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt pp/ 2015 Ford Escape
Mine is a 2016 GT PP1 car. Has 50k miles on it. Only problem is the typical heater core issue and was replaced with the latest one and no problems since. From what I can tell like blackandblue mentioned, some have a lot of problems while others have little to none. As they say maybe the good ones were made on Wednesday. :giggle:

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
My 2017 Mustang was 100% solid. Not a single problem in its 55k life. Unfortunately it was totaled when I got rear ended.

Bought a 2021 Mustang. Here are a list of problems:
-Windshield wiper hose not installed correctly from the factory (leaked fluid when you would spray them)
-10R80 had very bad behavior, harsh and unpredictable shifting
-Camera/preclusion failed

All these problems have been fixed. But it was super annoying. All of those problems happened in the first 20k miles. Currently at 34k miles.

raydog1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
40,000 miles

ECM reset at 2500 miles due to random orange wrench. No problem with that since.
Front toe links replaced under warranty a couple of years ago probably due to all the potholes.
Sponsored