Sponsored

How did Ford test the 5.0?

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
I remember reading once that Ford tested the 5.0 engine by keeping the revs around 7k for days on end. Do the engineers really do intense stress tests like those or is it more of a myth?
Sponsored

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Wow that's a fantastic article. One of the more interesting tests was the temperature shock test. Wot for minutes only to shut off the engine and freeze it. Then rinse and repeat for hours.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Yeah, if it was able to take that abuse, it makes you wonder about all the "ticks" and "rattles"...:facepalm:
It's a mass produced engine, not all are created equal. Some can blow being driven by a granny, and some people have blown these things at the track with far less abuse than in the article.

One thing I do wonder is if they perform all these tests on every iteration. This article is for the gen 1 build where it was a brand new engine. It wouldn't surprise me if, for the sake of r&d costs, the same level of stress testing wasn't performed for every iteration of this engine.

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
I'm on my 3rd Coyote with no major issues and I beat my cars really hard.

OP
OP

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
It's a mass produced engine, not all are created equal. Some can blow being driven by a granny, and some people have blown these things at the track with far less abuse than in the article.

One thing I do wonder is if they perform all these tests on every iteration. This article is for the gen 1 build where it was a brand new engine. It wouldn't surprise me if, for the sake of r&d costs, the same level of stress testing wasn't performed for every iteration of this engine.
Now that's a great point. I'm sure when a brand new engine is introduced you need several tests to ensure its durability. But after that ehh who knows.