How do i get rid of raspy sound?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
The bottle resonators killed all my rasp. I don't have headers though.
The resonators mentioned above(bottle/bullet/etc) will definitely kill most, if not all, rasp. This is with or without headers. Since resonators work by canceling out certain frequencies, the resonators mentioned above are made(tuned) to cancel out the high pitched frequencies aka rasp.
Sponsored

ckendri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have Stainless Bros resonators which are straight through and have no restriction. They will help with the rasp and drone and give a deeper tone. You can hear my exhaust at RM Motor Werks website.
That actually sounds pretty good. I need to get mine back together and post a clip.

jdoug

Regular Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
I don't think you will. I think it's just a characteristic of having 32 valves. I have a Steeda h-pipe and it has accentuated the rasp. Maybe not as much as an x-pipe but it is raspier than the OEM resonator.
I disagree, unless you have aftermarket mufflers. With stock mufflers and a Steeda H, mine sounds just like stock except a little louder.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
I disagree, unless you have aftermarket mufflers. With stock mufflers and a Steeda H, mine sounds just like stock except a little louder.
True and when i just had Roush axle back with stock res it was louder but no rasp.

Changing the resonator obviously brings on the rasp. Now I have a H-pipe and it has some rasp but not annoying like a X-pipe... Sorry X-pipe guys, it sounds loud as fuk but man the rasp is deafening.

Last edited:

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I love the rasp, so I would say definitely do not do what I did (x-pipe and the roush axle back). Before I took the stock resonator off, it still had some rasp. I think if you want no rasp, but want aftermarket exhaust, I would go with a magnaflow or dynomax style since they are not a chambered style setup. I've always found the more traditional fiberglass-packed exhausts sound more mellow. I think (Not positive) the larger the muffler body, the lower your tone is going to be. I had a dynomax welded on another car and it quieted the turbo whine by an awful lot.

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Maybe I have just lost interest in loud non catted exhaust, but I think the stock (non-active) exhaust on 18 plus GTā€™s is just perfect. Zero rasp. Plenty of rumble at wot and nice and reasonable (imo) the other 98% of the time.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Maybe I have just lost interest in loud non catted exhaust, but I think the stock (non-active) exhaust on 18 plus GTā€™s is just perfect. Zero rasp. Plenty of rumble at wot and nice and reasonable (imo) the other 98% of the time.
That was too quiet for me. It does sound better than the 15-17, but I wanted to really hear that V8 scream.

19VelocityBlueGt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 velocity blue gt pp1 10r80
That was too quiet for me. It does sound better than the 15-17, but I wanted to really hear that V8 scream.
Put longtubes on it.. That will make it scream lol šŸ˜‚ šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤£