Sponsored

How do you make an opossum leave your engine bay?

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Humans are animals too. We've been here (in some form) just as long as any other critter.
I can't tell if serious? Human evolution has not been around for as long as other critters, most have been around for millions of years longer than primates.

OP any updates?

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Yeah, killing is always the best solution and it makes you feel all manly, don’t it? :mad:
Nothing manly about it. I call it survival of the fittest. But I live in the country and it's more important for my dogs and cats to eat than the raccoons and opossums. They come up on my deck, shit on things, eat the food, drink the water, and make a mess. There's nothing sacred about that to me. I kill them and throw them in the hedge line for the vultures. If I found one on the top of my engine, I'd grab it by the tail, throw it on the ground, and feed it to the vultures too. They are a nuisance. Problem solved.

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Its a juvenile
It might ball up between unibody and somewhere else.

Try garden hose?
If that doesnt work, just wash your car and it may leave during or shortly after the noise dies down.

It may jam itself up somewhere impossible to remove it without killing it, so best to let it self evict?

If absolute emergency and you can see it, I have used a rag completely soaked with starter fluid worked up in recess w a cat (wedged behind grill after low speed impact). Make sure no starter flyid can hit the face or eyes and permanently blind it. Work quickly w animal lucid and maybe weakly resisting, dont go for total knockout, just groggy. Recovery can be very quick, lol.

Any update after 7 hrs?

Stripler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
Another possibility if you start the car and it is still hiding in the engine bay is that it dies there and you can't get it out. Then your car will smell horrible for a while. The mothball idea is good. It will probably leave at nightfall to go foraging for food.

Hopefully it is just the one and not a whole family which I found in the engine compartment of a work car after driving 10 miles in it.

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Relocate it, they are harmless. I'm impressed with the mostly humane suggestions here. As a former 10 year Corvette boards regular, this thread would have quickly devolved into the most gruesome way to annihilate the poor critter.

Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm thinking the only place that would cause a bloody mess is the radiator fan and belt area. I'd look that over good, maybe use one of those extending mirror tools and a flashlight. If you can have someone watch that area. Bring it up to temp and pray he doesn't stick his head out and get wrapped up in the belts. Hopefully after the engine gets hot you can shut it off and close the hood and maybe the heat would drive him out. I'm thinking even a opossum would have survival skills to leave something that is hot especially laying on a hotplate like a catalytic converter.

Something I've done to vacate a primate (my buddy sleeping in a car). put a smoke bomb in a torn apart beer can and set it in the floorboard of the car with the windows up. Worked on him. That did stink up the car pretty good for a while, might have even been soot on the windshield on the drive home. Not sure how much the smell would get into the cab of your car if you set a few off under your car. meh, probably not a good idea.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited

Tom C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible
I spray straight ammonia into my garbage cans to keep bears and raccoons away and it does the job. Wonder if that'd work for your problem?

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
Based on this post, I guess I shouldn’t post pictures during deer season.... someone might get offended and Tell Bernie Sanders or Hillary
Sponsored