Sponsored

How come the front grill is 90% closed right at the air entrance?

panic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Wouldn't it be better to have an open up front grill that allowed plenty of fresh air into the filter área? I've noticed that right in the place where is positioned the air income going to the air filter is tapped with plastic...

Is grill delete an option to cure this?

BTW, I've just got the Steeda CAI and I'm a bit frustrated by the air temp at the intake, much higher when stuck in traffic and still higher when running on open roads...
Sponsored

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
The stock intake has a duct that goes to the holes in the grille so I don't think more holes would make a difference, maybe with an aftermarket one though

OP
OP
panic

panic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The stock intake has a duct that goes to the holes in the grille so I don't think more holes would make a difference, maybe with an aftermarket one though
The Steeda CAI keeps the under air intake of the stock piece and I've checked where it ends up by the grill and it finishes in a small area where there is barely a hole in the grill honeycomb, all the other holes around it are tapped...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, '21 330i (Wifemobile)
BTW, I've just got the Steeda CAI and I'm a bit frustrated by the air temp at the intake, much higher when stuck in traffic and still higher when running on open roads...
I have the same CAI and my IATs are always right around 5-7 degrees above ambient if I'm traveling 40mph or faster. In traffic, yes, they skyrocket, but that also has to do with the fact that the Steeda CAI is an open-top design. At least the intake is right under the hood vent, so there is a place for hot air to escape and/or cooler air to be pulled in.

As far as the holes (or lack thereof) in the stock grille, I think they are insufficient as well and I have plans to pick up a Cervini C-Series grille kit in the near future. If you're handy with a rotary tool though, you could also do a grille delete on your own using the stock parts.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Because you don't want rain water bugs and other stuff gets sucked into the intake at high speed damaging the filter.
Plus that little bit of air pressure won't make your engine breath better because the suction is way stronger. Kinda reminds me one of these electric fans sold as supercharger.
It's kinda like when someone removes the bracing on the hood saving 50lbs on a 3800lbs plus driver weight. The benefits are not worth the improvements.

OP
OP
panic

panic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have the same CAI and my IATs are always right around 5-7 degrees above ambient if I'm traveling 40mph or faster. In traffic, yes, they skyrocket, but that also has to do with the fact that the Steeda CAI is an open-top design. At least the intake is right under the hood vent, so there is a place for hot air to escape and/or cooler air to be pulled in.
When I had the stock intake the temp difference was when moving about 3/4 c grades, now it's never 20/25 c above outer temp (expressed in centigrades), very peculiar issue, mine is an euro Mustang hence it doesn't have the hood vent but I've bout them in USA (Roush) and have cut the hood and insert them so I don't see why I should see this difference. The vent is able to suck out hot air, maybe it should be inverted to get outer fresh air in?

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
When I had the stock intake the temp difference was when moving about 3/4 c grades, now it's never 20/25 c above outer temp (expressed in centigrades), very peculiar issue, mine is an euro Mustang hence it doesn't have the hood vent but I've bout them in USA (Roush) and have cut the hood and insert them so I don't see why I should see this difference. The vent is able to suck out hot air, maybe it should be inverted to get outer fresh air in?
The temperature is never accurate called heat soak. Your MAF gets heat up but not cooling down fast enough when the engine is actually sucking colder air.
Also someone did a test that the increase in air temperature makes barely difference in power.
[ame]

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
i got the roush fascia which doesn't even have the holes for the intake on the grille like oem and it changed my iat's a whopping zero... the roush also has a wide open bottom grill so i imagine air is just rushing in from the bottom.

point is, there is a reason why we have grilles and not having everything exposed both for protection and aerodynamics.

take nascar for example...they try to keep it closed off as much as possible with tape for aero and downforce... that's obviously racing and a whole other scenario but I guess an example. either way you don't want drag.

blk_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CO 2015 GT PP
In the episode of Jay Leno's garage covering the GT350, they say it was for aerodynamics. I assume that it is the same on the GTs

Sponsored

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, '21 330i (Wifemobile)
Because you don't want rain water bugs and other stuff gets sucked into the intake at high speed damaging the filter.
Rain water and bugs in your intake filter are the least of your worries while driving the car fast. I'd be FAR more concerned about traction and steering at high speeds. Besides, there is already a sizeable factory hole in my hood right above my CAI filter that can allow water in when I'm driving or stopped in a torrential downpour and it has zero possibility of damaging my engine. Also, I would argue that it's impossible for a bug, no matter how large, sucked in through the front snorkel to cause any physical damage to the filter. Since the air flows in an "L" shape through the intake (when looking from the side), the bug's velocity would be slowed significantly when it smacks the interior wall of the intake. It's speed, if it even reached the filter and didn't just settle on the bottom, would be significantly slower, negating any risk of damage.

Please refer to this 1:16 scale-sized, highly-accurate, CAD-produced 3D graphic of the Steeda CAI to see what I mean...
intake_bug.png

JoshMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2003 Mach 1, 64.5 Coupe
Ford spent countless hours and money designing the front end for the specific airflow characteristics of the S550. The video below is a awesome piece that details some of that and

gives a pretty cool look of how the grille, hood vents and front lip aerodynamically work together.

While I do love the look of aftermarket grilles, I have no doubt that none of them do any kind of wind tunnel testing. I know that we aren't all out doing top speed runs so the

negative effects that opening up the grille has on airflow and increased drag probably don't bother folks. I would like to see two cars side by side in a high speed race, one with a

stock grille the other with a delete/popular replacement to see when the aerodynamic advantage of the stock grille became evident.

[ame]

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Ford spent countless hours and money designing the front end for the specific airflow characteristics of the S550. The video below is a awesome piece that details some of that and

gives a pretty cool look of how the grille, hood vents and front lip aerodynamically work together.

While I do love the look of aftermarket grilles, I have no doubt that none of them do any kind of wind tunnel testing. I know that we aren't all out doing top speed runs so the

negative effects that opening up the grille has on airflow and increased drag probably don't bother folks. I would like to see two cars side by side in a high speed race, one with a

stock grille the other with a delete/popular replacement to see when the aerodynamic advantage of the stock grille became evident.

Totally agree! On youtube there is a viper ta vs supercharged 15 gt highway race video. The gt in that video has grill delete, if you carefully watch what happens when they both speed you can see the hood of the gt lifting up due to incoming excess air flow and the hood vents are not enough to push it out. Not only that, it slows the car down due to air brake scenario of the air not escaping from the front through the top of the hood. Its all aerodynamics. Smaller the grill openning, more sharp and pointy the front is ( less area of contact with air) the better. For example rocket cars and some electric cars. You do need just enough air to cool of the engine bay and provide O2 for combustion.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Totally agree! On youtube there is a viper ta vs supercharged 15 gt highway race video. The gt in that video has grill delete, if you carefully watch what happens when they both speed you can see the hood of the gt lifting up due to incoming excess air flow and the hood vents are not enough to push it out. Not only that, it slows the car down due to air brake scenario of the air not escaping from the front through the top of the hood. Its all aerodynamics. Smaller the grill openning, more sharp and pointy the front is ( less area of contact with ai) the better.
The hood lifts even with the stock grills.
Sponsored