Sponsored

Taillights stopped working

The Great Gazoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Silver GT/Auto
A nice fellow flagged me down the other morning and said my taillights were out. The lights were on the Automatic position and it was dark so they should have been on. I got to work and put the lights in the regular on position and they were not on. I turned the dial back and forth a few times and the same thing - not working. Brake lights, turn signals and hazards work fine though. There is no warnings coming up on the dash that anything is wrong.

I checked the owner's manual and see no fuse just for that function.

I have no mods to the taillights but do have some Diode Dynamics switchbacks that have been on the car for about a year with no problems.

Any ideas? Should I pull the terminal on the battery and try a reset? Or is it time to bring into the dealer? Advise on the switchbacks?
Sponsored

DSteill72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Performance Pack - Deep Impact Blue
I had a tail light stop working after a similar install. I decided to unhook, and re-connect the battery before getting too crazy or taking it into the dealership. Lucky for me, tail light worked just fine after the reset. So I would give it a try first.

If no such luck, then yes, to the dealer. Those tail lights are extremely expensive. Not worth your hassle with a warranty!

OP
OP
The Great Gazoo

The Great Gazoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm going to give that a try in a few minutes. ALL my taillights are out so hopefully a "reboot" fixes it. Otherwise, I'm pulling the DD switchbacks and putting the originals back in before bringing it to the dealer. I don't want any BS from them.

Diode Dynamics

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
I'm going to give that a try in a few minutes. ALL my taillights are out so hopefully a "reboot" fixes it. Otherwise, I'm pulling the DD switchbacks and putting the originals back in before bringing it to the dealer. I don't want any BS from them.
The front and rear turn signal and running lights are on 100% different circuits, but yeah, this is still a good idea.

OP
OP
The Great Gazoo

The Great Gazoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The front and rear turn signal and running lights are on 100% different circuits, but yeah, this is still a good idea.
I tried a reboot and problems still existed. The taillights would come on for about once second and then turn off.

I took out the DD bulbs and put back in the stock ones. I put in the left side stocker first and then tested it. The left side taillight worked! I pulled the DD bulbs out of the right side and then the right side taillight also worked. Weird.

I had also pulled the DD LED H11 foglights and put the stockers back in as I thought I might have to bring in the car.

Both the DD bulbs had the LED housing separated from the base. Not sure if that happened when I was removing them, but it seemed like it was loose in the socket as I pulled them out.

I also had the resistors on there from eBay to stop the hyperblink. That might have had something to do with it.

I guess I will just run with the stock lights now. :(

Sponsored

Diode Dynamics

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
I tried a reboot and problems still existed. The taillights would come on for about once second and then turn off.

I took out the DD bulbs and put back in the stock ones. I put in the left side stocker first and then tested it. The left side taillight worked! I pulled the DD bulbs out of the right side and then the right side taillight also worked. Weird.

I had also pulled the DD LED H11 foglights and put the stockers back in as I thought I might have to bring in the car.

Both the DD bulbs had the LED housing separated from the base. Not sure if that happened when I was removing them, but it seemed like it was loose in the socket as I pulled them out.

I also had the resistors on there from eBay to stop the hyperblink. That might have had something to do with it.

I guess I will just run with the stock lights now. :(
Please contact our team and we will work with you to make sure you are taken care of: [email protected]

Nick C.

hyperpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT RR
check with the dealer there is a SSM for Rear Tail Lamp, Turn Lamp Or Stop Lamp Partial Outage on the 2015-2016 mustangs
Sponsored