Sponsored

Horn stopped working

raceredftw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/ Performance Pack
As the title states, my horn recently stopped working. I noticed it two days ago when I went to lock my car. The horn will not sound when I hit the button in the steering wheel, nor will it work when I double click the key fob lock button.

Before I completely lose my patience with this car (my A/C is busted too, out of warranty), what could the possible causes be? Fuse? The horn itself? Wiring?
Sponsored

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
As the title states, my horn recently stopped working. I noticed it two days ago when I went to lock my car. The horn will not sound when I hit the button in the steering wheel, nor will it work when I double click the key fob lock button.

Before I completely lose my patience with this car (my A/C is busted too, out of warranty), what could the possible causes be? Fuse? The horn itself? Wiring?
It may sound silly, but check the basics first. Fuse. If fuse is fine, check the horn wiring under the hood. I forget how it looks, but I've had this happen on another car where the wires to the horn were those spade connectors that weren't fully on from the factory and vibrations shook them loose and the horn disconnected itself.

OP
OP
raceredftw

raceredftw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/ Performance Pack
On my lunch break today I was able to check the fuses, and they were fine. I checked both the horn fuse and the horn relay.

I spoke to a guy at work about it and he guessed it was potentially gonna be the horn itself. He actually pointed out where it was located in the driver's side of the front bumper in about 5 seconds - only thing is, I can't figure out how to get to it without pulling off the bumper.

Other issue I'm potentially about to face is this - let's say I figure out a way to access the horn, and I see that everything is connected properly. How do I check to see if the horn itself is broken without swapping in a new horn to see if it works?

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
On my lunch break today I was able to check the fuses, and they were fine. I checked both the horn fuse and the horn relay.

I spoke to a guy at work about it and he guessed it was potentially gonna be the horn itself. He actually pointed out where it was located in the driver's side of the front bumper in about 5 seconds - only thing is, I can't figure out how to get to it without pulling off the bumper.

Other issue I'm potentially about to face is this - let's say I figure out a way to access the horn, and I see that everything is connected properly. How do I check to see if the horn itself is broken without swapping in a new horn to see if it works?
You can use a volt meter on the leads of the horn to check for resistance. If resistance shows 0 then horn is shot. Good idea to also check for resistance on the wires connecting to the leads as well. I don't know exactly what resistance they should be though. Maybe someone can chime in about that.

phils6G-GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 6spd
if you determine that the horn does need replacement, I found the best way to getting to it, on my '15 GT, is by removing the splash guard, the horn is on the drivers side in the engine bay. There is plenty of room to reach the one support nut with a socket wrench. Recommend you remove the electrical connection first, horn removal is easy.
I got my Ford factory p/n Product SKU: FR3Z-13832-G from https://autopartscheaper.com/ for $20.92. It's sounds great again.
20200531_105855.jpg
20200531_105804.jpg
20200531_105858.jpg

Sponsored

Pipeliner15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang S550

Did you ever find solution to your problem? I have same problem with my 15 Gt, no horn and no A/C

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I took the dam horn out. Tired of hearing it all the time
Sponsored