Sponsored

How difficult is it to punch out the honeycomb holes?

OP
OP
trojannemo

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Bumper off... its easier than you think (2 bolts in the fender well are the bitch though)... Then do this...
Intake 1.jpg
Intake 2.jpg
Intake 3.jpg
Intake 4.jpg
Intake 5.jpg
Did you use that same saw method for the large center section of the upper grill? Do you have a pic of how that came out? I do want to do this at some point.
Sponsored

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
I'm thinking about doing something similar for my '18 EcoBoost. Would like to go with the GT grills. The original plan was to cut out the honeycomb in the lower grill to expose the new intercooler but I think I like seeing it through the open honeycomb instead.

It was mentioned that removing the grills is tough. How bad is it?

300mag

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Prem Vert
I'm thinking about doing something similar for my '18 EcoBoost. Would like to go with the GT grills. The original plan was to cut out the honeycomb in the lower grill to expose the new intercooler but I think I like seeing it through the open honeycomb instead.

It was mentioned that removing the grills is tough. How bad is it?
you need to pull front bumper, bumper comes off easy IMO the most difficult part is the 2 fender screws. once bump is off its very easy. if you need I have brand new upper and lower GT grill in box that im going to be listing as soon I get a chance to remove from box and take pictures, selling for $125 shipped.

Sheenapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Why is everyone pulling their front bumper just for this..? Took a dremel ~20 minutes 3 years ago to accomplish this task. For those that are asking, it reduces IATs from 5+ over ambient to 2-3 over ambient while moving at highway speeds. City driving is soak city, so don’t expect much of a change there

JPJr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
The ACC adapter is mounted to the radiator support. As long as you don't cover it with something metal, it'll work just fine.

20171207_160533_25.jpg
ACC.png

Sponsored

OP
OP
trojannemo

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
And it's working ok with your GT350 bumper? Because multiple bumpers and grills specifically say that they don't work. Why would they limit their sales if it wasn't true?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
And it's working ok with your GT350 bumper? Because multiple bumpers and grills specifically say that they don't work. Why would they limit their sales if it wasn't true?
Probably its a hit or miss proposition. Even if a manufacturer found it worked 90% of the time, they will say its not compatible. It's pointless for them to say it may or may not work. At best that sounds like they don't have their act together.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
I've got a 2016 California Special with ACC, have you considered using that upper or lower grill? I think they look awesome.

JPJr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
Either that, or that they just didn't bother testing it.

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
I've got a 2016 California Special with ACC, have you considered using that upper or lower grill? I think they look awesome.
From your photos it looks like you have the same acc grill as on all the other Mustangs with it, no?
View media item 13906

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
So I like this idea of a more breathable grille, I am thinking if the cervini grills for my 18. My question is, how bad will the increased drag be? Will there noticable or violent hood movement? Will putting in a hood vent or replacing with a better vented aftermarket hood become necessary? Living in AZ I believe more air flow is a good thing given the temps for half the year. Granted I would also love a new hood down the road but at $1800 for a carbon fiber hood, it's not in the cards for a while.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I did only the air box honeycombs with a "plug" remover, size I forget. Drag & hood flutter are issues.

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
If you have a router, its a whole lot easier to take off the excess backing to uncover the holes. Whole lot easier than the sawing or dremel method and it comes out looking OEM finished once you sand it afterwards.

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
If you have a router, its a whole lot easier to take off the excess backing to uncover the holes. Whole lot easier than the sawing or dremel method and it comes out looking OEM finished once you sand it afterwards.
I have a Dremel and orbital sander ready to work on mine soon. Sounds like I should put them awhile and borrow my buddies router instead. How long did it take with the router?
Sponsored