Sponsored

How long did you want a Mustang before you got one and what did it take to make it possible?

Dory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have wanted one for about 1.5 years now and have been slowly saving for a down payment. I had a 5 year plan to make it happen. I was holding out for a new GT. I have gotten tired of waiting so 3 weeks ago I started looking for a new higher paying job and am in the process of finalizing that switch now lol. I should be able to get it without feeling guilty in 18 months.
Sponsored

Mhjr74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKS, Ford Explorer
I've been wanting to get another Mustang since I traded my 1992 oxford white Mustang GT in for a Mercury Sale in 2006. ( BIG MISTAKE!!!! Should have gotten something better.) I needed a family car. The 2018/2019 S550 was the first update/remodel that made me say, "now is the time". My 2019 oxford white GT PP2 just went into production on July 30. I should be getting my car by the end of the month.

NotALizard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
My dad had a 1990 fox body 5.0 growing up & I've loved mustangs ever since. I graduated college a few months ago, already had a job lined up, and i just bought mine last week! Loving every minute of it.

CFUG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I started looking for a 3rd car on a Saturday, narrowed it down to a Mustang Sunday and took delivery on a 2018 GT that Tuesday. What did it take to make it possible? A strong distaste for my Porsche Cayenne!

You college kids. Strapping yourself down with huge car payments, LOL. I retired from aerospace and the grads there were driving Ford Focus and other sensible first-car choices.

Sponsored

bless0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ingot Silver GT/PP/AE/MR Recaros
I started liking the 2015 and newer GTs for a few months. The more i saw them and heard them with after market exhaust i got the bug. I told my wife in mid May that i think i wanted one. I wanted a 6sp manual Premium with
the performance package. I looked at a few 2015 and 2016's with mileage in the low 30K range all of them were well over 31K. I had a 2014 VW GLI with 70K miles on it as a trade. Most dealers offered me $6500 on trade.
I did some homework and decided any 2015 or 2016 with over 20K miles is a $25k-$28k car, so i wasn't going to pay $30K + for a car and be upside down whenever i wanted to trade it in. So i looked for the best deal possible.
Finally in the end of May i found my 2017 Triple yellow GT Prem/PP with 1890 miles on it. I got $9600 on trade for my car and i got the car down to $29,500. The salesman told me that the end of the month does work. They were going to take it to auction on June 4th if i didn't buy it. The car had 20Inch Roush split 5 spoke polished wheels on it with Cooper Zeon RS3-S. Since having the car I've added a CAI, roush axle back exhaust, SCT X4 tune, BMR lowering springs and i went with the stock 19" Performance Pack wheels.
stang3.jpg

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
I started looking for a 3rd car on a Saturday, narrowed it down to a Mustang Sunday and took delivery on a 2018 GT that Tuesday. What did it take to make it possible? A strong distaste for my Porsche Cayenne!

You college kids. Strapping yourself down with huge car payments, LOL. I retired from aerospace and the grads there were driving Ford Focus and other sensible first-car choices.
Let me guess, engineer? You ran the wrong equation.:)

Gojr47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I was in middle school when I saw a white convertible SN95 in the parking lot that I thought was bad ass. I got my first car (a Fusion) after college through Ford's recent college grad program cause I didn't have any credit. A couple years later I told myself, "f&%@ it, I'm going to get the car I want" so I got my mustang. Not the best financial decision but I don't regret it.

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
Started looking at Mustangs in April 2012. Bought house in November 2012. Had no extra money until 2015.

Traded my 2007 Eclipse for $6500 and got x-plan plus some incentives plus 0% for 72 months financing. Ended up financing a hair over $30k on a $42k car.

Yes, I know financing for 72 months is stupid. I was/am confident I can make the payments and never was upside down on the loan. The Eclipse needed about $4000 worth of service if I was to keep it, and that's roughly the hit I took in equity, except I came out of it with a new car with a full warranty. Worth it to me.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
When I was 8 years old my dad bought my mom a brand new 1968 Mustang coup Candy Apple Red black interior 6 cylinder automatic trans. When I was 16 I learned to drive in that car then my dad sold it. In 1984 I almost bought a 3.8 power hatchback but couldn't afford the insurance so I didn't. So it was 2015 when I could finally afford the insurance the car payment and got the car of my dreams a 2015 Ecoboost Mustang convertible.

Soco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
19 DHG Bullitt, 15 F-150 3.5l EB
Ive wanted one since before i could drive, dad used to drag race and had an old racer buddy with a lightning when i was younger, always been a "car guy" and big movie fan, followed all the motorsports, always watching the latest performance car to come out, grew up in a ford family so always kind of gravitated toward mustang, neighbor had a 06 white convertible with red interior, throughout the years all the various improvements and other buddies having some i really wanted one more and more, got a new job last September pay was more than i ever thought at my age with my experience, in January they pulled this green car on stage at the Detroit Auto show and i said to my dad "i want that car, I'm going to get that car", went and saw it at the washington auto show a couple weeks later, order banks opened in March and i ordered a Bullitt on 4/3. Got my allocation about two months later, and it got built on 7/18, the whole time I worked overtime a bunch, sold my bike, cashed in alot of savings stuff, and other things. Saved up as much as possible and kept my credit up. Had my down payment taken care of and was able to get a decent rate on financing. Well i took delivery of my dream car two days ago and i can't even describe how happy i was to sit in it and start it up, that short drive home was a smile ear to ear. She will stay parked in a garage when I'm not driving it and will be taken care of but im still a 23 year old with a mustang so ill be honest here I'm gonna drive the piss out of it while it's under warranty.
0AC66DA3-3B86-41D9-96E3-D3ADE40BC47F.jpeg
EA5F0776-8083-4334-9792-55DD155D0194.jpeg

GDDYP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost Fastback (ETA 9/15/18), 1961 Thunderbird Hardtop
I guess I've loved Mustangs since the get-go, I begged my Mom to send away for one of the promotional models (a baby blue hardtop) available when the cars were introduced in 1964.

But on real cars, that's sort of hard to answer as I've had two prior Mustangs, a red 2009 V-6 coupe, and a 2012 GT coupe.The 2009 was a dealer trade with the mid-year special wheels, so pretty much instant gratification. The 2012 I had on order over 10 months (the original dealer had no allocation but did not share that with me, wasting 8 months). The car I'm waiting for now was ordered on 6/21, if the dealer ETA holds, the wait will be about 2 months (forever, LOL).

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I wanted one since I was a kid, I would guess 14ish. I started working and saving from 14, diligently followed and built up my credit from 18, and bought my car at 22.

There were plenty of times where I thought I'd never actually get it and I was told that by others. It took some time but I accomplished my goal and can now enjoy paying for it for the next 6 years too lol.

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
Mustangs before the s550 i did not like them that much. But when i saw the sketches and the pics like in 2013 i said this mustang is the one to buy.
So when ford released the official fotos i went on to sell the car i had and i ordered a 2016 waited a year just cause they always have issues the first production cars. Couldnt be happier with my car.
Sponsored