Sponsored

How long did you want a Mustang before you got one and what did it take to make it possible?

Remander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT Fastback
I always liked mustangs since I was a kid. In 2016, I got a better job and decided to get a 2017. Then they revealed the 2018, the new digital cluster and A10 transmision got my attention, so I decided to wait. Then I wanted to wait for 2019 EB because of the active exhaust and BO sound, but RC was been discontinued. So I ran to the biggest dealer I could find close to me and ordered the RC in March 28th. It took 4 months to get to the dealer due to random quality control checks...

It’s been 1 week with me and every day I stare at it. Awesome car, even though I can afford a GT, I felt the EB was the correct choice for me (first timer sport car owner)
45FD4FE6-7471-4246-88E0-BD79378D717A.jpeg
Beautiful color. I was down to that and the Magnetic Metallic that I ended up ordering. The metal flake in both is amazing.
Sponsored

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Everyone wanted a 5.0 when I was in high school. It was the hayday of the used Fox's when they started falling in the hands of the younger guys (94-97). I loved cars but never was a position to buy anything other than a 67 Camaro that still sits in my dad's garage unfinished. Had a good job but life circumstances basically took the idea of a sportscar out of my head. Divorce, credit cards, needed to have a truck,etc. Cleared everything up ang I was commenting to my wife that the truck was almost paid off and she said "oh you gonna get a mustang now?" I said "well I wasn't planning on it but maybe now I am." I had talked about a Camaro or Challenger a few times in passing but wasn't real serious, and had only just noticed the new mustangs at that point. But I was basically just given green light..lol. I think I bought it two weeks after that conversation.

rickdrews5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Prem / PP
Wanted one since I can remember. My grandma was the F&I mgr for a ford dealership for almost 30 years. Used to go see her at her work and they always had a mustang or two on the floor. When I became old enough to drive she would get the sales guys to let my brother and I drive the new mustangs, gt's, cobras, whatever was around, without anyone else, fun times! Also Ford credit was my first employer out of college, didn't even buy one then. Came close in '03 after test driving a teal cobra. Tried to buy a gt 500 when they came out and dealer pulled the last minute dealer markup bs when I showed up with my wife and trade. Turns out my neighbor was a VP for the national corp that owned the place, not a good scene for the manager that pulled the stunt. Had kids early in life, wife and I married in early twenties and when I started making decent bucks in 30's went the German route, wife and I joined the BMW club and had two BMW's, one an M which was a blast. Got two of three kids through college, last one is going to be a sophomore so I can see the light. (don't even get me started on what's really driving the cost of college)...... Anywho, turned 50 and said F* it, going to buy a Mustang, car I've always wanted more than any other. One of my closest friends who lives in Buckhead GA called the night of my Bday while I was at a party and said, "How serious are you?" He had just bought a raptor from an Atlanta area dealership a few weeks back and I told him offered a local dealership for similar car and they would not take it. Not one local dealership had a car spec'd the way I really wanted it. He knew exact specs and was literally sitting in the dealership at that moment. Told them what I would pay, found exact car, told me price and when I said yes I will be there next week he wrote a check for a deposit on my behalf. Best deal I found in the US and could not have done it without him. Flew there on 5/18, he picked me up at the airport, we headed to the dealership then hung out in town for the weekend. Drove home that Sunday. I look forward to driving this car like no other I've had - actually going to wash it here in a few minutes. :sunglasses:

Prokiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT & 2018 Mustang GT PP2
grew up in a chevy household and i wanted a trans am really bad back when i graduated high school. the mid/late 90s version. Dad and i went looking at a few places and they were either beat or out of my price range. on the way home, we passed a laser red 94 mustang gt on the way home. thing was absolutely mint. 7 years old at the time and only had 34k on it. put a down payment on it right then and came back the next day and bought it. so really i didn't want a mustang for barely 24 hours before i bought one. had that one for 2 years before upgrading to my black 94 i still have now. waited 15 years before buying my next one. still obsessed with my SN95s, but the s550s were the first to spark my interest in another model. i wanted a 15 when i first saw them, but wasn't until the 18 redesign and more financially sound before i placed the order for this one.

Sponsored

arfabe16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
My story is funny because it went from 0 to 60 *real* quick...

My dad had used to drag race in a Mustang (he had a modded '71 Mach 1) before I was born and often talked about that car longingly while I was a kid, but the Mustangs of my childhood (Foxbody and S-95) just never did it for me looks-wise. I didn't get why my dad loved Mustangs so much. I thought the S-197 looked better, but I didn't *want* one.
Then the S550 was revealed, and it was the first Mustang that made me think: "damn, it'd be nice to own one of those someday," but I didn't have a any real intention of buying one.

Then I fell in love: I drove a rental EcoBoost vert on an awesome Pacific Coast Highway road trip. I knew I *had* to have one, so I got myself a '16 EcoBoost Premium fastback as soon as I got back from my trip (I live in MI). It was, by far, the biggest impulse purchase I've ever made.

I loved that car. Unfortunately, 14 months after getting it, I was rear-ended on a highway, causing me to slam into a car in front of me. Airbags deployed, total loss... the works. Though I was fortunately mostly unharmed (this car saved my life!), I was devastated to lose my S550. Luckily, things ended up working out with insurance, and a couple of weeks later, I bought a 2017 Mustang GT Premium -- best car I've ever owned, and the first car I've modded and really made "my own."

tukn20s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
probably 1.5 years. i was never a mustang kind of guy, always a chevy guy, but once i saw a s550, that was it. i just waited for the right time to pull the trigger. i ended up with a spankin new 2017 and never looked back. one of the best decisions ever made.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
I always liked mustangs since I was a kid. In 2016, I got a better job and decided to get a 2017. Then they revealed the 2018, the new digital cluster and A10 transmision got my attention, so I decided to wait. Then I wanted to wait for 2019 EB because of the active exhaust and BO sound, but RC was been discontinued. So I ran to the biggest dealer I could find close to me and ordered the RC in March 28th. It took 4 months to get to the dealer due to random quality control checks...

It’s been 1 week with me and every day I stare at it. Awesome car, even though I can afford a GT, I felt the EB was the correct choice for me (first timer sport car owner)
45FD4FE6-7471-4246-88E0-BD79378D717A.jpeg
Gorgeous color and one that I am currently looking at if I finally decide to sell my 2015 LE

abharwani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT Premium
I was always an import guy and never into American cars until the '15 came out (mainly because of the updated interior). I've liked them since then and finally bought a '17 last year.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
As a kid in the 70s I was more into Trans Ams and Camaros, because the Mustang II just didn't do it for me. In high school and college (late 80s - early 90s) I really wanted a 5.0 Mustang (or an IROC-Z) but the insurance for those on a young male driver was impossible for me. I think the base price of an '89 Mustang LX 5.0 Sport was something dirt cheap like $11,000, but the insurance would have been more than the car payments.

So I had to wait until I was 25 before I got my first "sporty" car... and in 1995, my choice between the 215 hp Mustang GT and the 275 hp 4th-gen Z28 did not go in the Mustang's favor. I didn't get a Mustang until my 2011 GT model.

Sponsored

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Never really wanted one except for a 65-70 for a long time.

2013 GT500 came out and I was blown away with it. I was sitting on my buddy's couch and before I even showered or did anything I drove to the dealership and test drove a white 2012 GT premium because I couldn't afford the big sister. Went home, got ready and called my dad. He came for a test drive and I ended up having them locate a silver base car. Picked it up a few days later.

My payments on my truck were $250 a month, and the Mustang was $400, but with the fuel savings it worked out pretty similar.

Osofast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium
Vehicle Showcase
Wanted one when I was in high school in 1988 wow that was long ago, had an 87 gt in 89 and the and 88 gt in 90-92, then life changes had to be responsible and kids don’t really fit well in a sports car.
Kids are for the most part independent and don’t factor in to a choice of car, so I have 2018 gt that I just acquired a couple months ago.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
About a month. Woke us one day and realized my kids are grown and I don’t need a SUV anymore. Went and test drove a couple and I was hooked.

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
When I was a young man I wanted to buy a 1986 GT. My insurance agent talked me out of it as it would too expensive. I was crushed. Fast forward to 1993, purchased my first Mustang, an LX 5.0. Went through a bad time and had to trade it for a more practical 4X4 Ranger. That is when I realized that I did not feel right (not myself) driving the truck. That unsettled feeling prompted me one day in 1998 to go looking at Mustangs. Not finding anything until a salesman at a local dealer said 'I think one of our managers is driving GT'. When it pulled around the corner I swear I thought the sun came out from behind a cloud at that moment and I was speechless. There she was, all Bright Atlantic Blue with black stripes. Fast forward again to 2003 and sat behind the wheel of a Mach1 looking out the windshield gazing at the engine sticking through the hood! I had to have one, waited patiently, and 'rescued' a Torch Red one from CarMax as the original owner gave her up to them for adoption at less than a year old. Drove the 'girls' to over 100K miles each as daily drivers. Got out of the real world and took a job at a Ford dealership. Thinking about a newer Mustang to give the 'girls' a retirement. Not sure about the 2015 Mustang styling until I saw it in person. Drove a GT and had to order one. Even used order code 'X' so my name showed up on the window sticker. By far still one of the most gorgeous cars ever designed, that I swear looks better as time goes by. PS. I was able to finally purchase and restore a 1984 GT (yeah, like the first one that got away all those years ago).
my 1998 gt.jpg
Ford-Mustang_Mach_1-2003-1024-0e.jpg
My 2015 Mustang GT.jpg
Another Mustang.jpg

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
Lol so many "nice" stories here. Mine is complete opposite but says alot about the mustang in general. I wanted the best bang for buck 0-60 car I could get. Handling didn't matter. Looks were important too. Was about to get a used 2014 but the opportunity came up to order a 2015 gt. Heard good things about the motor. I knew ford wasn't as bad quality wise as it was like 10-20 years ago. Been pretty happy with my decision. Especially that I got the employee discount and extra 1k off with costco thing. Was such a steal.
Sponsored